Options

Halstead & Essex Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Sarah, I think it will be fine, as a BARR bronze graded event a finishing time at Halstead would certainly count for a GFA place at the FLM......assuming it was fast enough of course.
  • Options
    Thanks Flynn and JG2!

Hopefully it will be fast enough....
  • Options
    Hi All
    Read through the whole thread (really should be cracking on with work). Got the marathon bug again, having been rejected in the FLM ballot for the 5th year in a row (although i have run it for charity place for lats 3 years) i decided to run Halstead, as the running club (Fitness First Flyers Southend) have 3 FLm entrants and 1 Halstead entrant, given the training we have been doing. Last week did 23 miles in 4hrs XC round Thundersley/Hadleigh , last 6 miles in direct sun along sea wall and country park, i was pretty done in at end but thats the longest run done now, will do 18 this sunday. Readin about the "undulating" doesnt sound as bad as I feared (anyone done the Linton Half near Duxford - i recall that being hilly! ) I haven't done a race for months so no idea what time I can expect (4hrs 21mins was last years FLM time) but i will be happy if it isnt roasting hot .
    4 weeks to go - I am really looking forward to it - I must be mad.
  • Options
    I,ve missed two weeks training due to a bad back (now decided to give up gardening and stick to running) including my last long run (22 miles) due last weekend. My back now feels much better but the question is what should I do this weekend? Should I go for a 20 miler or less?
    Advice greatfully received.
  • Options
    I will be receiving the race numbers early next week which means by the end of the week that the race packs will be ready for posting.

Sorry about the delay in getting them out but hopefully it will be worth it as we're getting race numbers which are printed with runners names as well. We think it looks really good.

Example of what it looks like is here: -

http://halsteadroadrunners.net/forum/showpost.php?p=747&postcount=6
  • Options
    sorry, Flynn, can't seem to open the jpg attachment without giving a name and password for you site? Anyway, I'm sure they look good. Thanks for the extra work involved.

Did my April marathon last Sunday and have managed a few miles and some swimming this week. I think I will do around 12 to 15 mile run this weekend and maybe one last long run next weekend, giving me two weeks to wind down a little again before Halstead. Looking forward to the day.
  • Options
    BlueWombat:

Feel free to sign up to our forums and you'll be able to see the image. :)

What time did you run last Sunday?
  • Options
    Hi all, haven't been able to log on for awhile, various problems, although Richard Campbell's post kinda puts things into perspective and made me realise I haven't anything to whinge about.

Richard - such sad news, wishing you, your friend and his family all the strength needed to cope.

I've finally stopped dithering and just entered online. This will be my first marathon! I've had a few set-backs with my training but I've decided to give it a go. I found the last minute 6 week training schedule in Runners World mag, so I'm following that and hoping it'll be enough :-)

Pacing groups were mentioned earlier. Calculating a time from my half marathon times gives me a 4:18 finish but I think I'll just get in the 5hr time limit. Is there likely to be a group around that sort of pace?
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Flynn, have done so and seen the lovely race number design!

Last Sunday's marathon was a slow one. Tropical heat and humidity made it very tough for me (29oC and drizzle) ... like running in a steam room. It was a PW of 4:45. I am hoping for at least one hour quicker in Essex. If not 80 minutes quicker if possible!
  • Options
    Hi, wish I'd found this forum earlier!

First time marathon - have done a 20 mile and just come in from 17. Is this enough? Please tell me I don't need to do any more really long runs till the day!

Good luck to all those doing FLM tomorrow (wish I were with you - been rejected 3 times now). See you all in 3 weeks - looking forward to it.
  • Options
    My friends from London want to come cheer my flatmate and me during the marathon. I am arriving the day before the marathon and am renting a car, but my friends probably won't be doing that. What is the best way for them to come from London? Can they just take a train and then a bus to the course? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks everyone! I'm getting really excited for this marathon, as it's my first...
  • Options
    Relax Hazel, no more compulsory long ones, though some runners sometimes put another 20 in a fortmight before. Depends on what suits you. Is this your first? See if it works out for you.

Do a 10 next weekend though.
  • Options
    Hello all,

Can anyone advise if and how you can travel to the race by train from London? I can't seem to find any info on trains to Halstead. Also, how far is the race start from the train station??

I am debating doing this marathon but need to know if I can get there. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Hazel Armstrong:

For your first marathon I'd say that you've done enough training. If you didn't do a 20 miler yesterday then I'd start to bring the mileage down now. Maximum I'd run next Sunday would be 12 miles and the following more like 8.

Cristina Calvo & sleepygirl

You can find all the information you need online on our website.

http://halsteadroadrunners.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8
  • Options
    Flynn - I've entered but now canny run as injured, but as my OH is doing this plus some other club runners if you require any help on the day let me know. You can email me if you want.
  • Options
    I ran London yesterday and well and truly blew up in the extreme heat. I had been hoping for a time around 3:15 but only just managed to finish in 4:01. I am desperate to get the disappointment out of my system and am considering running Halstead.

Anyone got any views as to whether this would be sensible, or could it just be another painful experience so soon after London?
  • Options
    Ran at Lochaber, Fort William yesterday and managed 4.14. About 25 mins slower than I had hoped, as I hit the wall at 16 miles.I have absolutely no idea why this happened, as I followed the same training plan as Abingdon 06, where I recorded 3.56 with no pain and no wall! All very strange and this time yesterday I was well p**sed off!
    However 24 hours later I am looking forward to running this race, although I won't be going for a PB. Going to start at a slower pace and try to keep it really steady. My confidence took a bit of a kicking yesterday.

