Options

Right quad fatigue

Hi,

I am hoping someone might be able to give me some pointers. Ive been out of action for 7-8 weeks running wise, with a few aborted comebacks. The main issue was within my hip.glute area, with possible TFL injury at point it attaches to ITB.

During my time injured i have done quite a bit of spin/cycling and gym work. The injury seems to have finally cleared up. However throughout the whole period I have found that my right quad fatigues very quickly (this is my strongest leg). My physio identified a few weeks back a clear weakness in my glute medius which he said meant my right quad was doing all the work. I have done a lot of specific glute strengthing exercises and stretches over last 3-4 weeks.

I have just been for a gentle 3 miles on the treadmill. There was no issue from the original injury, however my right quad feels more like its raced a 5k.

Can anyone give any advice on why this is happening and what i can do to resolve it?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

Most people sit at a desk all day and come home and sit in front of the TV or computer. That's a lot of sitting and if you've been doing that for some years, it'll take more than 3-4 weeks to rectify it. Keep up with the glute work and don't rush back into running. Try run/walk sessions to begin with rather than going straight out and doing 3 miles. I know it's frustrating - having been injured recently I am in the same boat. One thing I found very helpful is yoga. The local Bikram studio had an offer on so I signed up and found the various poses were effective at targeting my weaknesses.