Options

what race pack/vest to choose on a budget

I am looking to buy a pack for a upcoming mountin marathon (NOT a ultra I know) but need something that can carry my compulsory kit and some hydration . I love the Salomon and ult direction packs but they R just so out my budget . Some ppl have reccomended the kalenji trail pack anyone ever used this ? It looks good but is it to cheap ? Help plz ... I live nowhere near a decathlon stockist so can't try it on ....

Comments

• Options
    I have an OMM bumbag. At 6l capacity it is just big enough for basic mandatory kit and water.

I've also just managed to get a used Nathan race vest half price on a Facebook selling page.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've used a decathlon one for a 50 mile and 50k run last year with no issues.
  • Options

I have recently purchased the decathlon (Quechua) one - £26 (bought in France in euros) - used it for a 2 hour training run at the weekend and it was fab! image

• Options
    I also looked at the Quechua one the 0-10ltr one and looked good and comfy but the kalenji one as its got slightly more storage space just wondered as it was sooo cheap did this affect quality but so far iv heard only good things
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My original Kalenji one is now into its 3rd year and wouldn't say it's up there with the quality of one 4 times the price but I doubt they'd last 4 times as long.
  • Options
    Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Decathlon kit is generally very good value - go for it! But on ultras I've found the combination of a bum bag, so I can get to stuff without stopping, and a small hydration pack on my back has worked best for me. Worth thinking about.

• Options

The decathlon one has little hip pockets for gels and stuff that you can get to without stopping.

• Options

By the way I am in no way affiliated with the Decathlon/Quechua brand, but I do really like their kit! image

• Options

Another fan of the Decathlon/Kalenji/Quechua ones. They have a variety of sizes, and they're well designed. I've been using mine (mid-sized) for years, I especially like the front pockets for holding odds and ends. I'd ditch the water bladder they're supplied with though, and get a camelbak one. The hose is much too long and tends to kink inside the bag, cutting off the supply, but the mouthpiece is fixed to the end so you can't cut it short like you can with the camelbak one.

• Options
    I ordered the kalenji one 9-14 ltr trail pack tonight and will look at the bladder when it comes and see if I see the problem you have described . Yeah the quality prob won't be there but as I will only be using it once twice a month I think it looks a v good investment for me image just need to get it and train in it now . 26 mile is 20 mile more in a race than iv ran before especially up in the fells but can't wait