Options

Chicago Marathon 2015

Been told Chicago is a great marathon - can anyone advise when ballot opens and anything else to start planning - if don't get a ballot place any advice on other means to run (eg international travel partner companies etc)

Many thanks

Comments

• Options

Ballot open in March as is guaranteed entry method - i am planning this one as my 4th major - done Berlin, London and Boston so far - anyone done the guaranteed entry route before - do they have a limit for the number of qualifiers they will allow in?

• Options

No limit on qualifiers, can always try one of the tour companies as a back stop. One of my all time favourite races and one of the best supported races ever. Entertainment at every mile with beer at the finish. Sorted. Enjoy

• Options

already booked the Travelodge right on Grant park so should be able to fall out of bed to the start/finish area. Just need the flights and then wait for the entry bit image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I can qualify on time for 2015 (from my spring 2013 marathon time)...however, I'm recovering from a bad ankle fracture/dislocation and dont know if I'll be ready by October. Does anyone know if you can defer your entry (if accepted) to 2016? I understand this usually means having to pay again the next year.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else put their name down in the ballot or qualifying for this? I got my acceptance a few weeks back for the automatic qualifying and have now booked flights and hotel so all ready to go. Changed hotel to Hotel Rush which was cheaper and looked better. First marathon in the States that i have been allowed to go alone (no wife or kids) - flying out Friday from Manchester on a day flight and then night flight home on the Sunday night so hopefully i will sleep on the flight straight after running - at least that's the plan. Need a sub 3 after missing out again by 2 minutes at London yesterday. Is the course as fast as Berlin? 

• Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

I entered the ballot.

Think results are tomorrow throughout the day so should know soon.

Got this crazy idea of doing the Majors, but Boston qualification will be a long way off and a lot of hard work.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

I have the same idea about the majors - loved the wall at VLM expo with a list of every person who has run a major marathon and saw how few have done all 6 - no doubt because Tokyo is so new to the list - i have done 3 so far (lucky to have done Boston so got the hard one out of the way) - so over the next few years would like to tick off the rest. Stated watching videos of the route on Youtube and it looks plum flat, wide and smooth - could be a fast race if training goes ok. 

Good luck in the ballot.

• Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

I've done New York and London.

To be honest still feeling battered after London and the though of getting back into training for another marathon at the moment has me uncrossing my fingers for the Chicago ballet image

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

I'd like to run Chicago, as would my brother & sister in-law.  Chicago might even persuade Mrs Chri5 to try her first marathon...

However, from looking around, the only way we'd all be sure to get in would be via the international tour programme (there would be a very grumpy runner if only 2 people got through the ballot!).  Flight + entry is £1199, which makes the flight look a bit steep when hotel only section lists the race fee as £290 (ouch again).

• Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    Well sooner than expected I've got my 'you have been successful' email.

Not sure I'm feeling lucky as I am feeling battered after London. I feel worse today than yesterday.
  • Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    Chri5B,

I did New York on flights and entry only and then booked same hotel as tour company for half the price. All I lost that way was the transfers.

Bit of research needed for Chicago for me with a ballot place...
  • Options

I got in, did New York last year and loved it so high hopes for this one. Just need to sort out flights and accommodation now, although first check on flights it seems quite expensive.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Well done on getting in - I booked flights for ??500 and I have a couple of hotels booked being honest - did them a while ago - I have a room at the travelodge on grant park that may be available that was cheap that I will not use now - going with hotel rush now. Let me check my Booking account. I expect a few will be available for those who where unsuccessful cancelling rooms
  • Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i have a few in fact - i have another room booked at Hotel Rush that i do not need now as the wife and kids aren't coming. I also have a room at the travelodge and a room at Monaco Chicago. I am sure i can change the names on the bookings over.

All are 9th to the 13th (should be able to alter these) and range from $758 to $916 dollars - and all are family rooms.

I have flights from Manchester on Friday 9th - returning sunday night on the 11th - £510 - thought coming back the night of the race will make it easier to sleep on a night flight.

Hotel Rush - $400 for the two nights

Trains and buses around the town and from the airport seem really cheap.

Just completed my Esta form so i can get in the country image

• Options
    Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Super Moo - thanks for the info. 

