Options

Larking gowen city of Norwich half marathon

LARKING GOWEN CITY OF NORWICH HALF MARATHON SUNDAY, 9 APRIL 2017 So I've entered the Norwich half marathon, I know it's not until next April and I guess talking about it this early is a bit too soon. But I'm excited as it's my first half marathon, and I have plenty of time to train. And trust me I'll need it as I've only got into running recently, I'm only doing parkruns and running 4.5 miles runs during the week. Few questions... Is anyone on this forum planning on taking part? If you have taken part before, what was your experience of the Norwich half marathon like? And any sort of training advice is always appreciated and anything else related to the subject shall be appreciated Nige

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    It's getting closer now, time for me to get serious with my training!

Anyone else taking part?
  • Options

I'll be away so can't do it this year, but have run it quite a few times in the past.  They have moved the time of year - always used to be end of November and we've had some shocking weather to contend with so hopefully you'll get a nice spring day.

They have also changed the course a few times over the years.  Used to be 2 laps, but was a single lap last year which I think is better, although there are a couple of short steep hills along the way.  I expect they will stick to that course again although I haven't checked.

Generally very well organised - good start and finish in the showground, closed roads and plenty of water stops.

Hope you enjoy it image

• Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the reply Freemers, I'm generally looking forward to it!

It sounds like an interesting course, hopefully I can train well for it and shake my latest injury off!

I plan on training up to 12miles so on the day my achievement shall be completing the distance of the half marathon for the first time!
  • Options

It's a bit congested for the first mile or so if you're a "middle of the pack" runner like me, but that's probably a good thing as it stops you sprinting off too fast!

• Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Middle of the pack, or just behind the middle is whereabouts I'd be, well that's a guess as I'm an amateur at this.
  • Options

Mr Tim is right - it's really the first mile where you are inside the showground as the paths are quite narrow.  Once you're out onto the main road it sorts itself out.

Do you have a target time in mind Nigel?

• Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Hello Freemers, in all honesty I don't have a target time!

I'm still training to run longer lengths, so I hope to have a rough idea by the end of February. I run 5k around 23-24minutes so hope to work from that point!
  • Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Not long now  :)
  • Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Lovely weather, was rather hot and my knee went around the 10mile mark. 
    Was a great experience though for my first half marathon.
    hopefully I'll start training for another half marathon soon. 

• Options
    SmudgerncfcSmudgerncfc ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I was just there to spectate on Sunday, as needed the rest after my 2nd Marathon of the year (the previous week at Bungay).  Next up I have London Marathon on April 23rd, followed by Windermere (May 21st) and Liverpool (May 28th).  That will have me halfway through my 10 Marathon Challenge this year. More can be read about my full itinerary here; https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/smudgerncfc 
  • Options
    Nigel GNigel G ✭✭✭
    Fair play smudge