Options

Dynamic stretching - struggling to get on board

Hello

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't see a thread for it...

I haven't really read around running for about 10 years now and it seems like in the meantime pre-run dynamic stretching has become the done thing. However, blissfully unaware of this I have carried on merrily static stretching before all my runs.

So the other day I decided to try a dynamic warm up that I got from the US Runners World website before going for a 3 mile run (which was in fact more of a jog). I found that my legs just felt really heavy while I was running and two days later they are still aching despite having done static stretching after my cool down.

I did the same run last week, faster, and with static stretching beforehand and felt no after effects.

Soooo... I am interested to know if anyone had this same experience? Do you have any recommendations on how to do dynamic stretching right?

Also, while I have read that static stretching damages muscle performance, what is the evidence around dynamic stretching and injury prevention?

Your thoughts much appreciated!

Kirsty

Comments

• Options
    Meh. I don't stretch before running.

I sometimes stretch after if I'm made to.

If that stretching doesn't suit you - don't do it ?
  • Options

Static stretching before a race is fine as long as you do it after a warm up. Don't be concerned about reports of loss of performance. Our limiting factor is always going to be aerobic. I'd say carry on stretching, after a warm up.

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭

Also, while I have read that static stretching damages muscle performance, what is the evidence around dynamic stretching and injury prevention?

No evidence that it does anything. 
    Even ignoring all the research that consistently shows it does nothing, a simple thought experiment would reveal that the the actual limb movement involved in running is well within the norms of every day motion.
    Myths of running injuries -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQlku3ko1Y4
    (14 minutes in)

• Options

Hi 

Thanks for your replies and for the video, Ian.

I did a quick search online looking for research papers and found 2 things

a) there weren't many comparing static and dynamic stretching

b) those that there were mainly referred to an effect on muscle performance in explosive activities like sprinting or jumping

I'm beginning to think I would rather accept whatever small percentage decrease in muscle power static stretching causes over an injury.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Ian M -- I think with running there pretty much isn't any conclusive evidence around anything...

• Options
    Ian MIan M ✭✭✭