Options

Improving my stamina...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hi Keith - what do you recommend interval wise? - i am a real newbie to running, and have just got to the stage of running for 30 mins without breaks and want to work on the stamina side of things, whats a good interval schedule? I run on either trails or track. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hiya Blonde - (that was quick!) - As usual there are loads of schools of thought on the topic of intervals. I followed a program that suggested running more of less flat out for 30 seconds then resting for 60 (or jogging recovery) and repeating ten times. You will find this pretty uncomfortable especially towards the end. I would seriously recommend that you have a solid base of slow distance running for a few months before attempting intervals because it's hard on the body.

Having said all that, I always found "fartlec" (speedplay) style intervals more fun though. You do a normal run as usual and every so often you run hard and fast and when you start getting tired you back off until recovery - you can cover alot of distance in this way :)
  • Options
    I've heard about the fartlec method and will definitley be giving it a go. Another barrier sometimes i face when running, which again hinders me sometimes is when i get a stitch. What exactly are they, why do i get them and should i keep running with a stitch, or is there a way to get rid of it? I have heard that it has something to do with drinking too much water before running, is this true?
  • Options
    I'm going with bricks'n'mortar on this one. Straw and sticks are so over rated.
  • Options
    Hehe, Alan you've touched on another well talked about subject which doesn't really have a proper answer! A stitch is supposedly caused by the organs, which are attached to the diaphragm, bouncing up and down and straining it. This is a possibility. I've also heard the drinking too much/not enough/eating before/not eating before running theories. Whenever you experience pain it's your body's way of telling you that there is (or could be) a problem. When you run through a stitch (which I think we all do) it does usually fade away. However, you tend to feel a nagging pain inside you for the next few days, so something weird was happening inside you.

I think you've just got to experiment to find out what you were doing before you ran and see if altering things stops it from happening.

Sorry for the wooly answer but I don't really know!
  • Options
    I usually put pressure in the area of the stitch whilst running with my hand , and also breath slowly and deeply for a few steps. It usually works .Ruuning through it does no harm we all do it.
    Other methods are related to which step you breath out on . Not sure on the specifics but it's prob on one of the forums somewhere.
  • Options
    I usually get a stitch when I run too fast too long. When I slow it down a bit and breathe out really hard (something I read somewhere) it usually sorts it really quick.
  • Options
    it's great to hear from new runners and everyone seems to go through the same trials etc. I've made all the usual mistakes - going too far too soon and getting injury etc etc. So when my wife decided that she too wanted to take up runing it was a challenge to make sure she didn't get into the same problems. We started slow with a walk programme then went to walk run and now we are out to 4 miles. She couldn't walk for 15 mins in early May - she's lost three stone but still has several to go. We worked away at the walking and the early jogs that lasted for only a short time until now she can go out and run this 4 mile route knowing she can run to the best of her ability all the way round.

Now we have till April to get out to 10K but its only another half hours running - a steady increase of perhaps 5 more minutes over a few weeks will mean that by the late spring she'll easily be out at the distance . No injuries and no worry she won't be capable of the distance. Slow but steady building up strength and stamina so ech new goal is easily attainable.

Slow , steady patient progress thats the key!
  • Options
    i am a very new runner, i am training to join the army. i have also just quit smoking a couple of weeks ago so find my chest gets really tight anyway. i have found that these posts are very useful but aswell as building up my stamina/endurance, i also need to manage speed. i need to be able to run 1.5 miles and manage it with ease within 12 minutes 45 seconds but i am aiming for 9 minutes flat. i am aware that this will take time but does anyone know the best way to get a result in all three aspects? stamina, endurance and speed?
  • Options
    You need to get your arse outside, run on roads/trails/grass/track and dump the dreadmill!  If you ever decide to do a race and all your training has been on the 'mill, you'll find it sooooo difficult!