Options

Advice on improving

Hi I am a 38 year old women. Having never been physically active I have had 3 periods of serious illness over the past three winters. I realised that I needed to make some lifestyle changes and started c25k 3 months ago. I have also improved my diet and lost 2 stone and can now run for 35 minutes, 3 times per week. This has been hard but I am feeling the mental and physical benefits. I still need to loose 1.5 stones to be in the healthy bmi. In the 35 minutes I cover about 3.8k. What can I do next to continue to improve? How many days a week should I train?

Comments

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Well done on what you have achieved so far image 

Depends what your ultimate goals are. If you have a parkrun near you http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ you could go along on Saturdays - it is timed free 5k run/walk and try to build up to 5k.

I think there may be a plan somewhere that takes you from 5k to 10k, but you could try extending one of your runs a little bit each week, keeping the other 2 the same. I wouldn't bother doing any speed work yet, it  makes you more vulnerable to injury

Don't try to do too much too soon as you will end up injured and frustrated

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

What do you mean by "improve"?  Run faster?  Run for longer?  Run further?  One thing I would suggest in by a decent book about running.