Options

2 weeks to run a sub 1:20 half marathon

Hi All,

Running the Birmingham Half Marathon a week on Sunday (20th) and want to try and run it in under 1 hour 20 minutes. I haven't been following a strict training schedule but generally keep in quite good shape and ran about 10 miles on Sunday in 6.30 time and a 5 mile yesterday probably in 6's (I've lost my running watch so guessing here at timings and distances -hopefully not too optimistically.)

Have ran a 1.23 for a half marathon in the past but just wanted an idea of what I should be doing between now and next Sunday to try and dip under 1 hour 20.

Thanks,

Callum

Comments

• Options

There's not much you can do between now and then, your speedwork should have been built up in the preceding months.

Don't do any long runs between now and then; keeping your legs fresh is your best bet.

• Options

Not much you can do now, but if you did run 6 mins mile pace for 5 miles and felt comfortable, with the 10 miler in 6:30's there is no reason why you can't at least have a go at sub 1hr 20 mins. Would go for a 4 mile run at race pace at the weekend hopefully feeling comfortable to gain a little confidence for a target time.

• Options

- Work out how you are going to pace yourself to 6:06 min/mile pace on the day (find that watch, or buy a stopwatch)

- Run a small number of miles at 6:06 pace to get a feel for the pace

- In terms of training, preserve and protect what you have developed to date; you are out of time to improve further, but have plenty of time to injur or tire yourself

- Give the race your best shot, and if it doesn't come off, then give yourself a proper buildup.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

cripes, and they say we're a want it all today type generation!!