It seems flying direct Virgin from LHR to Chicago is a lot more expensive than a one-stop out of Manchester (which would save us trundling down to London).  £815 return with Virgin, whereas as KLM via Amsterdam is around £625 (even cheaper if you go via Dublin or Paris).

We'd want to go for a week, so look to get an apartment.  We've just done that in Budapest for the half marathon and it worked out as £12 each a night.  Bargain, though I'd expect it to be more like £90 each a night in Chicago.

• Options
    Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

Flights now booked.  Managed to get direct flights with BA for £500 each.

I'm going out on the Wednesday for a bit of sight seeing and returning late on the Monday.

Now for the hotel.

• Options

Flights booked out Thursday back Monday with BA, will be going solo on this one. I have been to Chicago before it is a great city, very much looking forward to running along those wide streets.

• Options

I am doing Chicago. How is training going for people? Excited to do my first US marathon!

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

training ok - did the hilly potteries marathon on sunday dressed in a minion mascot costume as a bet to my 9 year old - and funnily enough i may have set a world record of Fastest Marathon as a Minion Maascot - 4h 13m - sent of application to GWR. 

Went for a easy 5 miles last night and legs ok still - now going to start ramping it up seriously now got that daft one out of the way.

• Options

Brilliant! I'm doing the bacchus marathon as a long run in Sept., but not sure how early I'll submit to the wine at the drinks stations....

• Options

How is everyone getting on? The mileage is starting to crank up now, first 20 miler today averaged 8:53. 

I have been following a sub 3hr 30 training plan and am just about hanging in there, with each week getting closer to the taper!

• Options

Was knackered last week, but coping now. Did 20 miles today too, 9:21 average. Counting down the number of long runs! I'm aiming for sub-3:50. 

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭
    Did potteries marathon in July in minion mascot costume in 4.13 - good fun - done a few 20+ milers avg 7.30m per mile - struggling with sore ankle ligaments though bit worrying as cannot get it to heal
  • Options

My ability to do a long run has deserted me.  Don't know if it is the heat or what at the moment. 

Starting to get concerned.

Only my 4th marathon and my first was Brighton 2014 so wondering if I have over reached with this one.

• Options
    andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i think the humid weather is making it difficult atm - i usually do 3 a year so know whats its like to have one after another but sometimes you just have to rely on muscle memory rather than solid training - some races i take it easy between them and rely on the mental side to get me through - keep on trying Moo image

• Options

In amongst a training plan there will always be a few runs that go badly, do not under estimate the heat.

I always budget for at least one long run which will result in me sitting on the curb of a road just swearing to myself.

This will be number 10 for me, my times vary from 6hrs (Medoc) to 3hrs 50 (Malta), I know 3hrs 30 is beyond me but if I could get an improvement on 3hrs 50 I would be happy.

• Options

Second 20 of the training plan scheduled for tomorrow, after that I have a 22 miler and one more 20 and then it is taper. 

Saturday nights are now pasta and washed down with a nuun hydration drink.

How is everyone else getting on?

• Options

I can't believe there are 5 weeks to go , I hope everyone's training is going well as we enter the last few weeks before the taper. 

This will be my fifth major and second major this year , I ran in Tokyo in February , I need to find 16 mins to get a BQ , I don't think I quite in that form , I am currently working in The Czech Republic ,it's been a very warm summer , so I haven't always hit the targets in the long runs , but I was pleased to run a decent 20 miler today.

Good luck with the remaining long runs . 

• Options

20 miles done, glad I got it out of the way early as it has warmed up here this afternoon. Aim was first 10 at 9 min mile pace second 10 at 8 min mile pace. Managed about 8 of the last 10 at just under 8 min mile pace and then fell away to around 8:20, more than happy with that as the average came out at 8:30 overall which is a lot quicker than I have ever gone before.

• Options

Manged to get my second 20 miler done last weekend out of three making up for one I aborted at 18.5 so was feeling much happier.

However Chippenham half yseterday went bad after mile 10 so confidence knocked again. 

I have realised I don't actually like running. 

On a happier note where is everyone staying?

I've managed to get a room in the Chicago Athletics Association opposite Millennium park so should be a short journey to the start.