Options

Bristol to Bath Marathon 2015

15678911»

Comments

• Options

I think total elevation stats usually mean the total upwards, Bev, but can't be 100% sure. Whatever it was, it was tough but we nailed it image

Here's to a swift and steady recovery all, and we can all get started on our next campaigns!

• Options

Elevation wise I had about 1450ft up – and you know what didn’t it ever feel like it.  Initially after I finished I don’t think I’ve ever felt so exhausted after a race … and for the first time I was thinking “never, ever again” and that notion applied to not only Bristol to Bath but marathon distance in its entirety.  However … two days after the event … I still won’t return to Bristol to Bath but I will carry on running marathons.  London next … and after the course profile on Sunday it should be a doddle.

However the desire not to return to Bristol to Bath is nothing personal against the race.  It’s fuelled purely by how hard it was.  I am beyond proud to have gone sub 4 for the first time and for it to be on that course … and I am extremely glad I chose that race and as with the rest of you got through it. As it had never been ran before there was an air of the unknown about the whole thing … I couldn’t quite work out beforehand just how bad the hills were going to feel … next year there won’t be as much uncertainty and there will be amply documented tales of woe and stories of just how tough it was.  Wasn’t it great to have been there for the very first one though? Chatting with friends and colleagues I’ve loved describing how, personally, I found the hills soul destroying.

Have to echo the comments here though.  I was astounded by the support.  I never usually take my Ipod on race day as I like to soak up the atmosphere but I had planned to for this one with the assumption that support would be sparse – and then duly forgot to take it with me to the start.  But I’m glad I forgot it.  There were stretches where support disappeared but you get that with every race but I lost count of the stretches where the support was stunningly good.  There was one point towards the end where I felt like the crowds were within touching distance on each side!! It was amazing.  And for some of the hills having that support and the “come on you’re almost at the top” and “come on, it’s the last hill” (which was often an outright lie)  it really did help.  So for me, big shout out to the organisers and to every last person who came out and supported the race.  I would do it again in a heartbeat if I was brave enough. 

Loved the medal and I even picked up what I think was a ‘peach black tea’ drink at the finish.  I hate peach and I hate black tea – but I can safely say that was the best thing I have tasted!!!!

Would love to keep on hearing other stories of the big day!!! I'm always a big emotional moron when it comes to races and like revisiting them and hearing about others experiences image

• Options

I really enjoyed it, despite the last 6 miles being very painful...

I entered this as an end of season race as a load of club mates had also signed up and I got roped in. I also figured I'd be run-fit enough to just rock up and race 4 weeks after Ironman Mallorca. My longest run in training was only just over 15miles, and I only managed 3 runs after the Ironman, so came into it slightly under-prepared. Only done on stand-alone marathon before in Dublin back in 2008 where I went out way too fast and died at the end, so was determined not to make same mistake again and run to an even pace.

I decided I'd try my luck with the 3.30 pace setters (only 8minute miles - how difficult can it be) and positioned myself just behind them soon after the start. Kept with them fairly easily for the first 16-17 miles (including up Conham Hill which wasn't as bad as I was expecting) until we got to Bitton. They broke away from me up the short climb to the railway station but I kept them pegged at about the same gap (about 45seconds) until Kelston.

Now, I''ve cycled that hill many times and never given it a second thought. Of course, that's on a bike - not on your legs and certainly not 19miles into a marathon... It just seemed to go on forever and by then my quads were tightening up nicely. I'd say I ran up the hill, but in reality it was more of a shuffle although I did at least manage to resist the urge to walk.

From then on in, the downs hurt as much as the ups as my quads just didn't want to do any work. All I wanted was some flat road to get a rhythm going again and try to stretch my legs out, but it seemed it was all lumpy right to the end. Saw the wife and kids at the top of Victoria Park which gave me a bit of a boost to the finish.

Came in at 3.37 (and second home from the club) which is only 8mins off my Dublin time. Given the hills and my relative lack of preparation, I was pretty pleased with that. 1.43 for the first half was maybe a tad too quick, but I still reckon I paced it about right - as not sure going any slower at the start would have made the hills any easier at the end.

Was expecting a fairly dull and un-inspiring course to be frank, but it was actually quite ok and I was amazed at how well supported it was all the way around. I think the good weather certainly helped, but as a local I'm very proud at how the residents in both Bristol and Bath got behind the race and came out to lend support.

Yes it hurt a lot towards the end, but I quite like the fact it's now going to be known as a 'tough' city marathon and being local and having done No.1, I kind of feel obliged to carry on. So already pre-registered for next year and hopefully some longer runs and more hill work and I can crack 3.30 next time.

• Options

i have ran many ultra races this year.........including a 105 miler in the lake district with over 22000 ft of climbing

and i swear my quads hurt more after this race than they have after any other this year....i blame the fact it was on road when i have trained offroad

• Options

My garmin says elevation was 1250ft of climb, which given other races I've done feels about right. I got a 2 min PB (3.09.50) and loved it. I agree that the support at each city was great, and in the villages between made a real difference. I do a fair chunk of my training over hills so my quads seem to have suffered less than a few others (the DOMS does go away - honest!).

This isn't the best value race out there and for that reason alone I might not do it again, but I would recommend it as an enjoyable run for anyone looking for a challenging city marathon.