Going to take a few days off to recover now and look to start back on Saturday.
  • Options
    Tired Legs (Mrs Punch):

That's a very kind offer. I shall pass it on.

Spally

Don't be too disappointed, it was damned hot yesterday. Sit down and carefully think exactly what went wrong. Write it all down. Was it just the weather, or hydration, or nutrition or pace...... most likely a combination of all.

Then decide what you're going to do about each. Form a plan and focus on that.

Doing two marathons so close together might seem silly (and to be honest it probably is) but that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I ran the FLM yesterday, today I'm having trouble walking but I'm totally committed to running Halstead.

Yesterday I didn't acheive the time I set out to run but I acheived many other goals. (Like running the entire race with no walking) But if I analyse it I could have run better with hindsight. I should have found a way through the crowds and increased my pace for the first 14 miles. Apart from that detail I wouldn't change much.

Today is a day for focus and determination. Halstead is in 20 days time. My focus is on recovery this week, next week back to my usual weekly runs with a 12 mile long run on Wednesday and then in the week before another taper.

Multiple marathons in quick succession can be done. I know of at least two runners entered this year who are both approaching 400 marathons. That means consistently running marathons weekend after weekend.
  • Options
    Thanks for the travel tips. Another question- has anyone run a marathon and not eaten liquids or gels? It's probably a bit late to be asking, but I have trained so far and just taken a couple bottles of Power Ade on my long runs. I find that it gives me enough energy, because I worry that anything solid might upset my stomach. Then again though, I haven't (and won't until race day) run 26.2 miles on Power Ade alone, so I'm not sure if my body will need something a little more substantial...
  • Options
    Cristina Calvo:

I've done both and had the most success when I've planned to have gels, bananas or sports drink. These days I swear by Carb-Boom gels and water.

The usual advice is that you shouldn't try anything in the marathon which you havn't trained with.
  • Options
    Hi - not an expert opinion as such as said this is to be my 4th marathon but the advice not to try anything new is sound. That goes for new socks, running gear etc, great to look good on the day but blisters and sores are just around the corner if the gear isnt worn in. "Tried and trusted" must be the motto of the day. As for getting round on water sure it can be done as Flynn says , I felt that some carb/gel would have helped last time when i ran on sweets and water. But this close stick with what your body knows. This week i plan to run 20 miles before my taper, ran 18.5 miles SUnday back by 10am and was well pleased i wasnt running in the heat of the day (In April!) .. whats it gonna be like in 3 weeks .... have fun
  • Options
    I too struggled at London on Sunday and ended up pulling out halfway. I was aiming for a PB but I was so uncomfortable in the heat that I had slowed to 11 min mile pacing which probably would have saw me finish about an hour slower than my PB. I wasn't running for charity and as I was soooo far from a decent time that I decided it wasn't worth putting my body through the unnecessary stress.

I was sort of ok with pulling out but clearly not completely ok because I've decided I need to run this one to redeem myself and try to take away some of the guilt I feel from dropping out.

It had better not be a warm day...

Good luck to everyone and sincere congrats to those who ran London!
  • Options
    sleepygirl:

There's no shame in dropping out. It takes guts to do that because you know you're going to mentally beat yourself up about it in the following days.

Our marathon is a totally different experience from the FLM. Very relaxed, very friendly and allows you to focus more on the race. (Not that the FLM isn't friendly, because it is, but it's huge and impersonal as well)

Focus on racing on the 13th and in the mean time do some research on coping with the heat. Traditionally it's hot on the day of the race. :(
  • Options
    10 am is quite a late start. If it is traditionally hot on the day of the race, I wonder if you have considered running it earlier in the day? Maybe a thought for the future?

Speaking of early in the day, you're awake early today Flynn!
  • Options
    BlueWombat:

Lots of people travel to the venue before the race and a 10am start gives them time to find the start and get ready.

Some years it's not so hot. Some years it rains. Some years though we get glorious sunshine and 25 degree heat. :) Under those conditions extra water stations are set up and more water supplied.

As for the early start ..... I woke up with both legs screaming at me to stretch them. :) You're up early yourself....
  • Options
    120o around the globe makes for time shifting, Flynn. 8 hours ahead here.
  • Options
    Aha. That makes more sense. :)
  • Options
    Just sent my entry in, having survived FLM on Sunday!

Feel miffed, most people reason for a bad run at FLM was the heat - which I would love. However, I managed to stuff up my taper big style so had to run from the start with "empty" legs!!! So my projected 3:45-3:50 turned into 4:36 - not pleased!

Never mind I sent my current marathon PB at Halstead last year, so looking forward to another crack.

Flynn - is the option of using you own drinks at the drinks stations still an option?
  • Options
    Spally - I ran FLM in 2006, had 3 easy weeks, and then ran Halstead for a PB. FLM 2006 was my first marathon and I ran well at Halstead, so I would recommend it.

I ran FLM last Sunday and will be there on the 13th.
  • Options
    jamesy666:

Yes. We provide the facility to put your own drinks at our drinks stations. You need to mark them clearly with your race number and get them to the race HQ by about 9am. They will be taken out onto the course at 9:15am.