Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    I've been having a small problem with a pain on my right foot. It's right beside the ball of my foot just under my big toe. It's painful to put any weight on it and it hurts when I walk. Has anyone else had a problem like this?
  • Options

Sorry Rossi71, I have been lucky so far.

Just to say that my training schedule has not changed for over three decades and is the same as when I was working full time, in addition to being involved in several other activities at the same time - school governor, youth work, Trustee of half a dozen charities, carer, dad, husband, dogsbody etc, etc.

For the record:

Tuesday evenings from 7:00pm for minimum two hours

Thursday evenings from 7:00pm for minimum two hours.

Saturday mornings - run to Parkrun (2 miles as warm up, pace at Parkrun, run extra laps of Parkrun cours with people I train, run home 2 miles) making 10.19 miles normally or 7.08 miles if no extra laps.

Sunday mornings - start as early as 6:00am for LSR - can be as little as 12.75 miles and up to 18 miles - usually home and showered by 10:00am - unless I have a race to go to - minimum 1/2 marathon

Hope this clears up any confusion and shows it is all about Eliminating Excuses and sticking to commitments - so much so that my son had to arrange his wedding on a day other than his preferred weekend as I had a race booked - if friends and relatives invite me to their functions and I inform them I have a race that day, they understand (no choice for them). In the Last Twenty years only missed four Sunday sessions - deaths of my parents, my first daughter's wedding (didn't have a race booked) and once when I was hospitalised - was out the next Sunday though.

Have been married for over 37 years and 'Er Indoors has now taken up running (106 Parkruns so far). 

• Options

Wow Harmander, that certainlky is a 'no excuses' attitude image

You're right though, you've got to commit and make it happen. I'm as guilty as anyone for finding an excuse! You've got to have a balance though and factor in real life sometimes but ultimately we'll all know when stood on that start line whether we've given it our best in training or not, by which point it will be too late to do anything about it!!

My knee held up to an 8 miler yesterday with no ill effects today. Its not 100% but not enought to prevent me going out again tonight

• Options

Struggling to get out at the minute.  I did manage to get a 9k run done with a guy from the running club a week yesterday - but he's going to be out of action with an ankle op now.  Also did a 45 minute orienteering event last Thursday.  But a blank weekend and struggling to get out tonight as well.  Work is very quiet which is making the days difficult to get through.  Hoping for an upturn in fortunes.  I suppose it's on my mind today that it's three months from today and things are getting more difficult at the moment rather than making progress. 

• Options

Kinga, 

Thank you - even after doing the miles and feeling great I remain as respectful of the road ahead from the start line as those who are honest with themselves - but having got there I am positive and determined about finishing. 

The pressure of being the one who so many rely on to get them to the finish line in a certain time is indeed immense but I see it as an honour.

• Options

2064 hours to the starting gun - no pressure imageimageimage.

Lets keep the positive supportive messages coming.

Set yourselves some interim but progressive and realistic targets and adjust your expectations according to how well you do in achieving your interim targets.

Don't rely on hope, make it happen - other than genuine physical injury or tragic incidents with loved ones there simply is no excuse - you have all come nine months or more along your dream path, don't make it a nightmare forever by giving up - remember you can walk it in 8 hours which is about 18:18 minute a mile or 11:22 a Km or a 56:45 minute Parkrun about eight times.

Unless one is in a wheelchair, the rules are you have to cover the distance on your own, so YOU have to make the effort - NO ONE CAN HELP you.

• Options

Well, I didn't turn over in bed at 5.45 this morning but got up and plodded a slow 5k. Which is something. I've been running home from work once a week (11k) and need to now make sure that my weekend run starts lengthening...Like many here, I imagine, I've never run further than a very slow (over 2 1/2 hour) HM so it's starting to get scary. But as Harmander says, worst case scenario, I can walk it...

• Options

I certainly know I can and will do it due to the 8 hour cut off so even if the majority of it is walking I will make the finish line.  But to say there's no excuse other than physical injury or tragic incidents with loved ones really doesn't help when some of us do have greater problems to overcome.  But I've just given myself an added incentive by setting up a fund raising page which I'm sure will provide a greater push to overcome my current difficulties.  And I am getting out running tonight.

• Options

I'm finding the stress of fundraising far more of a worry than the 26.2 miles! I can run a marathon no problems - but raising that much cash is going to be challenging. 

I'm 26% of the way there and still have my boss who promised to chuck in AU$1000 (£600) - so if the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to dip into my own pockets to make the £2K I've pledged!

