Options

G3 10k XC February 2007

Comments

• Options
    I might have a crack next Saturday or Sunday - depends on jobs/family plans etc. Do you start at NC?

I tend to start at the other end as I live that way.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    I think I shall stick with the three races..... not going there every week.....

Jans was hard...... so by what you saying Feb is worse, good....... more strength trg for my maras and Ultra.... thats the way I am looking at it...

I dont like walking in any race so will give it a go...... (may even be able to walk faster than my shuffles up the hills.....

Take care
  • Options
    RFJ - you have set yourself an excellent challenge....not walking on the back passage!!! Good luck!!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    The only problem to that sounds like there is no room for overtaking..... is this the case (with your excellent local knowledge)..
  • Options
    For sure, you cannot overtake. The path is very narrow for 50% of the way up, with steep banks on either side. Wide enough for horses' hooves. You can either stay in the narrow rut or try to run on the side. Either way, if the guys in front stop and walk you basically have not choice but to follow suit...that's my excuse anyway!!!
  • Options
    Also be very, very careful on the approach. After the first climb up half of St Martha's there is a descent towards Chilworth. The first section (300m or so) is quite wide and sandy. After than there is a steeper decent on narrow and very broken ground (old bricks, rocks and mud). If there are lots of people jostling for position on this section it could get quite nasty. If you want to overtake, get it in on the first part of the descent!!! After that there is one open downhill section, then a turn along a boggy narrow section before the back passage!!!
  • Options
    Well said TH2.

RFJ, runnng all the way up MBP??? ROFL. Fiver says you can't.

Feb is worse, March probably worse still. None are a patch on the Four Leaf Clover. Which still hurts.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    A coffee at the cafe afterwards....... (only if I get a clear run......) and if you believe that.......

All I said was I will try as always...... coz thats me, I dont like giving in or up..... but will if I have too.....

Take care
  • Options
    Its interesting to think about this section of the run in the context of Feb and March. In Feb, MBP comes very early in the run, whereas in March it is more half way round. So it makes much less sense to completely shag the legs in Feb. In March you have more time to get into your stride/pace?position before MBP.

FYI - I have no problem running any other section on the G3 course, but have yet to make it up MBP in one go. The HRM will be going mad!!

I know who I would put my fiver on (no disrespect RFJ)!!!
  • Options
    If you can run the whole of the rest of it, deep respect from me. I made it from the roa down by the green bit at the chantries end up to the top in one hit in Jan, but had to stop at the top, HRM on 202.

To be fair RFJ, it's not just the incline of MBP, the terrain varies by as much as a metre side to side in one 3 foot wide track.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Team Hurtmore - no taken...... I m just saying what I want do do - what I achieve maybe something different - the joys of goal setting.

Good job I dont run with a HRM then......

Have either of you done The Terminator.... now there are some hills even the leaders cant run up........
  • Options
    Where, when, what please? Sounds like a good warm up for March.
  • Options
    Understand RFJ - I do the same. Last weekend, I said, OK whatever happens I will run up MBP. Got half way up, where the guys were curring down the fallen tress and was very glad for the excuse to stop!! How weak -willed!

Like Dustboy, I don't know the Terminator, but have done some Lake District running and did helvellyn tri last year for a laugh!!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    The Terminator 10, is 25th Feb over near Pewsey, nr Marlborough, first 5m are good xc tracks / cambers etc, then the hills hit, up and down 4 times then you get to 10m and theres a sign saying haha we fooled you another mile to go...... then to finish its through the shoe wash..... (a river)about 2 foot deep and freezing cold.......

Worth doing, and 3 out 4 hills are un runnable, and in some cases are only crawlable.........

Like the excuse team hurtmore..... I like those......
  • Options
    Just bet someone else a fiver he can't run MBP non stop. He reckons he can. Mind you he has won one of the better Tri in the not too distant past. We'll see Sat week.
  • Options
    Ok, so thought it would be a good idea to try running up the hill rather than down it today. oh. my. god. The terrain has improved from the weekend, as in its a bit drier, but to be honest i don't think that would have made it any harder.

