Options

"Down Tow Up Flow" Half-Marathon

MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

One of my favourites, this one. I try to do it every year. Usually decent weather too. Can't go wrong with a Purple Patch event, tbh.

I'm in!

Comments

• Options

Agree with Purple patch - loved the Uxbridge to Watford event last year. Not sure I can do this but would love too

• Options

2Wheels - if you can make it, this event is def worth a go.  A lovely route.  The hardest part for me is running past the canal boats and smelling the bacon cooking! image

I missed last year as I did the Wycombe event (killed me for a couple of weeks!), but am back for this year.

Agree with Mr Muttley

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Pity this one isn't an out-and-back route. We could place our bacon butty orders with the canal boaters on the outward leg and collect on the return ... Smoked back with a dash of HP for me, and milk and two sugars please ...

• Options

Brilliant - I like that idea Muttley.

• Options

I'm praying it's not going to be hot! Why o why did I book a half in the middle of the summer!?

• Options

But if it is hot Sophie, there's a perfect opportunity for a post-race picnic!!

• Options

Hello all,

I hope this is the right forum, but here goes anyway.

I have a non-affiliated entry that I cannot make use for anymore for this race. If anyone is interested or knows of anyone interested, I'd be happy to transfer it at cost.

Many thanks,

Wilhelm

• Options

My email is w.s.willy@gmail.com,  using this would be quicker than messaging me here.

Thanks!

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I hope the heatwave breaks before this one. As I recall there is a fair bit of shade en route but also some sun traps as well.

I don't perform in the heat.

• Options

Looking forward to this as it's my first half marathon, actually my first running event of any kind! ANy advice on whether the first or second half is easier.

• Options

I've made an organisational faux pas in that i've got tickets to the Olympic Anniversary Games, and need to be in Stratford in East London by 2pm.  I'll never run fast enough to be able to co-ordinate my travel etc so disappointingly, I'm going to miss this event now image

Philives - it's all flat and mainly on towpath so no real difference.  There're a couple of bridges and sets of stairs to negotiate but they are in the first half.

Other than that, no difference.

• Options

To those that have done this before - is it relatively smooth underfoot?  I'm guessing it's not as smooth as running on road, but not as rough as trail running?  Can anyone help at all?

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

It's pretty good underfoot, Owen. Firm trail, mostly packed earth and towpath as I recall. Some grassy bits along fields. After a prolonged spell of dry weather it will be okay. Road shoes probably best.

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Forecast is for huge thunderstorms the day before, possibly with torrential downpours. Could be interesting underfoot  image

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Another fine day out. I struggled a bit in the final few miles but still turned in a time a bit better than expected and placed better than usual so clearly many were affected by the warmth and humidity.

Thanks to PP for laying on the extra water station. It was needed.

The results are up! Smart work, guys.

• Options

Ran this with a few friends who I would say were marathon veterans and we all found this a hard race, may be it was the kissing gates, maybe it was the bridges and steps or the disappearance of mile markers between mile 8 and 11 or maybe it was the 70% humidity?

Very well organised, good atmosphere, plenty of Marshall's.