Options

Mr B's First Marathon - Training Log.

Running my first ever marathon on October 4th 2015. No going back now! Will be following 'Shades' marathon training plan, will keep the log updated after each run so I can keep track of my progress and stats ect. Looking for help / advice along the way.

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

First tip: get decent sleep

• Options
    JoesamJoesam ✭✭

Good luck Mr B

• Options
    Good Luck Mr B. I'm not familiar with Shades marathon training plan but I have just done my first marathon so I know what you will be going through!!
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Don't the shades crew usually stay on shades thread to keep it all under the same thread? And to get advice and support from those in the know?

Just seems a bit 'me me me' to set your own up.
  • Options

Well. Firstly, it is me doing the marathon. So its going to look that way VDOT. I also, do not want to clog up the Shades Thread with posts every day about my running. There are many people posting on that thread and everyone deserves to converse on there, and not be bombarded by posts from me on everypage. So i thought i'd contain my training to my own personal training log. For my own review. I am sorry if this somehow offends you. But remember offence is taken, not given. If somehow you draw a negative from me wanting to create a personal training log for my first marathon on a running forum, then perhaps you need to look at yourself, and question what it is about yourself that you do not like. I am also more than happy for you not to click on the thread. Its that old golden nugget of choice we all have. Click on a different thread if you do not wish to look at this one. If you wish to waste your time commenting about something you don't like..feel free, or you could inbox me to elaborate on why you think what I have done is wrong. But I really do not think you have to be so territorial on an open forum.

I did not mean to offend anyone or go on a huge ego trip with 'ooo i have my own thread' .. its merely just so i can contain all my training, ups and downs and the outcome all in one area.

If however, the general consensus by all the members here, is that 'Shades Training' followers all remain in that thread, then i shall delete this thread. I am knew here, and didn't know personal training logs/ diaries were a no no.

Sorry you have been inconvenienced by this thread VDOT. Have a great Sunday.

• Options
    JoesamJoesam ✭✭

Hear, hear Mr B, you carry on. I'm following your thread as I am interested in the way your training progresses and it might help me return to my own training after injury!!

• Options

Thanks Joe. I wish you a speedy recovery mate image

• Options

Warm up LSR - Sunday 31st may

8 Mile LSR

Avg Pace - 11.09 Minute Miles

Real Marathon training starts this week. However, ran on Sunday to practice LSR as i've never ran that slow before. Felt difficult to keep at a slow pace, had to consciously not speed up. Over time got into a rhythm. constantly checking Nike watch for pace got frustrating.  Felt abit of jip in my knees - seems to be more impact running slow..

Starting out Stats:

Current Weight - 12st 10lbs / 81 kgs

Current Height - 5' 11''

Age - 29

Current Weekly Mileage - 20/25 MPW

Current PB's - 5k 20:30 / 10k 46.00 / 10 Miles 1:29:00 / Half Marathon 1:55:08

A Goal - Complete First Marathon - Bournemouth 4th October 2015

B Goal - Get around 4 Hour Finish

C Goal - Enjoy enough to want to continue running

• Options
    MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Nah, carry on Mr B - lots of people have their own thread, nothing wrong with it.

• Options

02/06/2015

Week 1 - Run 1

Distance - 5 miles (Easy)

Pace - 10:45 Avg MPM

Ran 5 Miles today at easy pace. Average 10:45 - 10:50 MPM. I aimed to run at an average of 10:10 minute miles but couldnt get pacing right. Felt slow but enjoyed the run. Barely even broke a sweat which I guess is the aim of these LSRs.

Quads are aching / painful, been over doing the bike riding I think so have to ease up there to focus on running. foam roller in the post so i can roll out these muscles after my long runs..

• Options

03/06/15

Week 1 - Run 2

Distance - 6 miles (Easy)

Pace - 10:41 Avg MPM

Ran 6 miles at easy pace. I thought I was going quicker than yesterday, wanting to run nearer to 10 minute miles than 11, but it turns out it was pretty much the same speed as yesterday. My sports watch was reading 10:20ish for alot of the run, but fluctuating regularly obviously. need to speed up. felt easy, as its supposed to, no heavy breathing or even breaking a sweat. 

received yoga massage roller in the post today. ironed out me legs good and proper before and after the run. feels good, in a sadomasochistic way. no pain no gain.

looking forward to 2morros Tempo run where I can run faster... 10k - Half marathon pace.. will probably run 7:30-8:00 minute miles..

received confirmation today of Bournemouth Marathon, so no going back now. I put finish target for 3:59:59 .. would be great to get it. Or better it even.

