Options

Powerlung trainer

E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I saw an advert for Powerlung trainer on Sportspursuit and I've seen various reports about it's actual ability to help you increase your lung capacity and I wanted to see if anyone on here had any advice/opinions?

Does anyone use one? Does it help?

I've got Asthma and I've seen something very similar used in hospitals in patients to help build up their muscles to help them breathe more effectively so I can see it working in patients who's lung capacity isn't great to start with - but is it any benefit to athletes?

Comments

• Options

Fad. It doesnt' improve things on a long term basis. Do a search in the archivs and you'll see some of the old threads.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi LN, I had a look on google and some of the 'older' threads on here but seeing as medicines and research progress so regularly I wanted to see if there anything 'new'.

• Options
    There are also altitude masks that claim to offer the benefit of training at altitude through making it hard to breathe. It's not the same at all and would only offer you benefits if you had something wrong with your lungs in the first place.
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Use a straw of a biro lid instead. Or ducktape up your mouth and breathe through your nose (this also helps reduce calorie intake!)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    It's not the same at all and would only offer you benefits if you had something wrong with your lungs in the first place.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've only seen them used in hospitals where patients have had weakened lung muscles already... I just wondered if it'd work for a 'normal' person.

• Options

Why not try an altitude training system.  At Core Conditioning Ltd Manchester we have an altitude training system which adapts to your body in real time and can lower the oxygen levels to as low as 7%.  It has proven results in increasing fitness and training levels, whilst reducing recovery time.  Get in touch if you would like some more info.

• Options

Fad, they aren't used by professional sportsmen