Options

Treadmill training

Just thought I'd start a new thread on this subject.
Sample questions range from: How reliable are they as regards time and speed? If I want to run faster than 10mph I increase incline. Is this efficient? How good is interval training on a treadmill?
Questions and answers welcome.

Comments

• Options
    DR - I use the treadmill for doing intervals as it's easier to set the speed and then run the time to that as it's easier to keep a consistent pace this way. Other than that I don't use the bloody things unless the weather is too foul.
  • Options
    Try to only do speed sessions, but have to use it when I can't leave the house.
    You can't kid yourself you're going faster than you actually are is the main advantage. I have also found it useful when it's been too icy to run safely- this can last for some time as round here the priority is to ensure motorists are not inconvenienced in any way by snow ploughing all the snow onto the pavements, never show it any grit so it gets nice and packed down and nobbly just to keep them busy in casualty- I digress as usual.
  • Options
    I put my mountain bike on our treadmill to check the speed and they agreed exactly.

Of course they could both be wrong!!

I think they are excellent for interval training as I can't cheat.

I think they are terrible for long runs as they are too hot and boring
  • Options
    Simon- that sounds like a recipe for disaster- where you riding it and if so how fast- have considered this before getting turbo trainer but common sense got the better of me.
  • Options
    Simon, you were not seriously riding the bike on the treadmill?? Having fallen off a treadmill, just on my feet, and ending up with v bruised knees etc, I treat them with great respect. In other words, avoid unless it is impossible to run outside!
  • Options
    I wonder what other things you could do on a treadmill, I've run with a pack on one when training for the desert, could skateboard on one or scooter- I feel a Jackass episode coming on.
  • Options
    It would have been useful when children were tiny, instead of walking the streets to get them to sleep in a buggy?!
  • Options
    I imagine that Simon just put the bike on the treadmill, I don't think he actually got onto it.
    I agree with fatbutfit the treadmill is useful for interval training, also for hill interval training (avoids the running down).I feel that I can't run as fast on the treadmill (losing between one to two k an hour speed). I put this down to lack of oxygen in a closed environment compared with outdoors. Psychological element is also quite strong - boring!!
  • Options
    quite a few elite runners use the treadmill - even the Emperor Haile has been known to give it a go - so there shouldn't really be this stigma attaching to it.

I've seen lots of advice from "outdoor purists" that try to suggest treadmill running is far too easy - hence theories like "you need to use a 5% incline" (!) and "treadmill running is 15 seconds per mile faster than running outside".

my experience is that a 1-2% incline makes treadmill running pretty much the same as running outside with the difference that you can't cheat on your distance or your speed and the gains in mental toughness are far greater.

a lot of people have no choice but to use the treadmill for their training (e.g. women with kids or running late at night) - so let's not make them feel inadequate for no good reason.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind having one at home, then maybe the time on them wouldn't seem so boring as I could watch some tv. But they are so expensive and space wouldn't allow.

I much prefer to run outside, but having one at home would allow for a quick few miles when in a rush-maybe when the kids leave home.
  • Options
    Definite benefit for speed sessions since you know the exact speed and distance. Achilles is right when he says you can't cheat and they do build mental toughness. I find treadmills very useful during the winter when the cold and wet would hinder such fast sessions. Never sure on the incline theory - 5% definitely too much. I work on the principle that you lose any cooling breeze so no incline (or 1%) is fine. Spent most of one winter on the tradmill a few years ago and still came up with 2:46 at FLM. Have even done a charity treadmill marathon (2:44). Great for even paced running!! Treadmills with declines are great fun very fast sessions.
  • Options
    I've used a treadmill on and off for many years but rarely do more than 30 minutes and generally will only do 5k. Typically no steady running either but normally tempo sessions or acceleration runs. Doing intervals is ok but if you're doing short intervals some treadmills don't accelerate very quickly so you're half way through before you reach full speed.

My current treadmill which I've owned since 1994 is getting a bit doggy so I've decided to sell my motorbike this spring (boo!) and buy a new one (hooray!).
  • Options
    Hear hear- glad to see it said that treadmills aren't easy compared to running outside.
    I use a 1% incline otherwise the knees jar a bit.
    The mental toughness is deffinately a factor- it is just so easy to stop, step off and put the kettle on- not an option when you're miles from home.
  • Options
    Personally I ust the treadmill for speedwork, and when its not possible to run outside ie the recent snow in London and chucking it down with rain. I dont see the problem as its great for speedwork, you can time and distance your efforts accuratly and you cant cheat. Why try to guess how fast you are running when you can guarantee it ?

However, I dont consider it as a replacement for road running as its easier on the body and the body needs to get used to road running (pounding etc)

A poster earlier said they wanted one at home so they could log a few miles whilst watching TV. Thats where the problem is using the treadmill to accumulate junk miles (not proper training) You cant seriously train and watch TV at the same time ! If I was to get one it would remain in the garage i'm afraid !!
  • Options
    I use my treadmill mainly for speed and hill intervals, I also find that if you have a bad cold you can still use the treadmill, whereas I might not run outside. I have a toddler and I find it hand to get in 40mins when she sleeeps rather than havin to wait unti 6pm until hubby comes home. I am also pregnant now, so it will become a lot more useful now!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Use the tready for speedwork, however this will come to an abrupt end very soon.
    Hanover have renovated the gym, replacing the old miles and kmh machines with a maximum of 20kmph/12.5mph with new km only machines with a max of 16kmph/10mph.

