Options

Tiredness and running Mojo

How does tiredness affect other people's motivation for running?  

I have a busy job, which can sometimes involve working long hours, and 2 kids that like to get up early and are on the go all the time!  Sometimes I feel that when I'm over tired I struggle to get the motivation to go running.  A few late nights can knock me for a few weeks before I can catch up and get back into the grove.

It would be interesting to know if anybody else has this problem or any suggestions to motivate whilst tired.

Comments

• Options

Oh, how I empathise! I wake for work at 5.30am, out of the door at 6am and don't get back from work until 8pm. Once or twice a week I dont get back until 10pm or 11pm. I live in a perpetual state of sleep deprivation.image

I run because (a) thats not a healthy lifestyle, and (b) it helps me cope with the stress. They are the underlying motivators for me. Thats what motivates me month-to-month.

But on a day-to-day basis i find the key is (a) to plan the session in advance, so I know what I'm 'meant' to be doing (i find I'm more likely to regret missing a specific session than missing a generic 'run') and (b) to make the turnaround at home as quick as possible (the minute you stop for a cup of tea / sit down / watch a YouTube video you are screwed). 

Finally, after every run I remind myself that I invariably feel better / happier / more relaxed than before the run. Having this at the back of my mind really helps too.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Still enough time and motivation to write your blog though.

Personally I run at lunchtime. Once I get home there is very little chance of getting out unless it's a late run.

• Options

My mainstay is 0530 wake, 0545 out on run (cross country, head torch if needed) and then back when rest of family wake up for school prep/breakfast routines. Almost out and running before I realise what I'm doing... and before tiredness/excuses/the rest of the world can kick in. Took a short while for body clock to adjust. But 2230 is a late night for me!

Love the early mornings, peace, wildlife active (deer, badgers, foxes, owls etc).

The dog helps! She needs her morning run as much as me and therefore I have no choice...

• Options

Thanks guys.  

HA77 would love to run at lunch but my office doesn't have a shower, else that would be perfect...I even tried to persuade them to install one but to no avail image

I have loved my early morning runs in the past and think I need to find the love again.

Chris2304, like the idea of planning the runs better so I am just in auto pilot.

• Options

Hi Stefan, I'm in the same boat as you...two young kids and a busy job.  Have you ever had an injury that's prevented you from running for a long period? If not, get one! All that time where you physically can't run really motivates you to appreciate your health and make the most of running while you are able!

P.S. Please don't actually get injured, it's not very nice!