Options

How much importance do you place on diet?

Interested to know how important people on here consider their diet to running? I generally eat healthily (no processed foods etc) and tend to eat well a couple of hours before a quality session. Always try to have banana quickly after a run too. Other than that I eat whatever I fancy - one benefit of being so active!

Comments

• Options

That reminds me, I'd better check the potatoes and put the vegetables on. I'm  rather hungry as it happens.

• Options

Unless it's before a run or the night before a race I eat what I like - within reason.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

A lot, but that's an occupational hazard image

• Options

I generally ate fairly healthily but worked my way through a fair bit of rubbish too, I was always on the edge of healthy weight/overweight on the weight/height charts, and wrongly thought 'but i'm a runner, I can't be overweight". I decided to cut out all the rubbish I was eating at Easter this year when my weight tipped 11 stone, it was tough at first but I kept at it and my weight steadily fell. As I got lighter I just felt different and my running performance improved much quicker than I had ever imagined it could. I'm 48, almost 49 now and 9 1/2 stone. I'm running quicker than I ever have in my life. Weight plays a huge part in running performance (and how you feel about yourself) Diet is important, for anyone carrying a few exra pounds it's the big variable that you can control that will have a huge impact on your running.