I'm no whippet but my 800m reps are at that speed (my 5k pace) and usually get up towards 18-20 kmph for the 200/400 reps.
    Guess I better go find a track/another gym....
  • Options
    Dustin - check to see if the new treadmills can be adjusted. My gym did the same but called in an engineer to adjust the settings. One will now go down to 4:30 pace!!!
  • Options
    at my gym, some of them go down to 4:00 pace which is pretty wild. as Brian says, they need setting up specially. I think generally though the management doesn't like the idea of them all going flat out - not that there are many people in there doing this sort of pace!
  • Options
    Yeah I get stares at 5:40 min/m, but I do have a noisy foot strike, oh yes and I go on Senior Citizens morning where the atmosphere is very relaxed.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I did ask ,
    "No , cant adjust them" was the curt reply.

I don't think its my noisy foot strike that irritates, its the 'sweat showers' I offer for free to near neighbours that is probably offputting.
  • Options
    Thanks for all this useful info.
    My treadmill is in front of a T.V. and I find it good that instead of just sitting and watching progams that I would watch anyway ( like footie for instance) I can train as well. It helps time pass; 90 mins for a game plus half time can't all be 'junk'training.
  • Options
    I agree - you can seriously train and watch TV. Football's great but music vid's are better. Sometimes you miss a bit during a speed interval. But for even paced endurance training a TV can be a great help.
  • Options
    Cotty67 - what kind of treadmill have you got. I am in the same family position as yourself. Thinking about buying a treadmill and leaving gym....Anyone else got treadmills at home that can offer advice, I'm listening....
  • Options
    I've got a Horizon Quantum. It has 4 programmes - manual/intervals/rolling/weight loss. I always use manual as I find the programmed ones are too easy. When we bought it we didn't look into what kind of programmes it had!? It goes up to a 10% elevation and 15k/h speed. I think it cost about 1100 pounds about 2 years ago. I like it now but to start with I didn't like the fact that the programmes were not as good as the ones at the gym, but I was pregnant when we bought it and my husband and his friend went to the shop (buying 2 at once we got 4 pairs of trainers free!!)so by the time we realised it could not do what I wanted it was too late. But I don't find it a problem at all - we converted our basement into a gym so its ideal.
  • Options
    Just logged back on.

No I wasn't riding the bike, I just held it on to see if the speedo on the bike and the reading on the treadmill agreed.

Mind you - you've all given me an idea now!!
  • Options
    Our treadmill is a vision fitness T8600HRC.

19.2Km/hr max, 12% incline max.

Mostly used on manual

It is big, heavy and noisy and lives in the garage.

We always have a fan and a music video on.

I think its great. I wish I has used it last night, instead I got scared stupid by a car nearly hitting me in the dark, I got absolutely drenched from the rain, I couldn't see anything because my glasses were so covered in rain. Last night inside would definitely have been better than outside!!

Mind you, there are many days when outside is VASTLY better than inside!
  • Options
    Treadmills are ok ish, I use it at my local leisure centre when the youngest (turning 7) is having his swimming lessons on Saturday lunchtimes, otherwise it's stuck sitting while junior does his bit. Much more fun! Except when the window is shut. Usually noted about 10 minutes into a good run...
  • Options
    I'm at Birmingham uni, and get a 2hr gap between lectures on Mondays and Fridays; and a 3hr gap on Thursdays.

So instead of studying, its off to the gym:-)

I could obviously go running on the road, and would prefer the fresh air; but then I realise I'm in Birmingham* (not at home, with the Countryside of Hitchin, Herts), and its cold (which doesn't help my asthma)and raining; so off too the gym it is.

Apart from the simple fact that treadmills are boring, especially when theres no music on (I'm currently on the look out for an MP3 player, one of the new Nike ones..... but can't afford one just yet:-(
    They do provide a great form of running(especially as its the only practical form available between lectures); since December I've only been on several road runs (due to weather - horrible + recovering from chest infection {early jan} + asthma gets bad in cold), the rest of the time has been spent on treadmills, bikes, steppers & arc-trainers. On Sunday I put in a 1:39.44 first 1/2marathon (Silverstone), which smashed what I was expecting by over 5minutes (1:45).

Conclusion: treadmills are beneficial, especailly when you just can't get on the road.
    My only complaints:
    * I still haven't worked out how to put the bloody thing into mph
    * depending on the setup of the treadmill, they stop after 40, 45 or 65minuts (thats a gym prob I spose)
    * The gym gets busy, and I'm not supposed to use the CV equipment for over 20minutes during busy periods (so much for MY gym membership fee!)

*There are some nice areas of Birmingham to run - I've managed to find the cycle path and canal so far:-) Just nowhere near the green of home
  • Options
    I use a treadmill at home (in the garage) for speed training. Great for dark mornings when I would otherwise have to take my life in my hands with the traffic. I play around with different inclines but the favourite is 2 - 2.5%.

It's a Nordic Track 3000 - which has a good powerful motor and folds up to a relatively compact footprint. It was about £1400 two years ago. It has six inbuilt programs and you can program your own - although I normally use it in manual control. The little running track display is a nice feature.

Absolutely mind-numbing for long slow runs though (which I've had to resort to on occasions).

I've also just got a new toy - a Kettler Ergoracer stationary bike. I'm just waiting for the software to use with it to arrive (even includes a Tour de France program)

A favourite session at the moment is 15 mins on the bike, 30 mins running on the teadmill, 15 mins on the bike.
  • Options
    Whenever I use the treadmill I get pissed off with those that have been on it before who have sprayed sweat and slobbered all over the displays and can't be arsed to wipe it off. I got some very strange looks last night when I was cleaning down the one I'd just been on for over an hour doing 9 yasso 800's. It was dripping!! Or they were just in awe of what I'd done, as I was!