Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    What's everyone doing this weekend - I'm thinking a very slow 8-10 miles as a final "long run" ?
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Just a 1.5 - 2 hour slow run for me as following a Hal Higdon plan for between races.

However did a 12 mile last Sunday at race pace in prep for Paris and felt it was great to get confidence up for that pace.

So many plans out there say different things - I think you can mostly do what you feel, just don't go for anything longer than half marathon seems to be the consensus.
  • Options
    null
    Nicko, I'll send you a PM regarding pacing London together rather than clog this thread up ;)
    null
  • Options
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Hello all, new member. Enjoyed reading through this thread.
    Doing my 2nd VLM this year - first one was in 2014 and was very underprepared. Diet was off, skipped training runs etc, thought I could just turn up on the day and blag it.
    I couldn't. Did 4hr 50 and I absolutely hated it.
    I've absolutely loved the training yet, hasn't been easy, suffered injuries to both ankles but feel good and aiming for sub 4hr, maybe even 3hr 45.

Thinking about following the 3hr 45 pacer and keeping him in eyesight. Is that recommended or shall I run my own race?

Hope everyone is tapering well this week, 5 mile run down the Thames for me tomorrow :smile:
  • Options
    snewma00 
    Which colour start are you ?
  • Options
    The pacers will be:

03:45 Sara Black
    03:45 Nelo Stotter
    03:45 Andrew Smith
    03:45 Alex Garner
    03:45 Simon Martin
    04:00 Jules Roberts
    04:00 Emily Foy
    04:00 Paul Addicott
    04:00 Susie Chan
    04:00 Alex Bedingham

Sara, Nelo, Jules & Emily - Red Start
    Andrew, Alex G, Paul & Susie - Blue Start
    Simon and Alex B - Green Start

You can meet some of the pacers at the RW and Cancer Research Stands at the Expo when you collect your number

• Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Had my last run this morning before I fly out this evening. Was a pleasantly cool morning (~18C) so although I had planned an easy 10km, I got a bit carried away and put in the middle 5km at target race pace. It was comfortable, but I'm still scared about trying to hold that pace for 8 times as far!

Amusing conversation I overheard the other day whilst running past a couple of older guys walking along the seafront on a morning that was about 18C and a *hint* of drizzle:
    Guy1(Thick Birmingham accent): "Its not very noice is it? I LOATHE this cold weather"
    Guy2 (Equally thick Yorkshire accent): "Aye - its fooking' freezin!"

It occurred to me that 18C back home they'd probably be stripping off into tee-shirts and basking in the park talking about how glorious summer was! Funny how we all acclimatise to a new climate so quickly isnt it?

I'm hoping that a week is going to be enough for me to adjust to Englands cooler conditions before running and I'm a bit scared I'm going freeze my little socks off standing around in Greenwich park. It doesnt matter how cold it is I cant bring myself to run in anything other than shorts and vest (Marathon Rule #1 - Dont do anything different on race day) and I know i'll be ok once we start moving, but the hanging around after bag drop off and before race starts is a bit of a worry.
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Blue start. Not sure why, is it completely random?

Cheers Harmander, I'll have a chat with them at the Expo!
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Most of the pacers will look like pied pipers with a little crowd surrounding them, it can get a bit busy. Either hang back and keep them in sight or try to stay in front of them, either way try to give yourself a little more space.
  • Options
    DadAgain,
    Predicted weather for Race Day is 15 degrees and cloudy - obviously cooler in the morning at 8:00 am. 
    In addition to the trow away clothes just before the start I invest in (lol) wheelie bin liners that keep me dry too and these are ripped off  (as in Full Monty) a few minutes before the
    start.

Snewma00
    Ballot and club entries usually Blue
    Charity entries Red
    GFA and Celebs are Green start
  • Options
    Rodeoflip,
    Thanks - good advice
    And we smell of sweat - lol
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Two runs this week done, 5.5 miles each. From London Bridge to Big Ben, across the bridge and back.
    Average pace of 7.36 min/m which is way above what I'm looking for, Saturday will be an 8-10 mile run.