• Options

Hello I am running Chester on the 4th October I hope you training goes well  can I ask what plan you are using I like the ideas of the LSR ? 

• Options

Hi Karen. Good Luck running Chester. image

I am following 'Shades' training plan on here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/training/shades-marathon-training/72631-3450.html

Just send her a message on that thread with your email address, or private message it, and she will send you the plans.

04/06/15

Week 1 - Run 3

Distance - 5 Miles (Tempo)

Pace - 10.45 Easy / 7.00 10k/hm pace

Ran my first Tempo run. Was really looking forward to running with some pace after running, LSRs for a while. The first mile was a nice steady warm up, however, when I set out to run my 10k/hm pace I was running too fast, I felt good, but ran around 6.55/7.00 mpm pace. I should of been more around the 7:30 pace.. as I dont think i'd of been able to continue for a HM at that pace. So next tempo run shall be easier when it picks up. Apart from that I felt good, left calve feeling abit sore in one spot, but ironed it out with the roller which helped. 2 days rest before 10 mile LSR on Sunday.

• Options

08/06/15

Week 1 - Run 4

Distance - 10 Miles

Duration - 1:54:17

Pace - 11' 54'' avg

Did my LSR today. It should really of been yesterday. I was so tired, had a few too many beers over the weekend, and 15 inch takeaway pizza ect. Not ideal really. Need to sort of diet and lay off the alcohol now until August when I go to a festival.

I will have a rest day tomorrow instead now, and move the rest of my training forward a day, and have 1 days rest instead of two before my LSR on Sunday. It is an Easy run on Thursday of only 5 miles so i'll be fine with only a days recovery.

Todays run was great, discovered an off road trail near Browndown Army Training ground on the beach front which was great for running along. my knees started giving me jip around mile 8-9.. due to not having too many long runs done on them. distance wise i'm running what ive already ran in the past, however, running slower.. means longer on the legs.. not too used to that. I dont have good knees anyway. will see what exercises i can do to keep them suple as they felt like they tightened up abit and swelled somewhat.
     rest day 2morro. then start of week 2's running. 17 weeks to go...

• Options

Well done I did  a lovely 8 miles on  Sunday I ran at 9.12 mm I can't seem to slow down as this is my usual pace for all my runs but as the miles increase I know I have to learn to run slow ????

• Options
    Yep.. its not about the miles increasing, its about building your aerobic system.. rather than anaerobic i believe.. which in turn improves your lactate threshold, and trains your body to burn fat as an energy.. when your glycogen depletes.. not 100% sure that is correct... but it sounds good! Recommened reading a book or two on it.. but yes.. the more you train slow and keep ure heart rate down..means the quicker you will be able to be, and your fitness will improve and endurance at a faster pace.. so slowly wins the race! Its hard to run really slow i kno.. post in the Shades thread.. im still very new to it all.. post your current times and shades will let you know what pace you need to be running at.. apologies if any of my info is incorrect
  • Options

10/06/15

Week 2 - Run 1

Distance -  5 Miles (Tempo)

Duration - 40.58

Pace - 7"15' avg Tempo Pace / 9"30' Easy Pace

Went off too quick on tempo part of the training run. was overly hot running down the beach, should of slowed down , but too stubborn.. just felt abit tired running. left calf abit sore.. need to slow to 7:30 tempo pace. Nike watch doesnt offer great feedback for pace change, it takes a while to change.. so no good for fartlek / interval sessions really. fine for me for the moment though.

nice easy 7 mile run tomorrow

• Options

Well done lovely 10 miler for me this morning tried to go slower very warm enjoyed it !

• Options

well done. feels great to enjoy a 10 miler doesnt it. keep it going Karen. I read a quote from a runner once saying, it's always best to finish a run knowing you could of continued, and wanting to carry on.. than completely burnt out and shattered... you then finish on a positive high wanting more.. so get back out there again faster.. you recover quicker from a LSR also. image

anyway...

11/06/15

Week 2 - Run 2

Distance -  7 Miles (Easy)

Duration - 1:12:11

Pace - 10''15' Easy Pace

felt good today, 7 miles at an easy pace. need to change nike watch feedback really as the stats come back incorrect. my pace doesnt alter quick enough.. might be time to invest in a garmin at some point.

• Options

Easy runs 10:10 to 10:40 min/miles
    Long runs 10:10 to 11:10 min/miles
    Tempo pace 8:20 to 8:40 min/miles

Marathon pace 9:10 min/miles

The Paces that I have been given to stick too...

