Options

Bells palsy and training?

2»

Comments

• Options
    hehe thanks Alan - yep thats what Hippo said as well

yeh ive read that recovery rates just randomly differ but in most cases people make a full recovery.

have started back my training - ran 4.5m on the treadmill yester and 5m this morning on it.

Did go to a reflexology appointment last night as well but other than totally relaxing me during it I can;t see any other benefits (so far) Im afraid - although ive heard its very good for you.

Yes know what you mean alan - going on a stag weekend this weekend to galway so there may be a straw or two needed :) hehe
    won't stop me though - really looking forward to winding down a good bit !:)

Thanks guys

G
  • Options
    hi all - just giving you an update on this situation so that anyone else who may suffer from bells palsy will know what to expect etc

im into the 9th week of my bells palsy and its SLOWLLLLLY getting better - starting to get some movement back in parts but it is soo damn slow,

Anyways- I did take a week off training but got back on the roads the week after and haven't looked back.

Im about 4 weeks away from my Belfast marathon and am pretty confident of doing it. Done a nice 35mile week last week ;) woohoo :)

Anyways - just wanted to say a big thankyou to all who give me advice etc it was really appreciated.

If anyones interested - I will be running for the Make a Wish Foundation and you can see my fundraising page here:

http://www.justgiving.com/garethdonnelly

Of course don't be afraid it you would like to donate now ! ;) lol

Thanks to all once again

Gareth
  • Options
    great news gareth-big cheesey grin will return:O)
  • Options
    Cheers hoose! :)

Are you EVER off this forum? LOL :)

Hope you're well

G
  • Options
    mokay ta Gareth -have spent too much time on it but reducing now(got forum patch on;O))
  • Options
    I know this is something completely different, but my motorbike racing hero Chris Walker suffered from this a few weeks ago, and he carried on racing.

I think he had problems with sweat going onto the one side of his face under his helmet, so ended up using a sanitory towel inside to soak it up.

Moral of the story is if you're determined, you'll find a way.

Good luck :-)
  • Options
    Oops, I meant to say a couple of YEARS ago, sorry.
  • Options
    good news gareth
    x
  • Options
    Just an update guys.

Completed the Belfast marathon on Monday 7th May there in 4hrs 17mins :) Delighted with it!

Still got the bells palsy (about 30-40% still there) and its a slow recovery.

But just letting others know out there who may be suffering from it and training that its possible to keep on training ;)

Thanks again everyone!

G
  • Options
    bloody brilliant mate
    :))
  • Options
    Well done Gareth, you gritted your teeth and carried on. You must be so pleased, and your family so proud.

:-)
  • Options
    Hello All,
    I had Bells Palsy about 2 years ago, since then I fully recovered and have run two half marathons. I was placed on Antinflamatory medication, and underwent PT and Accupuncture. I am now training for a Full Marathon, and on my longest training run to date, 15miles, I felt a slight headache sensation, similar to what I had during my bout of Bells Palsy. This was about a week ago, and I have had no facial nerves symptoms, but still seem to have the lingering headache sensation on the left side of my head. Has anyone had Bells Palsy and continued distance running post Bells Palsy Recovery?