Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    snewma00,
    Surely you mean Tower Bridge?

• Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    No Harmander, will just do London Bridge to Big Ben as it's my work route.
    Can't wait for Sunday - forecast looks perfect.
  • Options
    oh ok.
    Shorter route I guess - have fun.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    That's it work done until next Tuesday. Nice knowing I can relax and don't have to worry about getting up at 5am for work. Planning a sports massage tomorrow and last bit of charity collection Thursday and expo Friday. Oh and maybe a 3 miler tonight and tomorrow 
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    So, I did 8.75 miles on Saturday, 1/3rd of a marathon. Importantly there were no walking breaks and felt really comfortable, so a real confidence boost. 30 mins plod yesterday (a bit faster than it should have been though). Same again tomorrow, then 20 mins on Friday.

Totally buzzing for Sunday now, can't wait to get to the start line, even though I know it's going to be a very long and painful day !

Off to the Expo tomorrow, going early so will miss you Harmander which is a shame - hopefully see you on Sunday.

Hope everyone else is taking it easy and getting excited now ! 
  • Options
    Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    Nice gentle 3.5 miler tonight. Same again tomorrow then that's me until Sunday. Got the Physio on Thursday which will be a boost. Also found out I won a spot on the Buxton memory lane at 12 miles which will be a nice boost running 80 meters with my girlfriend:-)
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Just back from Boston marathon (amazing, amazing race but I completely fell apart in the heat), DOMS has kicked in big-time and I have horrific blisters all over my feet. One big toe is pretty much just blister, reckon if I cut it off I would have a toe-shaped whole piece of skin. If anyone could push London back a few days for me, I'd really appreciate it............
  • Options
    snewma00snewma00 ✭✭✭
    Well done rodeoflip! Heard Boston was challenging, especially the weather!
  • Options
    nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Well done rodeoflip - does Boston live up to the hype? What was the weather like - i never want to run 26 in heat like Paris again.

Hope you manage to get comfortable to enjoy London - assume that's a casual one for you?

Not sure my BQ plan is going to happen on Sunday, still feeling drained and 10 miles just under 8 per mile on Sunday felt much harder than it should have, probably nowhere near recovered. Saying that, some pace work on the treadmill was ok last night so I might surprise myself again.
  • Options
    Yes well done Rodeoflip - sorry to hear about the blisters.
    Another 8.86 miles this morning at 10:04 mins/mile pace 
    Race pace on Sunday will be 11:22 min/mile
    YTD = 849.09 miles
    Anyone coming to the VLM Expo this week (except Saturday) I will be at the Runners World Stand (or Cancer Research Stand) from about 3:00pm - come and say Hi.

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Thank you guys - weather was hot, especially to a Scot. It was a horrible feeling to just have no energy and to feel how much effort it took to maintain anything like normal pace. I think everyone suffered, there were loads of other people walking and stretching out cramped legs from about halfway onwards. But amazing race, loved it.

London will be a very slow and tentative run. I really don't care about pace / time, just want to jog round and enjoy the London atmosphere. If it wasn't London then I wouldn't even think about it, but I can't not go just because of sore legs / feet.

Happy tapering everyone, take it easy!
  • Options
    Oh nice work on Boston - at least London will be cooler for you - and it's SO much easier to run a marathon rather than race it.  Hope the blisters are better !
  • Options
    Harmander - very good to meet you briefly at the Expo this evening. Quick question if i may - I wanted to stick with the 3:45 pacer but looks like I am in Red Start, Pen5. The pacer is in Pen4. Can I make this work? Thanks
  • Options
    Jonfletcher,
    The pacers usually start at the back of the pen so if you make your way to the front of pen 5 you could almost smell them
  • Options
    DB7XDB7X ✭✭✭
    Best of luck for Sunday guys - it'll be amazing.  Didn't get in this year but remember most of you from last year's thread.  Take in every ounce of atmosphere! 
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    How do I find out which block pacers are in? I'm in block 4 and hoping to run with 3:30 pace group. Is that going to work?
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    ....oh and did I mention - damn it's cold around here!!!! Went for a few speedy km's around my parents village in Hampshire on Tuesday morning and thought my hands were going to freeze solid!

