Options

New Triathlon Rules for 2016

Comments

• Options
    Daylight Baby wrote (see)

Why for the love of all that's holy haven't they outlawed white tri suits/white shorts? image

I can't disagree!  but I guess style counselling isn't in a governing body's remit - although to be fair we have managed to outlaw the budgie smugglers and crop top look....imageimage

• Options

Another query, if I may, FB: "The helmet strap must remain unfastened in the Transition Area while the competitor is completing the first segment".  Now, I won't ask why that rule is in place.  In most cases I'd leave the helmet on the bars, straps undone.  On a windy day, I sometimes leave it strapped to the brake cables, so I know that it'll be there when I get back from the first run/swim, and not blown off to god knows where.  Is that now likely to be a penalty, or is this one of those cases where common sense would be applied on the day?

A bit like the towel on the floor in transition, which would seem to be banned under the rules, but which officials seem to view as OK if it's clearly just being used as a discrete way of keeping your kit in order, but not OK if it's sticking out halfway across transition?  I suppose that might change now that it would fall foul of the 'only bring in stuff you're actually going to use' thing.

• Options

CD - I have to say I'm not clear on why the strap needs to remain unfastened, and from my POV I'd take a common sense view of matters especially if it's as windy as hell and unattached items need to be strapped down.

towels aren't necessarily banned (although I could argue you don't need one and definitely not bath towels!!), but rule 7.1.c would apply - all stuff within 0.5m or handlebar width of bike.   and also all kit behind the furthest point of the wheel when racked to avoid marking the spot - in front of the wheel is spot marking.    but by dog, this is going to be a bitch to manage in a busy T and with limited resources!!  

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    As a no tri guy I read this whole thread out of curiosity and find it all intriguing. I must be getting old.
  • Options

Cheers for the information Buddha.  I think clothing has been discussed before, but:

2.8(c)(vi) Clothing; "If the suit has a zipper it will be located at the back (except for middle and long distance events) and will not be longer than 40cm. Competitors wearing a front zip suit must ensure it remains fully done up for the duration of competition."

The way I interpret the above is that front zips are banned at anything under half distance (even done up) - is that right?

But with point (ii) in that clause of the rules in the same clause stating the whole torso must be covered, I'm curious why Lucy Gossage not pulled up at IM UK last year for pulling the whole top half of her suit down no the run & only wearing a sports bra (which also violates the "must be worn over both shoulder rules at (vii)? http://lucygossage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/lucy-Gossage-10-Ironman-UK-2015.jpg

• Options

Blimey - I'm going to take up darts. Or knitting. 

• Options

I was so angry about rule 63.3 I went to read it for myself with the intent of lodging a formal complaint.

• Options

shas - front zips are still allowed but they must remain fully zipped at all times but we will also employ a little bit of common sense when it's roasting hot - as if!  but those at the pointy end will need to comply - but many of these are now wearing rear zipped kit.

as for Lucy Gossage, IM branded events do not come under the BTF or ITU jurisdiction so they have their own set of rules and these still allow more body to be on display.  whether this will continue I don't know as WTC (IM brand owners) and ITU are having some productive talks to have a common set of rules to cover their events

Mouse - image

• Options

And yes I too am shocked at the no crawling rule - does that apply to all distances?!

I'm doing a sprint tri back home in Australia next month so thought I'd better have a quick read of their rules to make sure there wasn't any odd ones I needed to know about, and they are even more obvious about crawling:

4. RUNNING CONDUCT

4.1 A competitor may not crawl.

First in the list!

Interestingly they are still banning bare feet full stop, and have also asked a friend about calf guards as it doesn't say they are banned in non-wetsuit swims but after reading the above comments I imagine they must be for the same reasons.

• Options

no crawling applies to all distances - if it didn't it would specify which distances it would apply to.  it's there for athlete safety reasons - if an athlete has to crawl to finish a race, they really are in no fit state to be racing and should be in the medical area not on the course.

maybe Oz plan to bring in barefoot rules?  they may update rules at a different time to the BTF to fit their seasons.  just guessing here though.   

• Options

[Julie Moss gently weeps in the background]

seriously, I agree FB truthfully.....

