Options

Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Do you need a hand strapping them down?
  • Options

Sorry Steve - I'll just buy an Enell bra image

B-oing I guess I just want to make sure I'm training for the right level of hill - there's a big difference between a 5% hill and a 20% incline hill!    Was a bit scared as I thought i was fairly fit, but at the end of a couple of miles I was knackered, calves wondering what they did to deserve it and quads a bit trashed after 1.5 miles continuous steep downhilling!

• Options
    Too much talk of hills, downhills and strapping of chests now on this forum I suggest we get back to chocolate muffins apple crumble and birds custard if you dont mind
  • Options
    I had Damson crumble & Double cream for breakfast this morning - wow!
  • Options

I'm off for lunch - lamb shank and mash, followed by apple pie and CUSTARD!

*yum*

• Options
    SZ what are you doing eating damson crumble and cream for breakfast and too much if I ate that for lunch I wouldn't be able to move after it. Maybe talk of hills and strapped down breasts was better.
  • Options

I have a theory on deserts - never eat them after a dinner (too stuffed) eat them for breakfast

and don't feel guilty! Have to tell you though I've got acid today.

So back to strapping breasts.. 

• Options
    Steve LSD is a banned substance..
  • Options
    How was the  LSM & APC then?
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Well I managed a good long run today, so am slightly happier.

17 local miles. I parked the car at the top of the biggest hill around here, and did a 17m loop out and back. I then (i dont know why!) did 3 hill reps up and down said hill as a bit of a test at the end to see how the legs coped. They seemed ok, although a tiny bit tired. Will aim to do the same course next friday, but with adding probably 2 miles somewhere in the middle.

Just scoffed a blueberry muffin. image

Can we get onto some more manly conversations now? Far too much talk of breasts at the moment! I

Its doing no good for my blood pressure, I need to go for a cold shower.image

• Options
    Me only think of two things...one's my stomach.
  • Options

toomuch & paulf - serious sounding hills .... i really must do better, going to do hills tomorrow morning up the big one outside me house and yes SZ will strap em down, don't want to end up with ones down to me knees ...

all this talk of crumble, its so unfair but i have mostly eaten american brownies from the bakery todayimage .... must have a more varied diet.

oh well, back to the drudgery of work and the impending time limits on absolutely everything at the same time image

• Options

Not too steep a hill b-oing - or else black eyes and bruised knees!

I'm out on a short 'test' run tomorrow lunch, 1st after a 10 day lay off, (But have been caining my turbo charger) have brand new Mizzuno Alchemy Wave  'stability' shoes - Fingers crossed they'll do the trick!

• Options
    Paul - what's the difference between real miles and "local" miles?   if local miles are shorter - can I do them too? image
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Sadly my dear they are both the same!

Boing, I think your 19.5 off road put some of us to shame last week, by the sounds of it you are doing fantastically well with 6 weeks to go.

Thankfully us blokes dont have to strap anything down when we run, Id like to say that I had to of course, but id be lying image

• Options

I'm attempting to run 6 marathons in 6 months this winter for charity, and Snowdon will be number 2. I know it's not quite the endurance50, but I've never run one before, so cut me some slack!

Anyway - I live down in Falmouth, and the costs of train travel up there is already £75! Does anyone know of a site where runners can organise car shares to make travelling to races that little bit more affordable?

It's for the WWF by the way, and you can follow my progress here: http://soulchaser.blogspirit.com/ 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Think Llanberis YH is full Fri night.  Im camping in Nant Peris.  There are two sites - one is opposite the pub.  Nice 1.5-mile warm-up run to the start from there.  Less good is the 3 miles or so back after the finish.

Steve H - my half times are exactly the same as yours. I did 4:07 last year which I was disappointed with (usually about 3:40 on the flat) so I think 4 hours is well within reach.  You'll need to have built up a 5-6 minute cushion by mile 22 to allow for that hill - the uphill as well as the descent which can be a bit slow in road shoes if wet.  But it is your first marathon so I wouldn't bust a gut if I were you.  If you can't keep the required pace up in the second half, forget the time and enjoy yourself.

Martin H - I can see with you it won't be long before it's 6 marathons in 6 weeks and then 6 in 6 days. 

• Options

I hope you're right T Rex. It's all about pushing your own boundaries, right?!

But seriously - any ideas on catching a ride with other runners? 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Martin - You mean like they do in adventure races?  If a team member is tired someone attaches a rope and pulls you along.

I'm in S Wales so can't help really.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

TRex, good luck with the camping, you're a brave soul. My mind goes back to 2002 and the shocking wind and rain. I didnt sleep very well in my cosy hotel room cos of the constant sound of dustbin lids smashing on the walls outside!

Martin, sorry I cant assist with a lift either as I'm coming from the midlands.

Feelin pretty good today after yesterdays hilly effort, I might have a bit of a recovery run when I wake up (just come home from an extremely quiet night shift, the highlight of which was being asked out by a rather foxy nurse!! image&nbspimage

• Options

And did you accept Paul???  image

Sorry can't help with the lift either Martin, am coming from Manchester way.

• Options

on the subject of muffins, albeit belatedly, did you hear about the irshman who thought muffin the mule was a sex offence

i'll get me coat

nice one there paul..it wasn't nurse gladys by any chance was it!!!!?

• Options
    Exactly how do you Muff a Mule CD? (A friend of mine would like to know)
  • Options

Martin, sorry can't help, coming from Exeter but going up days before and staying for a few days after and will have a car full of mountaineering equipment (not for the race for OH to go clambering around Snowdon).  I did think there was someone on here from St Austell but its a bit of along thread to go back ..

Not running today, twang me hip cycling yesterday so thought take an easy day, got 15 miles on sunday which should be ok .... how's your schedule going toomuch?

• Options
    CD could have been! I could do with a bit of excitement in my life and Kenyan hills isn't it! Martin I can't help either going to stay with outlaws in Barmouth a few days before. Hope you manage to get sorted perhaps Runners world should have some sort of forum on the site so that people could car share I was looking for a lift on Sunday and willing to pay petrol costs. Have had to recruit my neice to take me.
  • Options

image Managed the 20 miler this morning, sadly no hills as it had to be local, and the weekend's too busy to fit it in (working). My foot is now made of compeed, but still holding up. I still managed to make it into the office by 9am, but I gotta say, working just doesn't seem as interesting as sleeping right now. I've already managed to get the blueberry muffin in but Damson crumble, oooo, I'm just drooling at the thought. Send me pictures of puddings to keep me awake.

I'm no help with lifts unfortunately - I'll be in a car full of friends and their lil'un and coming from the wrong town. That's useful info isn't it image

• Options

Hmm not too bad.. tempo run went out of the window last night, but had done that extra hill work, so don't feel so bad about it..

Can't decide between an 18 miler as a build up to next weeks 20 miler or stick with the 15 even though made a balls up of last weeks 16.. hmmmm what to do!  suspect will go for the 18 and see how I get on ....

• Options
    fingers crossed for you toomuch ... i'm going to do me 15 and then have a bit of a plod and see how far i can go after .... going for a big chocolate and coffee boost at lunch, well if that's what you can call the five minutes i have away from my computer, desk and telephone ... roll on January!
  • Options

Thanks guys. I'll keep looking. I've found too free car share websites that look pretty good:

www.liftshare.org

www.nationalcarshare.co.uk

no joy yet but I'm sure i'll work something out image

• Options
    Martin, you could also start a new forum under Snowdonia event thingy because there may be people in the same predigament but who are scared of by this forum ... perhaps its something that RW Web guys could think about (if you're listening .....)