Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Dean I know someone who raced and he's definitely in 8.45 shape but did 9.18 he thought all times about 30 secs out and confirmed the wind was horrendous!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

The winner at Shinfield probably didn't set a PB time, but he finished 1st with minimum effort. Dean complained he had a slow 1500 but still finished 3rd.

~cough~ i finished 1st winning by over 15 secs in that 1500m image 

Rob, i agree it was brutal and worth about 30 secs. i heard callum hawkins was looking for sub 8, went thru first km in 2.40 so bang on then "fell away" to "only" bring in a 8.25.  this is a chap who is a 28 something 10k.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Iron, i think "Minimum effort" is a little overexaggeration there.

But, obviously Dachs, I agree with your 2nd place comment. Anything faster than i can do, i designate as fast! In fact, the stuff i was doing between autumn 2012 and spring 2013 i class as fast these days too image

• Options
    DeanR7 wrote (see)
    IronCat5 wrote (see)

The winner at Shinfield probably didn't set a PB time, but he finished 1st with minimum effort. Dean complained he had a slow 1500 but still finished 3rd.

~cough~ i finished 1st winning by over 15 secs in that 1500m image 

Dammit! I read back thinking you'd won it but could only find reference to being in 3rd place. Sorry. image. It proves the point even more though image

You know what I mean SG!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Interesting session today! Started off in a downpour and gales, then gales and sunshine once I was soaked through to the skin! Most unpleasant waiting for the bloody GPS to get a signal!

Anyway, didn't fancy long reps on an exposed track, so ended up doing 6 x 400 off 200m jog rec, followed by 2 x 200m off 200m jog. The latter was just a tester really as I haven't done 200s for ages - last time I walked away injured! This time the adductor was protesting after, but seems OK now...

Times just about acceptable in the wind (except the first rep!). Came out as:

1:26, 1:22, 1:22, 1:21, 1:21, 1:20, 37, 36

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

little tickler for you there Bus, light and breezy.

funny old game weather isn't it. Got away with fairly still on the track for the main session, yet was fairly blustery indeed in the second part of the cool down mile.

Little 4mile easy run at lunch was wet and nasty.

forgot to say that the recoveries were just a minute on the session today. Whereas a couple of weeks ago it was a rep less, with 90secs.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Quite sobering that if I could keep the faster of the two 200m paces up for 26.2miles I would still be way over WR time!

On the plus side, with a bit of extra training and a decent warm up I could lead most of the major marathons in the world for the first 200m image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Samir did give everyone a chuckle at Reading last year leading for half a mile.

Of course, if he'd tried it this year at Reading, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as euphoric, as was a non descript opener, with no supporters anywhere!

• Options

AG - fantastic report and congratulations on the sub 3. Think I am a few mins off that for this year, but chasing the illusive so very beneficial to read how others did it!! 

Speaking there of... sorry for the delayed congratulations but Lit, well done again! Phenomenal time, and another PB. Great for your club too - and you all must be very pleased. 

Stevie See/Dachs/everyone - how much of a nightmare is this wind eh?! I wish it would do one. Seems never ending at the moment and I don't think the weather quite appreciates how much harder it makes for us all!

Glad to read everyone still training hard and getting in the sessions. Always a lurker!! image

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Hill session for me this morning.

Google map and Garmin made the hill 300 yards long. Settled for 18 ascents to make 3 miles worth of 'ups'. Average time 69 seconds. Wu/wd made for 10 miles.

Just run another 8 miles as recovery @sub 8's. Not tired.

The base mileage of the winter is doing the biz.

🙂

• Options

So 30mins at very low HR at lunch. Was pretty tough to even move forward uphill in to wind at one point. Thought I'd managed to dodge the rain but got soaked. Ho-hum.

I hear you Bus, about your 200m times and the WR. I worked out that AG's mara time is pretty much 4.2 times my 10k time image

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Nikki G wrote (see)

Speaking there of... sorry for the delayed congratulations but Lit, well done again! Phenomenal time, and another PB. Great for your club too - and you all must be very pleased.

Thanks Nikki! Yes, we're all feeling very pleased with ourselves as we're total medal whores, but slightly annoying that B&W's second scorer used to be one of us till she moved down south!

• Options

Sorry - forgot to say hello to Nikki! image

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Nikki, good to see you still going strong.

Good running all in those atrocious conditions. I went out for a sandwich and ce back looking like I'd been dunked in a pond for practicing witchcraft.

Wind had abated a little by the time of my track session, but it was still strong enough to not bother timing the reps. Kept volume low and recoveries generous given I'm racing again in Sunday. 10 x 400 at probably a smidgen slower than mile pace. Will help me get five sharp again.
  • Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭

Dean, I feel your pain. I looked at the results and as you say, some shockingly slow (relatively) times. I wouldn't have finished any race had I opted to do Trafford. But like I said to a young lad at my club, if you get a heat or champ race in the wind, think of the mental advantage you'll have. Your Po10 will be looking its normal self by August.

SG - nice reps in that wind. You managed to hit my paces for me!

Did 9 miles easy tonight but came out very slow at around 8min/mile. Felt a bit jaded and didn't feel like pushing it. Taper starts now, shorter easy one tomorrow, F-OFF then an easy one Saturday. Just hope this wind f***s off before Sunday.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

All need to five sharp for Sunday!

