Options

paper recycling

2»

Comments

• Options
    They were obviously worried about you shredding it just to make a nice cosy bedding for any local rats.

Why the hell else would you shred?!

Someone stole our food recycling bin the other day. It was full of waste food, then two days later, came back empty. GROSS!!
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Maybe they keep pigs Garr.
  • Options
    there's a whole movement called Freegans who feed by scavenging from bins - usually at supermarkets, shops etc who often throw away perfectly edible food

makes a lot of sense if you ask m
  • Options
  • Options
    we call them thieving pikey b@stards round our way

:-)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    but we say it with posh vowels...
  • Options
    but you get posh food for free :P
  • Options
    Jj..as far as I know, it's to do with fibre lengths or something...cross-cut shredders chop the long fibres up which apparently makes it un-recyclable. I'm not an expert tho (in case you hadn't guessed)
  • Options
    2 dogs has a point there.

However, there is a better way.

If your Local Authority accepts general paper, glossy paper, card and so on for recycling, let them have it whole.

The semi confidential (non-glossy, non-plastic) stuff can go through the shredder, and then onto the compost bin. It acts a bit like grass cuttings and breaks down just like the rest.

Different Councils have got different contracts for what they do with the recyclable waste portions.
    I know of one that takes dry newspaper, and pounds it back to fibre as an additive for SMA - a top grade road making asphalt.
    Our lot are fussy about the plastic that they take, only top grade HDPE milk containers. That gets shredded, washed, and re-used as, er, HDPE plastic for non- food use.

This all reminds me of when I stored something in the loft in bin bags that were labelled as Biodegradable. 12 months later there was a pile of black dusty flakes............
  • Options
    Try and recycle as much as I can. Would like our council to start and recycle plastic bottles. It kills me to put the in the bin. They make up the bulk of our rubbish. Food waste that doesn't go into the dog, (ie peelings, from fruit and veg) goes on the compost heap with the shredded paper and cardboard. I recycle my glass, cans and paper. I even take any old clothes that won't go into charity bags to the recycling point with any shoes. So Sunderland Council get your finger out and get us facilities to recycle plastic bottles!!!! You send us leaflets out to do more recycling!!!!!
  • Options
    The glass and can recycle bin was really embarressing over Christmas. We like one other neighbour had 5 bags that wouldn't go into the box. Only I missed them two weeks previously!!!

We also have a brown bin for Garden waste, but we compost ours. So the brown bin now has plant pots in it beside the greenhouse!!!!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    ooooo - now. Shredded paper in the compost bin...We have a huge green garden waste wheelie that we're allowed to put some paper in, like the stuff you wrap food waste in. I wonder if I'm allowed to put shredded paper in that?