(https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adrian-Wallace1) just in case anyone wants to read backstory....

Had a tough run yesterday - had a group trail run covering 13km all over our local mountain. the 450m of ascent was bad enough - but the 30C temperatures meant I was absolutely shattered by the end and kept telling myself "42km on flat roads in cool conditions is SOOOO much easier than this!"

• Options

PGI,

Its great to hear that you have the resolute to believe you can do it, one way or another.

My comments were about my personal attitude towards things and life in general and not directed at anyone - if they appeared Trumpish, I apologise. I feel I have many strengths but among my even more weaknesses is the inability to be psychic regarding personal challenges faced by everyone else.  

As a pacer in races we are asked to run a steady pace throughout and not expected to wait for those following us deciding to (say) have loo breaks. 

DadAgain (Adrian), yes it always seems that way to all of us as there is only so much in the compassion cake and one feels guilty in having to ask each time.  It is why I only raise funds once a year from the 14 marathons/ultras a year I run.

• Options

Thanks Harmander.  I appreciate you are just trying to motivate people.  I do just get frustrated when things aren't going well and things do get aimed at people at times.  Got out last night, have got a parkrun lined up tomorrow and a meet up with someone else for an hours run on Sunday so hopefully turning things around.

• Options

Simple practicality question for those who've done London before:

Sport drink provided on course is Lucozade sport. Is that the orange flavour? Is it just post-mix provided in regular paper cups? Or does it come in pre-manufactured pouches or bottles?

I've never had the luxury of anything other than a cup for drinking on race day - and if there's gonna be any different I need to make sure I can open the packaging in a controlled manner and drink whilst running without pouring it all over myself and becoming a sticky mess!

Until last year I was a fan of drinking water and leaving the sports drink - but kept having cramp issues. Last year I hit the Gatorade on course in Chicago (after training with it) and the cramps miraculously stayed away. Could be coincidence of course - but perhaps that little bit of extra fueling made all the difference?

• Options

DadAgain,

It comes in 500ml sports cap bottles and there are two flavours - orange and sorts of cherry (it all tastes the same to me).

These drinks are usually every even mile from mile 6  if I recall (I carry my own and top it up when finished towards the latter stages of the race).

PowerGels/bars are first available at Mile 14 and I think twice more after that.

All drinks are in bottles - the public also offers yummies and drinks (including beer) along the way - one could weigh more at the finish than when starting off if one is not careful.

• Options

Went for a little jog with my marathon friends yesterday - ended up doing 18.22 miles.

YTD = 222.02 miles 

This is a few huundred metres  short of making it 10% of last year#s total - in under a month

• Options

Great question re the drinking stations. As I've never ran even approaching marathon distance the nutirtion/hydration dilemma is one of my main concerns to be honest.

What to drink / take on board and when? Do I pack my own gels rather than rely on trying to grab at a station? What gels are provided so that I can practise through training?

Any advice much appreciated image

Set out yesterday with the intention of running a half but my loop took me a bit further and got 14.5 miles in the bag. Felt good majority of the distance though and found that from mile 6 I had naturally upped the pace a little which was maintained to the end. Usual story though in that as soon as I've mentally realised I'm nearing the end of my run I start to feel a bit heavy legged but that is something I tend to get regardless of the distance run!!!

• Options
    So that's it, we've lost 2 weeks from this thread!

Maybe I can pretend that I've been running everyday rather than having been ill for the past three weeks! I managed to get out for 9 miles on Sunday, for my first long run for 3 weeks. My previous run was 16 miles and all was going well, so I'm hoping to get back on track pretty quick.

I managed to read through the last couple of weeks of posts on the old forum before it disappeared and I saw lots of inspiration, some great fund raising and lots of positive energy so hopefully this thread can get back on track just like my running and we'll all get through the marathon together.

So let's hear what you've been up to ...
  • Options
    Yes Mike,
    hate the new layout but just got to go with it.
    In am up to 336.18 miles this year and will be pacing (for 2:30) at Hampton Court Half on Sunday - if anyone is doing it come and say Hi
  • Options

I wondered ifi t was just me and my PC playing tricks on me!!

5 miles at 7:40 pace last night, feeling strong. Long run mileages start to ramp upf rom this weekend!!