Oh no, I've just lost a CR to james woodhead! Looking at his profile he has a best 1 M of 3:42 and a best 10k of 26 mins! Bike anyone??

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

remind me again what the point is of holding records on obscure stretches of road that possibly noone else has ever tried to run hard on? image

8miles done. this stitchy/intercostal muscle job, but tend to almost forget it the longer the run goes on. Nothing more until saturday now. Hopefully icing, pills, stretching and rest see it off for final.

• Options

'Get five sharp' - does that mean sharp for a 5 miler, Marlow was it Dachs?

Yes another one here battling the elements last night! Well as we were getting ready for the 3000 it was raining and bloody windy (of course!)..the aim with the post football stuff and crap weather was to stick to 75's and come in at around 9.20.

First 5 laps were spot on and then the rain really started to come down, bouncing off the track stylee..so the seconds started to slip and was 8.08 at the bell, so had to out a bit of a spurt on to come in at 9.19. Decent warm up considering I have been asked to a BAL 3000m at Eton at the weekend - 'Operation don't get lapped'image

Did the 800 in a 200/200/400/800 relay at the end, but couldn't make up the 60m lead and came in 2nd - calfs cramping up on the 1st lap. Downside of the night is my Ipod had gone walkies for the 4th time, hopefully its in the MK clubhouse...

Lets all pray for this bloody wind to sod off!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

simon - im sure there are at least 20 secs to come off that time, but considering the elements that sounds like a good race.  personally im done with crap conditions , i want nice calm conditions from now on..it feels more like xc than track at the moment

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Indeed - very decent time in those conditions Simon!

SG - don't knock it 'til you've tried it! Not everything in life has a point, but it does add a bit of fun and competition to some otherwise dull-as-dishwater training routes image. I've run harder on some segments to take a (pointless) CR that I would otherwise have just cruised on.  Make sure you shake off that niggle by Sunday!!

Ten miler for me later (probably) then f-off, easy strides Saturday and race Sunday.

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Simon - good 3000 in the conditions, only 4s behind my actual PB, and at least 9:19 is sub 5 minute miling.

'Five-sharp' was a predictive text error I made when posting on my phone once - I think it was supposed to be 'race sharp', but it kind of caught on here and it's been used a few times since in jest.  But it is actually appropriate, as it is the Marlow 5 at the weekend.

Bus - either that's a bike, or it's the name Kenenisa Bekele uses on Strava.

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Bus - I lost one the other day and it was a guy who did 43 miles at 6mm pace. You can flag it and they remove them from the table ????
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Already flagged - one of my favourite hobbies that image. One of the many features that makes Strava a good tool for a grumpy old git!

43 miles at 6mM pace is nothing (if you are Steve Way that is image)

• Options

I like 'Five sharp' Dachs..although I don't think i'm doing one for ages, theres one in Blissworth soon I might do. Predictive text is a right pain, although my mate called me a 'Wan Jet' instead of a w**ker the other day, so of course thats caught on!

Dean - some whole summers are windy, real pain in the arse isn't it. Can't stand it. Ultimately pointless moaning tho, unless I emigrate..

Bus - easy for him isn't it. He doesn't seem to get Lactic acid and he recovers so quickly..

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Perhaps years of smoking form a natural Lactic barrier....

Ickenham 5 on June 7 is supposed to be fast and if on Po10, so may be a suitable Five Sharper!

• Options
    The Bus wrote (see)

Already flagged - one of my favourite hobbies that image. One of the many features that makes Strava a good tool for a grumpy old git!

Yep, anyone faster than me and I flag them.

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Well, just back from an 11.2 M xc. Slow as anything, legs like lead and adductor sore for the last couple of miles - all pants really!

Not sure why recovery seems to be taking so long these days - age I guess! Anyone else in the late 40s noticing the same? Just a couple of years ago, in the same week as this I ran a course PB at Pednor 5 on the Monday, several hilly xc route PBs during the week, 16 miles on the Thursday and then my current 5M pb at Marlow on the Sunday! I can't even imagine having a week like that now without wrecking myself.

It's odd, as race times have remained reasonably consistent over the same time - some have even improved.

• Options

Windy 10mi TT tonight. Overcooked it this week, but definitely 5-sharp for Sunday (didn't we have a discussion about 5-Star last time). 2hrs on the bike easy tomorrow then running with daughter at parkrun Saturday.

Bus - sounds like you'll be in fine fettle for the weekend.

Good work Simon.

Stevie G wrote (see)

remind me again what the point is of holding records on obscure stretches of road that possibly noone else has ever tried to run hard on? image

8miles done. this stitchy/intercostal muscle job, but tend to almost forget it the longer the run goes on. Nothing more until saturday now. Hopefully icing, pills, stretching and rest see it off for final.

It's all about the pavement PBs. Re: the intercostal muscle thing, is it constipation? image

• Options

bus, I too see the biggest changes with age is the recovery needed. I used to be able to do track Tuesday and Thursday and race track on Saturday and road on Sunday: now it has to be much less of the big efforts and much more of  easy pace between.