• Options

12/06/15

week 2 - Run 3

Distance - 0.5 Mile (Easy)

Duration - 6.47

Pace - 12" 41

Should of been an Easy 5 mile run. I had a banging headache and every step hurt more and more. think i was dehydrated and tired. had to cut the run short unfortunately.

• Options

15/ 06 / 15

Week 2 - Run 4

Distance - 10 Miles (LSR)

Duration - 1:42:54

Pace - 10" 15'

Ran my Long slow run on Monday 15th. It should of been on Sunday 14th. I was tired on Sunday so moved it to Monday. Need to stop doing that, as it pushes the rest of my next weeks runs a day forward, and I then only have one days rest before my LSR on Sunday instead of usual 2 days, if i wish to catch up to the right weeks training.

Not only that, I mis-judged how long the LSR would take. when I worked out I wouldnt have time to do it before work I flipped out.. I had to cut my LSR to a 10 miler, not only that I had to run it at a faster pace than ideal. more easy pace than long and slow. was going to give up and not run however, and felt great that I had in the end. craving another run now so alls good.

• Options

17/ 06 / 15

week 3 - Run 1

Distance - 4 Miles (Easy)

Duration - 41.31

Pace - 10" 20

Good run.. felt good and well paced throughout. was abit short but im sure it was for a good reason. 8 miler today

• Options

18 / 06 / 15

Week 3 - run 2

Distance - 8 Miles (Easy)

Duration - 1:28:04

pace - 11"20' avg

Did a good run, felt good throughout, knees felt abit tight in the final mile. i actually ran at my LSR pace, and should of been easy run pace.. i dont think this is detrimental as a one off, it wasnt purposeful.. my nike running watch isnt great with paces ive found, and i only really know my pace after a mile marker..

• Options

19 / 06 / 15

Week 3 - Run 3

Distance - 5 Miles (Tempo)

Duration - 40:49

Pace - 9"35' Easy / 7:10 Harder

Felt good.. weather was a scorcher so sweating profusely.. ran the faster 3 mile section too fast again.. 7:00-7:10 pace... need to add 30 seconds really, as it is 10k - HM pace, and altho I could hold it for 10k , I doubt I could run 7:00 minute miling for a HM... but who knows.. either way it felt good to run with some pace.. LSRs are all good for chilling with a podcast and bobbing along, but running hard and fast is where I feel at my best.. enjoying my training! ... days rest as unfortuantely I am a day out.. so instead of 2 days rest i only get 1 before my 14 miler on sunday. determined to get that in! so i have a full 2 days rest next week before my long run... no aches or pains.. well, maybe 1 ... the fact i now have to get ready for work...

• Options

Well done good running I had a great week last week clocked 30 miles and got myself a new Park Run PB knocked a min off  I was well chuffed.Due to my shift pattern at work were I have too work a 7 day straight every other week I can only run three times so I plan to always get a 10m 7m 4m then make my mileage up the other two weeks when I have three days off hoping to run 12 mile today as I have Hardrians Wall Half next weekend.

• Options

thanks Karen, the shades training will suit you perfectly as they are based on busy lives, she has two plans.. one with 3 days a week and one with 4 .. im following the 4 day as i do not have commitments image

how did your 12 miler go? and Hadrians wall half sounds amazing.. do they do a full marathon aswell?

21 / 06 / 15

week 3 - Run 4

Distance - 14 Miles (LSR)

Duration - 02:29:52

Pace - 10" 40' avg

Ran 14 Miles today, got my sunday run in properly today for a change rather than having to move it too monday, so set up to follow my plan properly next week and get my 2 days rest i will need before next sundays run. i felt good today and well paced. took new running belt with water bottles.. hmmm.. they do leak slightly which is a shame.. but great to have them, felt very thirsty so was dehydrated i think.. around mile 10-11 my knees and legs started to ache abit.. and legs felt abit tired towards the end.. but its 14 miles and jogging for 2 and a 1/2 hours.. so they are going to start feeling that way i guess.. was ravenous when i got home! ... good run... nice rest day 2morro.

training going well image

• Options

Well done on your 14 miler my 12 started off very wet and windy for first half then the sun came out I ran to my HR trying to stay below 150bpm overall 9.55 mm total 1:59 still a bit to fast me thinks. I am looking forward to the half next week it's a challenging route only 4 miles on road  the rest trail and hills just using it as a training run. I do not think there is a full just the half you get a fab technical teeshirt that's the only reason I am taking part image 

Keep up the good training image