Options

Very cold legs...

2»

Comments

• Options
    NYL - I don't know yet! Critical temperature for hat wearing whilst cycling or skiing is a different matter but I think I'd always overheat when running.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    FB I think that would just give me a headache! I'm not bothered really - got plenty of hair.

did your headlight chafe as much as a headsweat?[blink]
  • Options
    I cant wear a hat either. They pop off like Jj's! Plus I get an itchy forehead & waaay too sweaty!
    I went to the club with cycling shorts & trackies, a long sleeve top & t-shirt over the top. Followed by a jumper & ski jacket! & gloves!

Once I'd warmed up I ran in the 2 base layers! Its nice to put the rest back on when you've finished.
  • Options
    I suspect my very small head helps with the "hat not popping off" thing.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    microcephaly's a turrible ting.
  • Options
    Hi Guys:
    I just want to say that i was really stiff last night as well!!!!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh my aching sides.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    microcephaly's a turrible ting.
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    ¦oD

a turrible turrible ting, in fact.
  • Options
    You're so funny Jj!....<LOL>

I said small head ...not brain. ;0)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    sure and what would a big brain be doin' in a small head?
  • Options
    Thinking or lurking!!!!
  • Options
    Out running last night in four inches of snow. Yep still in shorts !

One group of teenage girls did enquire as to whether I was cold in a disbelieving way, although personally I think they were just trying to slow me down so that they could admire my legs :-)

Also one car honked its horn as a sign of madness as well I think ;-)
  • Options
    Wear ya leggings and over the top a pair of tracksuit bottoms or move to Botswana.
  • Options
    ye...us scots have the same prob...
    tru wearing another pair of bottom that come to your calf. i wear mine under leggings in cold/windy weather and it works great for me. also the extra fit around your abs will encourage you to keep your core/postural muscles in place!! ;-) j
  • Options
    are you sure it's your legs that were the problem? When your torso and head gets cold your body reduces the bloodflow to the body extremities (i.e. it's trying to concentrate on keeping your vital organs and brain warm) resulting in cold hands and feet.

Sometimes it's better to wear a windproof (e.g. Montane Featherlite) top and a hat (e.g. Berghaus Powerstretch) and concentrating on keeping your torso warm. You may even get away with running in shorts (which means swaeting less).
  • Options
    When it is cold and windy then it is worth investing in a pair of Gore tights (such as the Mythos ones); they may be expensive but they keep the legs warm and allow you to get on with the run without problems. The quad muscles have good blood supply but for them to feel numb one of two things must have happened: either the blood was shunted to help the running and ignored the need to keep the muscles warm, or your core temperature was threatened with a significant drop so the circulation prioritised brain and upper body (when lungs, liver, heart need to keep warm) and left the lower limbs very cold. My wife and I bought a jacket/trouser Mythos Gore text windstopper running outfit last month and use it whenever rain/cold/wind threaten to cut a run short.
  • Options
    I think I've had a eureka moment. Last week I went out with my club had no motivation and was constantly cold, arms and everywhere. Often I wear a little hat (100% polyester from Sainsbury's - top stuff...) but I didn't last week as I thought it makes me over heat. Did have the gloves on though. I think I need to wear the hat, and shove it down my tights when I get hot. I find over heating is the thing which makes me want to stop more than anything. Yesterday in the sun I stripped down to a t shirt and tights and was comfortable. 12 months running and now I realise!
  • Options
    I always have cold legs and bum when i run even when it's not that cold out. I think I have bad circulation. At this time of year I wear some Low Alpine long-johns under my tights and it really works. I still have a cold bum by the end but my legs feel looser. It works out cheaper than buying the more expensive winter running tights.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    i'm still wearing short but i have got myself one of those windproof jackets. found it a bit too walm at first but i'm used to it now. its really good.
  • Options
    The rest of me didn't feel cold & I really enjoyed the run - just my thighs and bum were frozen numb! I think I shall be investing in a pair of tights!

• Options
    I bought the Lady Gore Mythos jacket and tights last month following a rave review from Runners World as I suffer from the cold big time.

They are absolutely fabulous, cost around £200 for the lot and worth every penny. I stick them on with a Helly Hanson base layer top underneath and I'm warm as toast. I can go out about 4.30 in the the morning with this kit and a beanie hat and gloves on and not get cold.

The Brookes Nightlife tights and matching top are also nice and warm, though not the same spec as the Gore. Again, nice base layer to go under the top and warm again.
  • Options
    Gore running wear is brill - I have 2 long sleeved shirts - you would swear one was a thick fleece, but when I come back from a long run the inside is warm and dry but not too hot and all the moisture is sitting on the outside in a thin film - its the only real example I've seen of an intelligent fabric - buy one! If you are near East London, He Runs She Runs at Bluewater stock them.