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Having now looked for 63.3 and noting that the rules stop some time in advance of that number, I guess it probably doesn't exist and is some kind of joke?

I stand by my original response on the grounds that Rabid political correctness is not funny and joking about racism isn't either hence my incredulity that something like that would be in the rule book, don't know whether to be angry with FB or myself for being so gullibleimage

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

[Julie Moss gently weeps in the background]

First person I thought of too!

• Options

Good news - the ironman rules state:

Article VI. RUN CONDUCT, Section 6.01 GENERAL

(a) Athletes may run, walk, or crawl"

Woohoo!!!!!  But I am still curious how Lucy got aware with only wearing a sports bra because the rules state at point (d) "Running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport???top at all times during the run segment of the Race" and the athlete handbook has a summary table of the important rules and failure to wear a shirt or sport top is one of them.  Surely you can't count a sports bra as a sport-top because most of your torso is still bare?

I'm not trying to take anything away from Lucy as I think she's a fantastic athlete & great person & is really good for the sport because she has such a great personality, I'm just genuinely curious how she can seemingly get away with breaking one of the main rules?

• Options

Judging by the run attire at barcelona last year I would say sport top does equal sports bra where Ironman are concerned. 

• Options

WTC who run Ironman have a different set of rules, so a sports bra is ok...

likewise at Nice in 2014 when I rolled my wetsuit down and did the very long run to T1 bare cheste, it worried a few people, but apart from bad taste it didn't break the rules

• Options
    Dave The Iron Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

WTC who run Ironman have a different set of rules, so a sports bra is ok...

likewise at Nice in 2014 when I rolled my wetsuit down and did the very long run to T1 bare cheste, it worried a few people, but apart from bad taste it didn't break the rules

you wouldn't get penalised under BTF rules for that as males are allowed to show a bare top in the swim and in T1.   note - bare top only!  image

• Options
    Effing Madness wrote (see)

Having now looked for 63.3 and noting that the rules stop some time in advance of that number, I guess it probably doesn't exist and is some kind of joke?

I stand by my original response on the grounds that Rabid political correctness is not funny and joking about racism isn't either hence my incredulity that something like that would be in the rule book, don't know whether to be angry with FB or myself for being so gullibleimage

go on - you can be angry with me but I could suggest your gullibility (and lack of research!) gave you a humour bypass at the time.  anyway it was a passing comment on my part, and in no way am I racist - politically incorrect maybe, but not racist.  

• Options
    Daily mail reader I reckon.
  • Options

FB I am about as politically incorrect as it is possible to be, maybe not as bad as Dave but none the less have a pretty low sense of humour. If you were just another Forumite I might have twigged, however you are an official and knowing that, I didn't question what you had written and why should I question the assertion of someone in a position of knowledge?  

With the power to move a mans towel, comes great responsibilityimage

• Options
    Effing Madness wrote (see)

FB I am about as politically incorrect as it is possible to be, maybe not as bad as Dave but none the less have a pretty low sense of humour. If you were just another Forumite I might have twigged, however you are an official and knowing that, I didn't question what you had written and why should I question the assertion of someone in a position of knowledge?  

With the power to move a mans towel, comes great responsibilityimage

just another forumite... hmmmm.  shall I tell him or will someone else??   image

• Options
    Feed him to the harpies...

Or look for the old Darkside uzi
  • Options

Being famous (or infamous?) is no defence, especially being famous in-cognito!  Anyway my post implied that you were NOT just another forumite.

I look forward to being disqualified at a race coming to this forum sometime soon! I will be the one in matching calf guards and arm warmersimage

• Options

chill fella. we're only having some fun.

just look over your shoulder at the next event  to see which official is watching you- could be me...image

• Options

I've just ordered the flurescent yellow compressport calf guards just in case.

• Options

so if males can be naked on the top half for swim T1.........then I take it there is no specific rule to state that women cant be...

• Options

and I still cant see what possible help calfguards could give for a swim......its not like they have neoprene in them

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

so if males can be naked on the top half for swim T1.........then I take it there is no specific rule to state that women cant be...

Yukkie, Only on grounds of moral decency, Can you imagine some old witches getting their baps out in T1 ?

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Boobs are always easier on the eye than moobs.
  • Options

depends on the boobs surely ?