Options

Mike Gratton, Garmin, and RW Towers

Hail Hail

In our shop today (Sweatshop Glasgow), we received a promotional pack from Garmin. In association with Mike Gratton and runnersworld.co.uk, they are setting up a new form of marathon training schedule.

Basically, you log on at

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2477

and enter your 5k, 10k or desired marathon time, and MG will create a training schedule for you which you can then upload to your PC, and integrate with the Garmin software training centre, and then download onto your 205 or 305. Thus when you turn on your device, the Garmin knows what run you should be doing that day, and off you go.

See, it WAS a lot of money well invested.

I'll be interested to see what the schedules look like - are they specific enough to the individual, or will they just be a re-hash of the exisiting RW ones (nothing wrong with them though).

BTW - this doesnt go live until December 4th, so I've probably stolen RW's thunder. Won't they all be pleased!!

Comments

• Options
    RB, you can see the scheds and try out the customisation from the beta link you put up there (it's runnersworld.co.uk/garmin for quick reference) - just click the link and scroll down the page.

If the promo pack you saw says you can enter your PBs then as you'll see, it's not entirely accurate - at this stage, anyway. That's a natural next step, along with a lot more flexibility in the schedules.

Anyway if you get a chance, try out the beta download and post some feedback on this thread; I'll keep an eye on it as we make last changes to the download function before it goes fully live.

Sean, RW
  • Options
    Hi Sean, Any comments from Garmin representatives about reliability of FR 305 and no. of returns yet?

See my poll How many FR 305's have you had?
  • Options
    My 205 is unreliable

can you do it on a 301
  • Options
    on overtime Sean?!
  • Options
    Hi HH, not to my knowledge, but best to keep that as a separate discussion topic if that's ok - would like to keep this thread for testing feedback and questions about the schedules.

PH, yes, it works on 205, 301 and 305, though there'll be a pace-smoothing download for the 205 and 305 that isn't available for the 301

MC, new small person in the house, hours u/s... ;-)
  • Options
    Will there be Garmin 209 Signature Edition?
  • Options
    You know what, this is slightly annoying because it only goes sub 3 hour. What happens if you want to do a sub 2:40? It'd be nice if the quicker runners were also catered for as it's tough to know what to do to get down to these times???

I'm currently on a 2:55:05 marathon PB from London, and am currently training for Edinburgh for a 2:35-2:40 time, yet there's nothing to cater for us? How can we get the populace quicker if we don't help them?

Pug
  • Options
    My PB was in New York, not London, where the hell did I get that from lol

Pug
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Thanks for that Sean. Had a quick look, ,and the schedules do look a mite different than the normal RW ones (certainly at the sub3 level). Will have a longer peruse once I get back from Luton Marathon.

Pug - you can adjust the estimated finish time, and it will adjust the pace that you run at rather than the actual schedule (or HR that you should train at). How are the blisters BTW? Shame we wont meet tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hey man, good luck fella, hoping/praying for a top 3 spot for ya ;-) just keep them in your sights, and don't go off to quick ;-)

Pug