Options

Ridgeway 85 - 2012

12346»

Comments

• Options

Thanks for the info. Looks like it will be a map in hand job. All adds to the fun though.

• Options

I have the route as a GPX file if anyone wants to use a GPS such as Garmin..

• Options

Thanks Mike don't think GPX is compatible with my new Suunto. Not that know what to do with it even if it was.

• Options

Dill. Its a doddle to convert the GPX file. What suunto do you have? I'll convert it and send you something that works!

• Options

Great Mike much appreciated. I have an ambit.

• Options

Dill, the ambit looks a nice piece of kit! You need to register at movescount by the looks of it. The route I have sent you is a GPX file of the Ridgeway which works fine with the ambit and movescount.

There are lots of guides on youtube I'm sure this will be very easiest way to learn how to use the watch and get the route onto it.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Last run today, about 12 miles covering six 2000' peaks in the central Brecon Beacons.  Now time to try to rest up a bit and get kit organised.

I'll be arriving at Tring Sta at 1000, coming  from Euston (and before that S Wales ...)

I don't use gadgets - map and compass seem to do the job for me.  Certainly needed them today with about 30m visibility (low cloud) for virtually all the route.

• Options

Blimey T that's quite a run so close to this.

I have actually had a restful two weeks and feel like crap. To top it I've had a migraine today and one of my side effects is exhaustion the following day. So will be interested to see how that pans out.

Might bump into you tomorrow T.

• Options

All that worry for nothing. 7th Overall 2nd in the over 40's 16hr 49. Very pleased indeed.

• Options
    shawkshawk ✭✭✭
  • Options

Great work Dill, well done.

• Options

Outstanding result. 

• Options

Thanks guys and as a added bonus reckon i'll be back running tomorrow.

• Options
    WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Well done Dill. Glad to hear you had a good run.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Impressive, *Dill*.  That really is a fast time.  I think it's all these 100s you do - makes an 85 seem very straightforward. You didn't spend much time getting lost, then?   Unlike the leader, I hear!  I was looking out for someone resembling your pic but drew a blank.

I was hoping for 22 hours.  I tend to have to spend some of the time, sometimes a lot of time, shuffling or walking in ultras.  It was all looking good for a possible course best (21:46) up to CP7 (62 miles) but up to CP8 things started not to pan out and after CP8 (70 miles) it was a difficult job to get to the finish.  The last 4 miles took 2 hours.  My feet had become very hot, swollen, and blistered.

I had put a large compeed on a hot spot on the ball of my left foot about mile 32, thinking that would solve potential problems but instead doing that made them a lot worse. The blister carried on forming under the compeed and by the end it was larger than the plaster itself (so about 4" long) with fluid radiating up and down and across my foot with every footfall.  And of course I couldn't take the thing off.

I really seem prone to blisters which spoil my enjoyment of long events.

A great event, though.  I'm going to enter at least one more time to see if I can get into the 21s again.

Next up is the 10Peaks Brecon Beacons (for which that training run was a recce, *Dill*). I've entered TP100 so I might meet you there.

• Options

Well done T on the finish. It's so hard to grind out a finish when your hurting.

Thanks WiB. Glad you didn't show or I would have been another place down. 

Race report to follow. 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Looking forward to reading that.  I notice you were particularly speedy between CPs 5 & 6 and flying in the last section.

• Options

T my pre race plan had been to run a 10hour 50mile then a 7 hour 35mile. I pretty much done that.

As soon as I was told I was in 10th I ran all of the last 25 and over took 3 people. I was about 300mtrs behind 6th place in the end. Sneaky bugger knew I was behind him and turned his head torch off and shut the gates quietly (he told me so). When I spotted him we were just turning off the Ridgeway so I had no time to catch him. I really enjoyed racing and not just plodding miles out.