Options

anyone running on carbimazole?

Is there anyone out there who can share experiences of running whilst on carbimazole or medication to reduce hyperthyroidism?

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in January this year, after experiencing almost constant heart palpitations amongst other symptoms, and was put on a relatively low dose of carbimazole to calm my thyroid down. Luckily the effects of the medication were quite quick and I thought I was well on my way to getting better. However, the doctor envisages months of my taking carbimazole, followed by eventually taking thyroxine (for an underactive thyroid) as he says this is what happens. I am not very keen on taking medication of any sort, although I am grateful to see the back of the palpitations, but to suppress the thyroid to the point of needing to supplement it seems mad to me. Also I have started trying to run again since my HR came within normal range. I have been plodding very slowly, short distances and keeping an eye on my HRM, about 3 - 4 times per week since the beginning of February, definitely not overdoing it. Now I have a job to raise my HR, it feels like I am running through treacle and, even in these winter conditions I get very hot and sweaty.

I wondered if anyone has had similar experiences, whether it is worth continuing to try with the running, or whether I should get another opinion about my medication. I am female, coming up to 38 years old, a little overweight (about half a stone), started running March last year, so still a beginner, and my doctor does not run!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,
    I have been on varying doses of Carbimazole for 10 years and have been running for about 5. I've run a marathon and lots of smaller races on it with no problems at all. Carbimazole has no side effects and is perfectly safe. The only thing I would worry about is that you're taking the correct dose so that you're not experiencing 'hyper' symptoms like heart palpitations, as that can be dangerous when running. have you been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism or Graves Disease?
    Janey x
  • Options
    CT

I did use to find that my patients who were hypothyroid actually felt a bit owrse on treatment-even though their thyroid function tests were in the normal range on the carbimazole

Mild thyroid overactivity can be quite "pleasant"0-if the palpitations arent too bad, patients used to describe having loads of energy, and once started on treatment, some of them took a while to adjust to not feeling like that anymore
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, Janey and Hipps

My doc has not mentioned Graves Disease, i think it said thyrotoxicosis on my notes and he told me 'overactive thyroid'.

From what you say, Hipps, it may be that I just need to get used to feeling different? I am quite an impatient so and so when it comes to being off colour!
  • Options
    I would ask exactly what you have, and get all the right tests done. Thyroid disorders are complex and it took me a long time to learn about it all and figure out what my body was going through. If it isn't Graves that's a good thing, and much easier to control so you probably won't need the Carbimazole long term.
    Anyway, just listen to your body! Good luck x
  • Options
    Thanks very much Janey, I will certainly ask my doctor a few more questions, and for now I am not pushing myself with the running in any way, just going out every other day or so and seeing how I manage for half an hour or so. Do you have Graves, then, if you have been on Carbimazole for 10 years? Its good to read that you feel no side effects of the medication and obviously run well. take care x