Options

Sport Personality of the Year 2006

2»

Comments

• Options
    Worth noting that she's one of the few, can't think of any others right now, who's a World and European champion, and who competes on on equal footing with blokes, and wins.

Also have you ever stood next to the cross country jumps, huge and very scary, trust me on this.
  • Options
    We all know that it tends to go to someone who has "caught the imagination of the public" rather than someone who's bust their gut year in year out to reach the top of their sport (Flintoff last year was a prime example: England win the ashes so it's knighthoods and prizes all round...), but how many people were jumping up and down in their living rooms watching Zara coax her nag over a few fences - precious few, i'm sure.

Until I read the piece on her in last weeks Radio Times (and what a blatant piece of canvassing that was "favourite to win just like mum did in '71" etc.), I was unaware that she'd won anything.
  • Options
    I want to know how someone who stopped competing, and stopped being involved in sport at the age of 26-28 can get a lifetime achivement award? Maybe theo Walcott will get that one next year?
  • Options
    it's amazing how bitchy people get when someone other than they want wins
  • Options
    ..true FF

especially on here where nobody is ever bitchy!

;0)

It is " sports personality" of the year..so I suppose Zara fits the bill as well as anybody...her being a princess sort of!

Nobody "on telly " inspired me much this year...I was far more inspired by real people I know ( some on here) who did their THANG on various Saturdays and Sundays throughout 2006!

• Options
    I think if Zara Phillips wasn't a royal she would be seen as deserving to win as she has actually achieved something this year. Only her, Cooke and Tweddle actually have done that for me.

The boxers might have been good boxers, but this is the 2006 sports personality of the year, so lifetime achievement awards would be better for them as their reason for nomination wasn't strictly for their 2006 performances.

But what annoyed me is the way they made out that Phillips has managed to be the best in the world despite her background. Surely someone without money and without a history of sporting success in their family would find it tougher to achieve in a sport than someone who can have everything money can buy.
  • Options
    The reason that Zara Phillips is "coping some flack" is that she drives a 4X4 and as is common knowledge in this country, anyone who drivers a 4X4 (me included) is one of "Satan's little helpers"!

It is called reverse snobbery.
  • Options
    Nope, the reason she's copping some flack is because she has the personality of a plank of wood. I'm no cricket fan, but Flintoff at least deserved the award last year for being a "personality" - a red-eyed and hungover one, but a personality nonetheless.
  • Options
    The reason ZP is copping flak is because the award was for "Sports Personality" - so she only qualifies for the Sports bit, however well she's done this year. If either of my kids (both younger than her, by the way) had given an acceptance speech like that, I'd have been ashamed.

And 4x4 drivers aren't "Satan's little helpers" - just pretentious w@nkers.
  • Options
    Monty Panesar was THE PERSONALITY of the year. Doesn't mean he should have won the award last night, as he hasn't achieved much in sport yet, but his personality is 100 times more entertaining than Zara Phillips.
  • Options
    TV is crap. sell it on ebay, and use the time you used to waste gawping at it more productively.
  • Options
    Daley Thompson's acceptance speech in 1982 was the best one:-

"I don't know what to say. I feel like shit...."
  • Options
    ...wonders what Zara said...didn't see it !
  • Options
    Mind you she does look nice in jodpurs
  • Options
    Splendid norks too, so I guess i'll forgive her (on condition that she lets me stick my face betwixt them and go blub-blub-blub)
  • Options
    ..you could probably go to the tower for comments like that ...
  • Options
    you probably should...
  • Options
    Why don't they call it Sports Munter of the Year?

Anytime we use the word personality, we are referring to a friend we are trying to hook up with someone else, as in,

"she has a lovely personality"