Options

46 to 160 in 2 minutes?

Sorry about this being another clueless thread on heart rate monitors but is that normal? I did an interval session last night 5 min warm up followed by fast run for a minute up a hill, jog down and repeat 10 times. The warm up was a light jog and my heart rate went from 46 to 160 in the first two minutes. During the interval session the max heart rate was 155???
I went to see a doctor this morning and she had no idea why my heart rate went up so quickly. During the warm up (I was with a mate) we were talking as usual and not out of breath and I definitely didn't feel that I was working that hard. My max heart rate is 182.

Comments

• Options
    Here we go again....

First off - your max heart rate - 182 - is that tested with a proper exertion test ? If it was then I would have thought you'd have a good idea of what your heart is doing. If its a calc, then its worse than useless.

46 is a resting rate - so you wouldnt be doing anything. I doubt that was your rate when jogging.

160 is a pretty normal heart rate to see when running. For me I wouldnt see it as I was warming up - so thats a bit unusual, but not massively.

Having a lower heart rate when doing the interval is a bit odd, but could be OK - I think you've got a false reading of 160 there on the warm up. Maybe interference from your mates HRM ?

You should find that you would max out a few seconds after passing the top of the hill.
  • Options
    Thanks cougie, yes I've a pretty good idea what my heart is doing I was just a bit concerned by the high initial reading during the warm up and how fast it got there. My mate did have a HRM on and his was reading 120 during the warm up.
  • Options
    Did yours blip up to 160, or was it constant. HR doesnt jump - it rises.

Bimey - 120 in the warmup. Thats prob walking pace for me.
  • Options
    I was just surprised to see it steadily rise within 2 minutes up to 160, I just didn't expect it to go that high that quick. Especially as it was only a very slow jog.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry Lee - my HRM usually shows 220 bpm about a minute after I start. I put it down to a false reading. Often I don't have enough sweat worked up to get the chest strap to stick so it often calculates one beat as several.

It usually settles down to around 160 after a few mins. 160 isn't particularly high, mine's usually more than that and I am a slow runner!
  • Options
    sounds fine to me

My comfortable jog is around 160

oh, and im 41
  • Options
    I certainly have noticed a similar response when I do a gentle jog on the treadmill in the gym, I have seen my HR rise rapidly up to around 160-165 and then drop back to about 130 after 1/4 to 1/2 a mile. Only happens on the treadmill, so if I warm up on any other equipment I don't see this.

No idea if it happens when I run outside as I don't check my HR that often, where as its in big bright numbers right in front of me when on the tready so can't help but notice.

I've always put it down to a fright and flight response, i.e. my body reacting to me starting to run and then after a while it realizes I'm not being chased by a hungry lion and backs off.
  • Options
    mmmmmmm
    would explain the toxic bit at the start before you settle in to the run
  • Options
    Thanks Steve65, I've been doing some research on the net and I think the fight or flight response might explain it, thanks!