Options

Can you wash Salomon Techamphibian shoes in washing machine?

I've got a pair of Salomon Techamphibian shoes that I've taken trail running, hiking and traveling and have become quite smelly. (here's an image for reference)

Does anyone know if I can just toss these in the washing machine to clean? I've gone the hose and soapy water method, but they still end up smelling not so great afterwards, so wondering if this is an option. 

Thanks for any tips!

Comments

• Options

No, don't wash them in the machine, they won't enjoy it. You could also try giving them a bit of a scrub in a bucket of warm water after hosing the worst off, using suitable soap (do you have any techwash kicking about?). Remember to rinse them thoroughly and let them drain for a few minutes. Remember to take the insoles out prior to washing (wash them too).

After washing, stuff them with newspaper (balled-up), three or four pieces per shoe should do it. Change the paper after eight hours or so (or the next day), as it will be pretty saturated. The second lot of paper will more or less finish the job.

Don't put them in the washing machine. Don't put them on a radiator/in the oven or otherwise force dry them. The newspaper will get them nice and dry. Don't put the insoles back in until both they and the shoes are dry.

• Options

As above really - remove insoles, rinse, drain, stuff with paper to dry, do not apply direct heat.

I would add that if you have a warm airing cupboard then that should be ok for speeding up drying a little - as long as you are not placing the shoes directly on a heater/radiator.

Rinsing soon after wet/dirty runs is usually sufficient to prevent smelly shoes, but once smelly bacteria gets in you may need something stronger to kill them off - I find that a blast with something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Odor-eaters-Sport-Foot-Shoe-Spray/dp/B003S3LE06 - after cleaning usually does the trick.

• Options

Yes !!!

Washed mine almost weekly during summer as they get a bit smelly - low temp and short wash - no problems image

• Options

I must admit, though I don't put my trainers in the washing machine, preferreing a brush and water solution, I HAVE regularly put them on the radiator and it has done no harm so far as I can see.

• Options

A friend of mine puts his stinky shoes in the freezer for 24 hours- he is adamant it kills off the smell!

• Options

plods, I do hope that he lives alone!

• Options

Phew- though if he didn't, he soon might, if he kept that up image