Did mean my 800m reps were about 30 seconds faster than I'd usually do them back home which is quite encouraging!
  • Options
    Ray 4Ray 4 ✭✭
    > @Ray 4 said:
    > Another deferrer here too!
    >
    > 2016 VLM was meant to be my first marathon and has been my obsession since getting a place in October 2015. Training had been going well up until week 12; all long runs had been done to date (2*20 miles, 2*18 miles, 2 * 16 miles) and I also ran a half marathon fairly comfortably in 1.39 so everything was on track for a good debut marathon. Not bad because a few years earlier, I was a fat bloke (3 stones heavier than now) that couldn't run down the street. 
    >
    > After the last 20 mile run on Sunday morning, I had to go to NYC on business on Sunday afternoon and the hotel was right by Central Park. Instead of following the plan and resting / recovering, I ran around Central Park. Multiple times. Hard. Each day for 3 days. Probably not a coincidence, but I came down with shin splints a few days later, just a week away from taper. I deferred at the start of this week and will (hopefully) be running the 2017 VLM.
    >
    > It's been a chastening experience; from feeling strong running around Central Park and feeling in great shape for London 4 weeks ago, to gingerly running a half mile on the treadmill gym last night.
    >
    > Let's hope I've learned my lesson and roll on 2017!

It's been nearly 12 months since I posted this. I've definitely learned my lesson from 2016. I may have been faster last year due to training harder, but training smarter in 2017 means I will be on the start line this Sunday.

I can empathise with anyone that has had to defer at a late stage this year. Trust me, the 12 months passes very quickly and you will be on the start line for next year. Good luck for Sunday, everyone!
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Yes Ray, good work !

And, DB7X - next year?

Attached my number last night, ironed on my name front and rear. Ready to go ! 3 days, bring it on.

Just read the RW article on where to get free food and drink by showing your medal afterwards - Sunday could be a long night !
  • Options
    DadAgain, 

Pen 1    3 hours
    Pen 2    3:15
    Pen 3    3:30
    Pen 4    3:45
    Pen 5    4 hours
    Pen 6    4:15
    Pen 7    4:30
    Pen 8    4:45
    Pen 9    5 hours
    Pen 9:   5:15 Run/walk

The pacers usually start at the back of the pen so if you make your way to the front of pen 4 you could almost smell them.

I will be cutting and pasting this message for all similar enquiries lol
  • Options
    KeiranG.

Just read the RW article on where to get free food and drink by showing your medal afterwards - Sunday could be a long night !

As long as it's not A&E 

Just kidding people - say calm and run like hell
  • Options
    MikeSmithMikeSmith ✭✭✭
    howdy all - I hope everyone is feeling good & ready for Sunday!

Thanks to Ibuprofen gel and some gentle stretching / walking, my foot is feeling much better and I'm confident it'll be OK on the day.

Was at the expo yesterday, picked up my number and I'm suddenly felt very under-prepared on the logistics for the day!  We've moved out of our house to get the extension finished and then my wife had her gallbaldder removed after spending a week in hospital, so I've hardly had time to think about the marathon for the last couple of weeks, plus with my foot injury I haven't run at all for a week and a half now.

Getting back on top of it now, just need to get back in the house and find my trainers, gels etc.  We had planned to be back in last weekend so I didn't take everything with me.

Good luck everyone!

• Options
    MikeSimith:
    'didn't take everything with me.'
    Kitchen Sink?
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    MikeSmith - just a thought, I'd be wary of using Ibuprofen gel on the day - the general advice is not to take ibuprofen before or during a marathon, I think that would probably also include the gel.
  • Options
    KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭
    Although, I am of the view that the stuff has magic powers and it has got me through a few tough runs when recovering from injuries in the past !
  • Options
    Hello, I'm in the green start but it looks easier for me to get to Blackheath than Maze Hill from where I'm staying. Will it be easy enough to wander from there for the Green Start or do I need to make the extra effort to go to Maze Hill?

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday, if you see me say hi - I'll be the one dressed as Bananaman.
  • Options
    You can get to any of the starts easily enough. 
  • Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    I'm in blue pen 9, going to get to the front of my pen so I can get close to the run pacer for the time I want 
  • Options
    DadAgainDadAgain ✭✭✭
    Anybody know how early you need to get to the start pens to get right to the front of your section? I don't want to spend too long stood around getting cold - but do want to be as close to the pacer in the pen in front of me. 

Ill get to Greenwich nice and early and have plenty of time for toilet queues etc - it's just a question of how late do I leave before stripping off, depositing my bag and getting to the start area?
  • Options
    Harmander- good to see you yesterday at Excel! Frst time runner who has definitely got the jitters now but is hoping to enjoy the experience ( at least for some of the way