Options

Body Fat Monitors

Just wondered if any of you out there had any experience of using these? Are they useful/accurate? Can anyone recommend any particular brand model?

Comments

• Options
    Dont bother. They're a waste of time and money - if the search function is working today - look for other threads on it. So unreliable.

• Options
    yeah - I'd agree with Cougie - not consistent enough to tell you anything worthwhile
  • Options
    save your money for something else - these things are a complete waste of time...........use the mirror and belt test instead
  • Options
    9.8% body fat on a lucozade elctro tester thing at a race

14.8 with a skin fold test

thos electro machines are well out.

I'd say go with the mirror or if you really want something measurable you could get a set of those plier things they use for the skin fold test
  • Options
    Don't waste your money. Callipers are as near accurate as you'll get. Or do the mirror test - stand naked in front of a full-length one and jump up and down. Whatever wobbles is fat. Cruel but simple.
  • Options
    Agree with FB

The belt test is pretty good.

• Options
    With you all on this. I tried the Lucozade "fitness test" at the Windsor Half. Got me as 6% fat. Made me feel good, but somehow a bit unbelievable.

It is likely that I was dehydrated (20 miler that morning, I was only spectating at the race). I suspect that hydration level in the leg muscles will make a difference.
  • Options
    The Tanita BC543 is pretty good but pricey. I got a discount on one earlier in the year but they're £100-ish. They measure body fat, muscle, bone mass and water content. I think they are accurate if the instructions are followed.
  • Options
    "I think they are accurate if the instructions are followed."

funniest thing I've read in ages.........
  • Options
    It really depends here. I know for sure that the Bodyscan has been tested against calipers and the water displacement method and proved to be pretty accurate. You need to make sure that you are well hydrated. The Bodyscan 1500 is expensive (over £600)

A cheaper alternative is the Maltron BF 906 (more like £300 ish) just as accurate but doesn't look quite as pretty.

Tanita scales and the like are not as accurate as they only measure up one leg and down the other.
  • Options
    A lot of the cheaper ones are just estimated on your height and weight - not actually measuring your real body fat at all.
    My hubby has 19% body fat on our scales but 32% when weighed holding his bike - funny cos his bike doesn't have much excess fat!
  • Options
    I'm not here to sell e.g. the Tanita scales - all I'm saying is that I think they are based on alot more than height and weight comparison. I find them accurate in that - if the instructions are followed (stop laughing F.B. and get out more - especially running!!!) -i.e. you don't use the scales straight after exercise, are hydrated etc. then they appear to be accurate. For example, on my way to a 3:09 marathon earlier in the year, my weight was fairly steady at around 64kg over a 2 month period but my body fat dropped with increased mileage from 12.5% to 9.5% while muscle mass increased slightly. I take readings every couple of weeks just before my long run. If you don't follow the instructions and weigh yourself at inconsistent times (e.g. just after getting back from a run) then excess fluid loss can apparently throw the readings out. Having said all that, these things are nice rather than necessary but they are motivational when you can see a trend over time.