Options

Soggy toes after run

Hi everyone

after a long run, my toes look disgusting. White and soft and I could pull skin right off... not unlike a ultra long bath I suppose... 

Should I be wearing different socks? (I do have special running socks) do I just put up with the soggy toes? does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

I haven't had this after running but I do a lot of high altitude trekking and climbing/mountaineering.  I found I got something similar after wearing my boots for a over a week.

I changed to a better brand of sock with a inbuilt wicking liner.  Maybe changing your socks to a full wicking set may help?  Also my new boots have a B3 rating which means that its a fully stiffened boot which doesn't move or bend.  Following that logic through, maybe you need a new shoe fitting?

Not sure how much help that was image

• Options

Also worth reading up on Athlete's Foot, sounds like you may be harbouring it?

• Options
    try putting a bit of talc in your socks - help to keep your feet dry.
  • Options

Ballesteros: Athlete's foot has crossed my mind, but in non-running mode my feet are fine and I showed them to a pharmacist just to check. Thanks for the tip though...

The older I get: talc is a good idea... I will try that

Ian: yes, your comment was helpful - thanks! I will go back to an older sock tonight and see how my toes look after.

• Options

Just wondering whether my shoes are a bit short? I do wear them a half size bigger than my daytime shoes... ?

• Options

I hope you're not wearing Goretex shoes. Mine got like that a time or two when hiking Offa's Dyke this July. Only on days with a lot of dampness and Goretex shoes though.

• Options

Hey Steve

thanks for your comment... no, no Goretex shoes here. I've been to have my feet checked out by a "foot person", who removed quite a bit of dead skin and it's a bit better actually. Going for a long one tonight, so I'll see...