Options

Sore Achilles - anyone regretted taking a knife to their trainers?

Festive greetings!

I've had intermittent sore achilles for about 2.5 years and have always felt that it was running downhill that exacerbated this.

I've been reading other posts and also doing some particularly strenuous thinking and have come to the conclusion that this could be due to the backs of my trainers bashing against my tendons.

Seems like the way to go forward could be to cut down the backs a bit - gulp! Any tips? Should I just have a go with an old pair in case they just fall to bits?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Jon, most running shoes incorporate an "achilles notch" into the back, a U shaped cushioned bit. The exception is some fell running shoes.

There should be no need to cut if the notch is sufficien. However if you're going to cut the backs down, make two vertical cuts either side of where your achilles goes and pull the tab back.

I'd recommend practising on an old pair first!
  • Options
    Jon HJon H ✭✭✭

Cheers,

I have a notch, but tender part of achilles
    appears to be immediately above that, so
    unless that's always where achilles' hurt
    then it seems reasonable that the shoes might
    be to blame.

I'll give it a go ...
  • Options
    Jon, hold that knife! Don't cut them if the pain's above that area, it won't help - it sounds like your achilles prob is the symptom not the cause of your pain. What treatment have you had?
  • Options
    Jon HJon H ✭✭✭

We're talking immediately above, i.e. just
    in the right place for bashing on a steep
    downhill

Treatment = stretches and calf-massage
    although I've only discussed it with my
    osteopath, not a sports physio.
  • Options
    Still hold the knife..
    The place you describe is the most common spot for achilles problems (tendonitis etc).
    Unless the trainer's actually rubbed that area, and you've some surface abrasion I'd avoid cutting them.
    Ice the area if it's sore and see a sports physio, take your shoes so he/she can advise if they're right for you.
  • Options
    Yes, try it with an old pair first, Jon ;o)
  • Options
    I'm all for the knife myself ( well kitchen scissors in my case ). I suffered for years with achilles problems, barely able to come down stairs properly in the morning until I had " warmed up." On runs the pain and stiffness went off after a few minutes only to return after a short period of rest. The pain felt more like a dull ache along the line of my achilles than a sharp pain at a particular point. My physio suggested that I cut the tabs off my shoes, and since doing so I have been free of pain / discomfort. The improvement was virtually instantaneous and I have cut ALL my present shoes - Adidas Supernova Cushions, and Nike Air Max Skylon high mileage work horses, Saucony Tangents for racing and Adidas Swoops for XC. I've posted these radical thoughts before and have photos of my " doctored " shoes if anyone wants to see them. Do practice first on old onse, but such was my faith in my own physio that I cut willingly, do so every time I buy new shoes and I've never regretted it.
  • Options
    Glad it's worked for you Liam ;o)
  • Options
    I would agree with Liam, I suffered with achilles problems for two years and couldn't tolerate anything pressing on any part of my achilles. Made vertical cuts either side of notch as Siance describes and was able to run virtually without pain. Occasionaly achilles gets a bit tender, usually due to non-running shoes rubbing. I always cut new running shoes as a matter of course - doesn't seem to affect my running or shoe performance.