Options

Should I abandon the half marathon

I started training for a half marathon (done a few before) which is on 28th April.

Then in week 4 I got a virus and has lasted over 12 days, I've done a few recovery runs this week and its been tough. Should I abandon the race on the 28th and concentrate on another one I have in early June?

Comments

• Options

No reason why you should unless your virus is still thriving, it's three weeks away and if you're not new to the distance the miles will be in your legs

• Options

I agree - I've got a Half on the 28th too and had a horrible chest infection over the Easter period.  I'd got up to 7.5 miles but then was off my feet for 10 days.  On Sunday I did 8.5 miles - did run/walk and this seemed to work just fine.  So  go ahead - the miles will be in your legs somewhere!!!!  Maybe you won't do a spectacular time but its the taking part isnt it?!!!!

• Options

I've only done one so feel free to disregard my inexperienced advice, but I had a bad cold for the couple of weeks before and during my half, which meant my taper week consisted of no running at all until the day before the race, when I managed to do a gentle couple of miles around a park.

The race day itself consisted of lots more coughing and spitting than I'd have liked to have done, but I only missed my ambitious original target time by a couple of minutes, I got around with a good time really.

I would carry on with the intention of doing it - as a warm up for your later one, rather than flat out?