Tuesday 29th January 2013

Morning!
Late night here so thought I would relieve LMH/Birks  of the lyric posting duties.

Lyrics are: I'll sing it one last time for you
Then we really have to go
You've been the only thing that's right
In all I've done

Hope you all saw Straycelt's video clip: there's a clue there! Especially band wise!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UerjFCLdI

What: another 15-20 mins, although lower legs both feel a little battered
Why: I don't think that they are used to running!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning. 

Much appreciated Alehouse.

Yesterday's lyrics were Better Days by The Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen. Made up indeed!

Great to see Tinebeest and Stickless back.

Sorry to hear about the bike Blisters - good that you are able to fix it yourself.

What:                just a swim
    Why:                 easy day required
    Last hard:         not crying as the smt worked on me!
    Last rest:          25/1

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • What: Appraisal.image Badminton tonightimage
    Why: Mandatory leading to Revalidation in 2015 for me
    Last Hard: Saturday
    Last rest: yesterday

Son home with us for the week working in Kirkwall - image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,

Many thanks for all the kind words about the smaller ones achievement, just need to work on improving both swim and run times for the final (March).
    Blisters - thank you for providing a reason I don't 'do' biking very much
    Tine/Stickless - great to hear from you both and good luck with the mountain marathon!
    lyric - not sure I do..
    what - club night, 400m reps I think
    why - Tuesday's session
    last rest - sunday
    last hard - saturday

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

What: rest
    Why: I really hurt from hitting the pavement yesterday.  I can barely lift up my arms!!!
    Lyrics: yes image

Good to have you back tine and Stickless.  Keep us posted on how the training is going...especially with all those hills around you...
    OH good luck with the appraisal.
    Blisters hope you get your bike sorted

Have a good one all.

• Tinebeest and stickless: how lovely to have you back with us. Fab news about the moutain marathon image. Tine - are you back in the UK then?

Blisters: hopefully it's the 5 quid option ...

what: LT run last night and recovery this morning
    why: LT run was scheduled for this morning but weather forecast said gale force winds and rain (and that's what we got) so I didn't fancy doing speedwork in this.
    last hard: this morning! The LT run felt fine and I surprised myself with 10 miles, including 4 and a bit miles at 7:10 pace and 2 miles at PMP (7:50) image. But this morning I felt tired and horrible with very heavy legs image
    last rest: 21/1
    lyrics: I guess so! If the video is a clue image

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

emzap oh thats not good! Look after yourself

alehouse is that a nice battered leg ache?

oh hope the appraisal goes well

hope your legs ease up chickadee

well last nights track was good, did alternating 400's in 2min and 2.15 min respectively, 14 of them!

what: rest

why: have to fit in lsr tomorrow

last hard: last night

last easy: friday

have a good day

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

What 16.74 miles on the bike
    Why: 2013 goal
    Last Hard: Today in parts
    Lyrics: They are familiar

• Afternoon

What Nowt
    Why Recovering
    Lyrics yes

Welcome back Stickless and Tinebeest best of luck with the mountain marathon.

Blisters Bikes are the Devils invention designed to sap middle aged men of sweat and money. If God intended us to cycle then we would have been born with cleated feet!

Talking of cyclists I had dinner with Gobi and Rach E on Saturday. Unfortunately I was coming down with a terrible cold and was hardly able to eat or talk. However it was good to catch up with him again.

Given last weeks ice and this weeks illness it looks like that my trip to Wokingham will be more of an also ran than a proper race effort. Ho Hum......

• Thanks for the welcome backs.  Good to be back.  

Emzap - I am rather relieved to hear arm aches mentioned before knees.  I still have memories of picking gravel out of knees from sliding on clay tennis courts.   Not a happy memory either.

Pammie - fill me in - what's the goal?

Hope the appraisal went ok, Ohter Half.

Chickadee - what are you training for?

Postie - bad luck about the cold.

Me? Rest day by design.  Feel quite tired.  Tomorrow morning Tinebeest and i will go Kingfisher spotting..

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

Hi Stickless  Good to see you back and Tinebeest  and good luck with your next challenge  sounds good

My goal is rather silly  nothing to o with any event its just a personal goal to cycle 2013 miles this year (i did just over 1000 last year so it would be  a 100% increase) and a sub goal is to do 100 in a week sometime this year most i've done is  55ish)

• Other Half: hope the appraisal went alright!