• Options

As widely advertised I wasn't feeling the best going into this and didn't make the decision to do the whole thing until sunday morning. What swung it for me was the excitement of being in the hotel with start line right outside the bedroom window on Sunday morning and a aspirin high that had me feeling a little more bouncy than I had been. Also I knew there was a car in the city and I could bail out once back in Bristol City centre after running the portway If needed.  I thought the start in the 4:30 pen was really clean and suspect that was the same throughout The pens.

my only indication that my initial euphoria and speedy exit from the blocks may have been a bit premature was a feeling of bloatedness at about 10miles which was compounded by trying one of their free energy drinks. I have to learn that Gels and these drinks go through me like a rocket and the race became a game of how quick my legs could get me to the next loo whilst they screamed in anger at me To stop! I had covered most eventualities in my head but running over four hours in this state had not occurred to me.

i did really enjoy the race however and the support was great but honestly I couldn't have cared less at 22 miles and the thought of doing anything longer ever again might take a while to return- also why didn't they have space blankets at the end? I was freezing within minutes and looking back at the photos I'm quite shocked a marshal didn't say something!

There was great support from other runners as well esp when I found it hard to move anymore! My only gripe was just because your running a race doesn't stop throwing water bottles as hard as you can over and into hedges being littering- although  this happens in most races from what I've seen. 

All in all I learnt loads about pacing (I agree with an earlier poster though that although I went off too quick it wouldn't have changed a thing with the hills in bath), don't run outside your comfort zone with a head cold (although I AM glad I did) and makIng sure you have a target because I don't think I would have finished without the determination to get under 4:30 (I missed by 59 secs!) 

well done all. My next challenge is the slightly shorter but just as hilly buff winter trail half at coed y brenin in jan. I ran the course as prep for the b2b and it is excellent so maybe I will see some of  you there.

thanks for all your lsupport in the lead up to this race. It has been invaluable.

Ian

• Options
    Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

Interesting point about the litter. Don't know if anyone else saw her but a few miles outside Bath there was a young woman with a pram swearing quite loudly about the litter and how disgusting we all were. This was quite a way from a feeding station. Does anyone know if the entry fee covers the costs of cleaning up the whole route afterwards?

• Options

At £50 a go i would imagine it would cover clearing up the whole of south east england  image

but yes the littering was terrible.i picked up some skittles in a little paper cup.it was very easy to ask someone watching if they could put it in a buin for me........

and also the throwing of bottles at the drinks stations to try and get them in the bins..I almost got hit a few times.why not just move back to the edge and drop it in the bin.....

In triathlon littering is a disqualification if caught ,... and i dont see it on ultras.....made me remmeber what i dislike about these big organised race where people can carry a full gel for miles but cannot manage to carry the empty wrapper

• Options
    I saw someone throw a bottle so deep and hard into a bush I don't care how many people they employ to clean up they ain't getting it.

Instant disqualification is the answer.
  • Options
    Completely agree about the litter, although I've run along the Portway the day after the Bristol half and the 10k and the only signs there's been a race are the mile marks on the road. Am sure they have to do a clear up and they seem to do it pretty well. Still no need to chuck bottles into the middle of a bush!

Would have been helpful to have more bins further after the water stations - they all came a bit quick which either means chucking away half a bottle of water, or (at least for the first 20 miles) keeping hold of it for a few miles until you can find a bin or get to the next station. After 20 miles all my morals go out the window and I happily dump empty bottle at the side of the road!!
  • Options

having bins further along will not help when people have the mentality that carrying an empty bottle for a few hundred metres is going to affect their time so much that they would prefer to litter the countryside......

• Options

Having done a good number of Halfs (including Bath and Bristol), thought this would be the one for me to do the full 26.2.  After all, I'd done much of the course before and I'm used to running up and down hills.  Well, that was folly.

It well nigh crucified me image.  After a measured 1:51 for the first half, the second bit was despicable.  Any hope of a sub 4 time disappeared in Bitton and it was a slog from 19 to 22.  That said, the fabulous support by so many people really did help - quite amazing. 

Still, ok with a 4:21 - reasonable first bash on a tough course and gives me a respectable target for next time - wherever that may be?  Lovely yet brutal course. Pleased I'd lined up a sports massage on Monday - the pain is quite reasonable now image

• Options

Hi Folks

First of all we would like to congratulate everyone on their run Last Sunday, You were all fantastic and from our point of view just a little crazy too as we will never understand how you mange to achieve these runs so a very big well done from us to you.

The Main purpose for posting though is to see if its possible to gain a little feedback about ourselves, Some of you may or may not have seen us out on the track on Sunday, we were you Moto Marshals for the day and the reason we are present is keep you safe from public traffic ( yes there are ones that ignore closures and enter the track) usually you may not see us because as a general rule we try to stay ahead of runners and make sure you have a clear way before you get there to ensure its safe for you. At times we may double back at a very slow pace because we need to get to a problem elsewhere and resolve , this is a very simple of description of what we do however this is a fraction of what's done on the day and i don't want to bore you all with details, the reason I'm posting is a simple one, its very rare for us to gain info on how participants view what we do so all I'm asking if you did see us then how did you perceive us or what you thought our purpose was ??

your feedback is important to us so we can continually improve on what we do.

Im happy to see your comments here or if you prefer you can contact on our website contact page which is available on our website by clicking HERE

We as volunteers have utmost respect for all your achievements at sportive events and it is our goal to achieve that same level of respect towards us and your views count towards helping us achieve that.

Once again Well done to all