What is recommended next week? Maybe a run on Tuesday and then just rest and carb up?
  • Options
    Snewma00,
    Everyone has their own thoughts and reasons for activity in the last week - one shoe (or trainer) does not fit all.
    I for example am mad so will be going for a longish run tonight, again tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday (morning).
    I will also do about 7 miles on the Saturday before VLM - as I said, I am mad.
  • Options
    I basically want to do about 65 miles between now and the day before VLM.
    Madness but enjoyable
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who helped me last week - quick update - saw physio last night and he diagnosed trapped nerve in my back. After much pummelling and slightly painful massage, managed to run 7 pain-free miles last night. So relieved! Wish I'd gone before and not missed a whole weeks worth of training but can't be helped now.

Slow ten-miler Sunday and a couple of 40 minute easy runs next week and it's sit back and let the nerves mount. Stomach turns somersaults every time I visualise myself on the starting line!

Good luck everybody.
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Forget what I posted now, so apologies if Im repeating myself!  10 mile race last weekend, not good, niggle in ankle (same as Dec marathon) so walked some of it as I was so paranoid about making it worse!  Stupidly it may have been the way I was lacing my shoes so I've changed it today and I'll see how my next few runs go.  It's not enough to cause an issue on the day so even if it does come back I'll run through it, hopefully won't though as I've an Ultra in May I need to be able to run :)  Booked my London hotel today and starting to think about clothes for the day etc.  Need to whizz into a charity shop to buy a throwaway sweatshirt now
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    KatieO, that's great news. Knowing a good physio is so important when these niggles come up. A week's worth of lost training will make no difference whatsoever, it's the cumulative effect of all the training done over the last few months which will get you to the finish line, one or two individual runs missed is irrelevant. I wouldn't even go to 10 miles this weekend, maybe stick to around 8, and if you're running next week then keep them either slow or short - if 40 minutes, then just take it very easy. You'll be fine!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I'm posting on behalf of my mother who's not very technical and also doesn't speak English well (her English is basic)... She's running the London marathon this year - her 2nd marathon ever - and is a Green start (number starting with 2, not sure if that matters - she qualified in the Good for Age category based on her time achieved in her 1st marathon last year: 4:15, she's 63 years old). My plan was to accompany her all the way to her start area but after reading the magazine I realised I won't be able to go very far. So the current plan is to take her to Maze Hill (which apparently is the station she's supposed to be going) then meet her again at the finish line.

I guess my question is - am I able to accompany her much past the Maze Hill station, perhaps all the way to the "gate" to her start area, assuming there is something like a gated area? Then, is it going to be difficult for her to navigate around, not knowing much English - drop off her kit bag, then find her place in the start line, etc. Is it signposted visually - colours, numbers etc - or perhaps they rely mostly on announcements? Last but not least, she wasn't planning on taking her mobile with her on the track (she wants to leave it in her kitbag). Is that a bad idea - perhaps it would help her call me in case she gets stuck or lost? Sorry if my questions are silly, I'm not a runner and never been anywhere close to the London Marathon area. Thank you.
  • Options
    Liteplay, your mum sounds amazing!!!
    I run VLM in 2015 and went to the start via Maze Hill. You will be able to stay with her right the way into Greenwich Park (but do give up your train seat to runners we really need to sit as much as poss!). However you will not be allowed into the runners only enclosure. My tip would be to ensure she knows the words for 'toilets', 'bag drop' and 'start'. From memory everything important had a sign. What language does she speak? This is an international marathon, she may find herself close to people who share her language anyway!
    On course she will need to know when the water stops and toilet stops are, I seem to recall these had written signs and visual signs a few hundred yards ahead. She won't miss the finish, it's a massive gantry with British flags along the final few hundred metres and a huge clock!
    At the end she will need to find the truck that her kitbag is in and this is all done in numbers and colours. I could only speak to say thank you to the person who handed me my bag. The marshalls at the the end know many of us are completely jiggered by then and incoherent in any language.
    There is only a couple of ways out of the finish area, prearrange your meeting up at a convenient spot.
    Your mum may want a few words of English to say to fellow runners "no English" "nervous" "good luck" and I bet she knows thank you already, but asides from that I don't think she'll need much more. Marathon faces speak a thousand words!
    When your mum collects her race pack and registers at the Excel Centre a few days before the Marathon there will be more course info, maps and instructions which will help you both.

Hope that helps, others may have experience from last year to share.

