Options

Advice on Full Marathon 25th September (Nottingham)

I've just completed the Reading half marathon in 1:52:19 and I'm looking at a flyer for the Robin Hood marathon in September. 

1. Is this enough time for a man approaching 40 to train for a sub 4 hour marathon, I currently run 20-25 miles a week (No point in paying the entry fee if this is an unrealistic goal).

2. I'm looking for a training plan based on 4 runs a week (Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun), with Sunday being the long run. I know there are a lot out there but I have no way of objectively evaluating their effectiveness (or to be more honest which are more likely to lead to injury). 

Most of my runs will (sadly) be treadmill based though I always aim for the long run to be outdoors. 

I have a Garmin 235 to help me with training (or at least let me see where I went when I get lost).

Comments

• Options
    Yes. Most training plans are about 16 weeks so ample.

Google training plans and find one that fits in with what you want.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Hal Higdon training plans are good - probably Novice 2 given where you are.  18 week plan with 4 runs a week (plus cross training, but that can include walking)

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Hal higdon are good.

the Pfeizer and Douglass P&D plans get rave revues and there is always a three running under training, but they are quite hard plans, but if you can stick with it they work well.

• Options

Hi T, nice post. I've been waiting for the Nottingham Marathon to be announced for it is in my home town. I'm in a similar boat to you fitness wise; I recently ran a half marathon in 2 hours and want to beat a 4 hour marathon.

I'm signed up for the Abingdon Marathon in October but also want to run Nottingham. Between now and these I've got a 10k in May and a half in August. 

I've got no doubt for myself that it's doable as long as there is regular training and weekly long runs and you've just completed a half marathon with ages to get fit for the marathon; so go for it.

• Options

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll sign up tomorrow and start a training plan on Monday. 

I'll have a look at the suggested plans and see which feels right for me... I really need to read the manual on this watch, I'm sure there will be some way to make it beep at me when I should be running faster or slower in the different workouts.

Good Luck with Abingdon and Nottingham Logic.

• Options
    decadavedecadave ✭✭✭

general rule of thumb at this stage.. if you are panting too much - slow down.. if you are not panting at all.. speed up...