Emzap: hills? Molehills, yes...

Chickadee: just back for a quick visit to Cambridge. I am still stationed in Leiden (NL) and not at all sure where the next job is going to be. Kazakhstan is a possibility. At least they have hills!

Blisters: hope it is the cheap fix, and you're spot on with the equipment thing. That is why I got into running, and have recently started Taijiquan again. Equipment fail reduced to a minimum. I like Postie's notion of evolutionary biology!

Wabo: sounds like a good work out. Haven't had one of those for ages.

Postie: sorry to hear about the cold playing havoc with your race intentions.

What: nothing runningwise

Why: we're going tomorrow morning for a run

Take care!
  • Lyrics? no

Ale, take your time, it will return.
    LMH; who or what is the SMT?
    OH, we all hate appraisals. It’s a game. You think that you’re doing OK. You daren’t say that. You have to say that you’re brilliant. They think that you’re doing OK. They daren’t say that, as they feel that they have to justify their own existence as managers and find an area where you can “be developed”. Then there’s the total bull about it not being linked in any way to the pay awards. Excuse me, but if I work my butt off and produce the goods, I expect to be rewarded, and I expect the slackers to get knocked. If that’s not being discussed at appraisal time then they are all in cloud cuckoo land. Sorry, I’ll get off the soap box now. After all, you might be a Boss Person.

Dustin, small one is still brilliant.
    Emzap, I guess that you’ll be bruised in all sorts of places that didn’t take a hit, but got a whiplash shock. It’s the little muscles that pull all too easily.
    Chick, you’re proper hard, you are.
    Wabo: good session. I used to enjoy the masochism of track repeats. Trying to get the intervals regular, but still hard work. Wait until the session is 25x 400m in 90seconds each, with 30s rest.
    Postie, I bet that Gobi/Rach were ecstatic about you giving them both the dreaded lurgy.
    Pammie, that’s a big bike target, unless you commute on it?

Stickless: I hope that the Kingfishers found fish under the ice.

Training: 6.6 miles round the rat run. Drizzling horizontally, it could have been Plymouth. It’s most unlike me to positively choose to run in the rain. I blame you lot. I appear to have crossed a line in the dirt. It means that I am a runner again. (7:36m/m pace. We are getting there. Calf buzzing warmly, but not annoying).
    Bike? The repair is the £5 option. The biggest recommendation I always hear is that wheels are the best investment. Now take your pick £150, £200, £300, £600. Personally, I am known as much for my deep pockets as my short arms.

• Evening!

What: a mile or so walk and then 3k run in 18:47
    Why: I believe it is called training. Whilst it was a "steady" run (I could have gone faster) that is almost 2 minutes faster than last Tuesday's 5k. Heading in the right direction still, but need to go back to slower, longer, and if necessary walk/run for the next few days. The downside is my "good" calf is a little tender, and no, Wabo, it is not that "nice" battered leg ache, so I will be taking extra care tomorrow.

And Wabo, I see Spurs didn't drop any points tonight!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Blisters - good to hear it was the £5 option

What - 15 mins easy (1.91m) 3 x 10 mins kenyan hills (1.44m / 1.45m / 1.47m) off 90 sec rec 15 min easy (1.94m) 8.70m in total.
    Why - Hill Work
    Last hard - Tonight
    Last rest - yesterday

Take care

• Appraisals in GP are slightly different from those in an employee/employer situation.
    I'm actually self employed in a partnership.
    Appraisals for us are basically about gathering evidence that you are a fit doctor to practice (in post Shipman world). This now culminates in a statutory revalidation every 5y (first batch this year) - mine comes up in 2015.
    Failing revalidation means that you can no longer practice as a doctor.

• Shipman was loved by his elderly patients, lots of them remembered him in their wills....

• I think I kept enough distance as nothing has shown up on facebook yet.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

No running but YES to the lyrics! image

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Blisters yes. Alas my commute is short  my yearly commute adds up to around 624 miles but i like a challenge and hope it will tempt me to cycle extra rather then just to and from work and whats it they say if your goal doesn't scare you it isn't high enough

Its an average 5.51 miles a day that sounds easy on its own doesn't it image

Glad the bike was a cheap fix