Saw a physio about my knee, thinks I've aggravated the bursars (not sure if spelt correctly!!) hence why I've still been able to train after initial lay off. Voltarol gel pre-run and ice and Ibuleve gel post-run to manage it and carry on as normal. Just glad its nothing serious but given how its been improving over past few weeks I kind of figured for myself anyway

• Options
    I done 13 miles on Saturday past in the wind and snow. Was a tough slog, but got through it ok. Character building I would say :-). Training plan says back down to 10 miles this week for my Long Run, so preparing for that. Enjoying the runs during the week too. Edging towards my fundraising target for the SSPCA which is also motivating me throughout the running.
  • Options
    I don't think I could do one mile at 7:40 pace!  Always good to hear that an injury isn't as serious as first thought.

8 miles this morning before work, felt good (11:40 pace though!).  Pretty happy with that after 3 weeks off, I've formally decided that my aim for marathon pace is 12 min miles, unless the next few weeks go spectacularly well.  I'm concerned that setting off at under 11:30 may mean I struggle too much at the end so given that this is my first marathon and maybe the only time I'll get to do London, I'm just going to enjoy it as much as possible.

Well done on going through the snow Rossi; I seem to enjoy adverse weather!
  • Options
    Mike, 
    I will be pacing at 11:27/mile (5 hour pace) from Blue Start - so if you got a ballot entry you are most welcome to tag along with me. Will be at the back of Pen 9 I think. Now you know what I look like, come and say Hi at the RW stand at the Expo.
  • Options
    Yes, I am ballot.  That reminds me to book a day off for the expo - see you there!
  • Options
    Turns out I've missed the closing date for Silverstone half, annoying!!
  • Options
    Got out running with the running club twice this week so feel like I'm making a bit of progress at last.  Was doing a 5 mile time trial tonight.  Was going well for the first half until hitting a long stretch with lots of dropped kerbs for driveways meaning it became very uneven.  This really did me in and ended up walking most of the remainder.  Well, at least VLM will be on the roads so won't get that problem there!
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    I hate dropped kerbs, they really throw you off your stride, especially if you're tired!  I'm now on 3 x 13 miles at long runs, first one was a training run, last weeks was a half mara and this weeks was supposed to be 15 but I was dying at 11.  My own fault in a way, I left it till 08:00 to run this morning rather than the usual 06:00 and of course the sun was up then - just too hot, cannot do heat.  Hope there's some cooler weekends ahead or else I'm stuffed :open_mouth:

• Options
    I'd rather have dropped kerbs than heavily cambered roads! I've managed to avoid them lately but there are a few spots around my way where running feels completely skewed as you struggle to not fall off the edge of the road.

Completed first 80km week (50 miles) and feeling good here. Should be stepping up to 85km this week with the first of the 32km (20 mile) long runs :)
  • Options
    Morning all what's happened to all the previous post!

still training is going well. 12 miles done yesterday and 12 mid week miles in total this week. This is where my training plan notches up the miles also midweek.

how is everyone finding training? It was nice yesterday to be running in nice weather for a change.  Anyone doing the Brentwood half marathon on here?
  • Options

Was wondering about that myself Spenno2 ?!?

My training is going really well, ran the longest I've ever ran before yesterday (13.2miles) pace wise I was really happy (02:07:45) which was 14 min quicker than the half I did 6 years ago.

Ended up with a few niggles this morning though, 1 small blister on my little toe and my Achilles is aching a bit but apart from that it was a perfect run along the Taw Estuary.

Had some physio last week as my shin front was playing up again (had this issue for many years) and having religiously completed the exercises I was given, this was the first run I've done where it hasn't ached at all during a run.

Happy, Happy, Happy!!!

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Was going to try and do a gentle 10 miler today to tell myself I'm not a useless prat, but today's weather is thunder, lightning and rain.  Throw in the odd tornado forecast and I think it is telling me to stay indoors  :D  Never mind, there's always tomorrow!  Been to the gym and done some 'core work' instead :)

• Options
    Don't envy your weather conditions that you're having to contend with TopSec.

Things took a bit of a turn for the better.  Completed my 50th parkrun on Saturday and knocked 30 seconds off my previous time.  What I think made that happen was that I'd just received a message from someone at the running club willing to support with my training which came as a great relief.  So we met up for a run on Sunday - did 8k.  I was going well to start with but anxiety set in around half way so didn't achieve quite as much as I would have liked - but certainly more than I would have done on my own which most likely would have been nothing.  She has also offered to meet up at running club nights and run with me if I need support on the night to help with my anxiety issues.  I am hoping that this will make the difference in me getting out regularly over the remaining weeks.  Work days are still taking their toll though - ended up in bed after work yesterday but coping a bit better today so hoping I do make it to club tonight.