Leigh x
  • Options
    Thanks so much, her English isn't that basic I guess - her only concern is not being able to find her place in the start line - and at the right time. Also my concern is - what if something goes wrong, it would be better for her to have her mobile on her - but she doesn't want to carry it as she's determined to run it in less than 4 hours and wants to be as light as possible. I'm obviously more worried than she is :-)

We did figure out where the water, Lucozade and toilet stops were, and once she starts running I think she'll be fine, she's been training for months for this. At the finish line we agreed to meet at one of the meeting points that are marked by letters, after she picks her kitbag and finisher 'pack'.

We'll be asking a lot of questions at the Excel centre then :)

thanks again.
  • Options
    Liteplay,
    The Green Start area is tiny compared with the Red and Blue.
    The portaloos are aplenty and situated within the enclosure.
    The Green Start is difficult to miss as it is a big gantry and to the right of the celebs enclosure which is within the Green enclosure (yes and they have posh loos too. If you make your way to the right of the start the crowd is right next to the low control barriers cheering the runners.
    You can carry on talking to your mum through the fence all you like and point out the baggage lorries so she can hand in her bag in time - each lorry is clearly numbered and your mum's bag will need to have her running number on it - this is supplied with the running number and chip at the Expo.
    Am basing my response on experience as I have been at the Celebs enclosure a few times - the runners join the Blue start runners from the left just before the 1 mile marker.
    Feel free to come ans talk to me at the Runners World Stand at the Expo after 3:30 on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday
    Good luck to your mum - she sounds amazing
  • Options
    Personally I'm with your mum Liteplay about the mobile. Leave it in the kit bag and run free! She absolutely will not get lost on the course and in all honesty your lack of knowledge about London and marathons will mean you will be of little help anyway :-) !!! She will be much better off speaking to marshals and getting by on a little English and sign language. Also the back of her race number which she must have pinned to her top will have room for your contact details to be written on. If needed this will be what the race marshals will use. I've lived in London many years and I can tell you when it all kicks off here the mobile system just stops working. Make a firm plan beforehand which you stick to, it's what we all did before mobiles existed! I think your fears will all be calmed when you go to the Expo and chat with Harminder Singh2.
  • Options
    Hi we are coming from Canada, staying near the finish line. Any recommendations on restaurants for our carbo lunch on Saturday?
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭
    Sumacrae,

If you're near the finish line you can't be far from either Leicester Square or Covent Garden which are packed with restaurants.  Wander up and take your pick!!  Loads of Italian ones if it's pasta based you're after :)

• Options
    Hi all,
    Did 18.95 miles including Parkrun today.
    YTD = 806.49 miles.
    Still going for LSR tomorrow too - because my 73 year old uncle who came first in his age category at Leicester Marathon has rolled in and said 'you up for a little jog in the morning kiddo?' - even though I am absolutely knackered.
    Got Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to taper I guess and a little pacing at Parkrun next Saturday before VLM
  • Options
    I haven't posted before; this is for anyone who's been troubled by injuries and worried. Training went fine (sub 3hr in a 20-mile race a month ago) then calf troubles disrupted the last three weeks of training badly (lots of rest and ice). On Friday I didn't feel up to 26.2 miles and was debating deferring; yesterday was make or break - I ran 9.5 miles, 9-minute miling as dictated by my plan with no calf issues and it wasn't difficult. This morning it's as if a switch has clicked inside and I feel very strong, no aches, no pains back to where I was a month ago and absolutely up to 26.2. So if you've suffered disruption in your training plan I hope you'll find this positive and motivating. Good luck on Sunday.
  • Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Planned to run 8 miles yesterday and only managed 6 miles I had to walk. Must be the nerves settling in. I felt like I never never run before
  • Options
    Spenno2.
    You are not alone.
    I did 12.52 miles yesterday on hills with laps of 1.25 miles - felt terrible for first two laps, eased into a race pace for about four laps, got gradually worse over the next two with a struggling ninth lap and then as if out of nowhere did a fantastic last lap.
    Am on 819.01 miles now and have plans to do some speed work totaling about 30 miles by Saturday afternoon (including Parkrun) so I reach 875 miles for 2017 when I cross the finish line at VLM.
    In less than 150 hours we will all be proud marathoners - look forwar to it everyone, no point worrying now
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Did 9 miles on Saturday, felt great. Planning to do a few gentle miles tomorrow - London Bridge to Big Ben and back to soak it all in.
    5 days to go!