Options

Two Maratonns in 8 Days !

I ran a small marathon in Longford last Saturday (3:09:58). I was pleased with the run and the time which is a new PB. I've come out of the race fairly well. No aches or pains and have trained lightly the last two days. Now here's the thing, I plan to run another marathon on Sunday next (The Connemara Marathon). It sounds mad but I'm going to take a chance on it. I don't plan to race it but I would hope to break 3:30. Is this time target realistic ? Am I likely to fall on my arse halfway ? Even though I feel well will my glycogen stores have been replenished over a week ? What sort of pacing strategy should I employ. I normally set a time goal and then try to run a slight negative split but am not sure what my goal should be here. Has anyone any advice or tips ?

Comments

• Options
    I ran 2 in 7 days once.dont race the second especially as u have just done a pb.run the second race for enjoyment only and start slowly but not so slow that it feels unusual.the last 10km will be hard so save energy in he beginning u r going to need it.
  • Options
    I have run 2 in two weeks before now. The main problem I found was that in the weeks after it took a long time to get my speed back. Full recovery took about 2 months.
  • Options
    then again, a lot of people say that the best time to run a PB is when you've just run a PB! Perhaps they don't mean marathons but you never know. Go for it, Mike, and best of luck, you madman! ;-)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. From the little bit of training I've done I don't think I've lost too much speed but feel I might blow up not too far into the race. I'll let you all know what happens, if I can get an internet connection in hospital :-)
  • Options
    Ok...A belated update. I ran both of these races. The first, Longford I pr'd in 3:09:58. I was really happy with the run and the whole thing was fun. I came out of the race really well and hydrated, fueled like hell for the next week. Trained lightly three days during the intervening week and felt fairly 'normal' going to the start of the second race. The Connemara Marathon was a much tougher course with two killer hills in the second half but I ran a steady race to do 3:15:34. I was a lot more sore after the second race but I was back on the road after two days rest. For anyone who might be considering doing something like this again, it's certainly doable if you plan it out. Thanks again for the advice offered.
  • Options
    Well done, Mick. You've obviously been made from good quality material and got your training well sorted! I love it when someone takes the textbook advice and turns it upside down. Have you got a nice ultramarathon lined up for next weekend?
  • Options
    Have you cracked open that champagne yet?

What an achievement - not many other people can claim such an amazing accomplishment. Well done!
  • Options
    Crikey Mick - I could only just manage 5 miles one week after my only marathon to date. Well done.
  • Options
    I think Mr Velociraptor put his finger (talon?) on it, I'm just tough as old boots. It's a pity they're not very fast old boots but what can you do ...?