Dustboy, add a fiver from me against your friend. Although if he's that much quicker how are we even going to know if he makes it or not?
  • Options
    Last weekend, I met the guy who owns the land. He lives in Chilworth Manor, the big pad at the botom of the passage. He was clearing the trees and told me (my excuse for stopping again!!) that he keeps trying to run MBP but has yet to succeed!!!

Wozza I reckon trying to run down MBP would be worse that going up!!!
  • Options
    ah, you see, that is where I’d have the advantage! My downhill philosophy is simple. Whenever I try and control my descents, I tend to plod, and land too heavily, and i always get shin splints (well, they flare up again I mean). So certain injury basically. If, on the other hand, I let gravity take course, I run a lot smoother, which (when it goes right) prevents injury. Yes there is a major floor in my technique, namely serious injury, but I’d rather risk that than certain injury.

I do, however, pity the unfortunate soul who happens to get in the way of my slight frame (slight frame read = knocking on 16 stone) on such descents, which is usually most of the field as I'm always at the back!

The only saving grace today was the snow left at the top, which made for an impromptu fight. Although I lost as I got there last!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    If I let gravity take its course the route will become the road of bones after my belly of fat has crushed everyone......... It would be certain injury if I let it all go......... against possible injury, of holding back, just shout loudly if im in front of you on the downhills........

Wozza - next time take the lead when there is snow, then you can win.......

The cold snap could make life a bit interesting as well im assuming.....

• Options
    Its about to get harder...

Just emailed Toby to get clarification on route and there will be some little (!?!?) changes that will make it even harder.

We do run all the way up MBP, not just 3/4 way to the big track. We are then going to run the Chantries anti-clockwise in order to run up the steps and along the ridge on Chantries Wood. This is not the route shown on the web. Its worse as the steps will shag the legs again!!!

Oh heck...time for a recce tomorrow morning I think. better leave the dog behind this time!!
  • Options
    In response to the message about the famed Yvonne Arnaud buried up at St. Martha's, there is also a V.C winner up there too.

A kiwi - General Freyberg who was a key figure at Monte Cassino, Italy, 1944. A very long and bloody battle involving the Kiwis, Poles, Indians, Americans, Ghurkas and British against the defending German paratroopers, over a large hill with a monastary on top of it...
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Steps always shag legs going up them..... very hard work...
  • Options
    Actually, I'll take the steps going up, wrecked my ankle last time going down them.

Must admit, I saw adverts for the marshalls job, stand and shout at people and get a free cookie breakfast. Very tempted.

Anyone else had a go at the four leaf clover yet?
  • Options
    I think I'll save the FLC for the morning I wake up and feel suicidal! My current state of fitness wouldn't allow me to walk it, let alone run it!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    In a simple answer - No, but no doubt there will be plenty of practice on Sat.....

Hope you feeling better and in a better state of mind for Sat Wozza....

Take care
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    2 days to go...........
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

just over 24 hrs to go......

Will be wearing blue / white striped Andover AC vest, with a red hat / bandana.

Dont be afraid to shout Hi...... hope to meet some of you tomorrow....
  • Options
    Probably in red headband and OMM backpack and talking bollox as usual. All fired up but got a bit of a cold in the throat so might be a bit husky ladies!
  • Options
    I'm likely to wearing a bright orange Holland football shirt. I won't be talking much as I'll be out of breath!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well I didnt walk up her back passage......

Only coz I never made it there -

RACE REPORT - G3 XC 10k

Very cold, nice long warm up and feeling good for a hard strong challage....

Good start, got to first hill at mile one...

TWIST, CRACK, OUCH, BO****KS.............

Ankle gave way under me, same one as 7 weeks ago........ pulled up and out straight away, didnt feel too bad so started to jog back to start, still no major problems with it.......

By the time I had got home had a tennis ball on the side of my ankle, still no pain and full weight bearing and movement at the moment - doing the usual, RICE, now have to wait and see.

Im hoping that it will not be too bad, due to the movement and lack of pain..... will re-evaluate in the morning and take it from there......

3 weeks to coastal Marathon, 8 weeks to my Ultra and 11 weeks to FLM.......

Hope your races went better....

Take care