Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options

Yes parents in Wycombe and then moved down to the South Coast after university. Train in the same group as Scott E down here

An hour done this morning, surprisingly warm out there and had cyclists flying past doing the Sharpener sportive

Funnily enough Pete I cycled out to Upton Court yesterday with Dad along the jubilee river. Your double racing weekends always astound Pete but they obviously work for you  :)

Great two sessions Matt, not sure which is harder....

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

You're certainly spoilt for races down that way!

I'd love to get back down there to do a race sometime. That dream looked a million miles off last year, but I suppose if I can do that 5.4mile leg 100miles away in Birmingham, a 5miler at Victory in Portsmouth should be no less arduous. Slightly shorter, and no hills! And not in heat.

Shame it's December not September now. Just seems to tempt the weather to be rubbish, as well as very likely clash with XC stuff (not that I've done those for a couple of years now!)

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

was just logging a couple of runs from last week, and thought i'd compare last Friday's 8x600 to the last time I did it (late Feb)

Top row Feb, bottom row Friday gone (2 months in between)

That's one big difference right there!

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Interesting that comparison SG.

Honestly, before I read this post, I had my own comparison to declare.

Today felt a lot easier as well.

On that other subject. I can see some reasoning in the idea that running should be grabbed while it can be. On the other hand, habitually going to the limit, is surely the way to bring the deal to an end earlier than needed.
    To me it's like spending your money the moment you get it, because one day you might not have any.

🙂

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I forgot. Sorry Pete, good race. Despite my last post, I'm not quite up for doing a HM at the moment. Not sure if I ever will be. Seems a very long way to race again.

As for marathons. And specifically marathons involving the V50's. My clubmate, one Nigel Rackham ran last years London in 2:32, quick! This year he ran the Boston marathon in 3:52! 
    Seems the first mile was a 7 minute something job and then progressively slower. 

Bit of a mystery. 

🙂

• Options
    Hi folks,

I've been gone a while but now I've got 5 weeks of running behind me, I thought I'd join back in with the running nerd chat! Are many of the thread oldies still about? 
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Welcome back SS. We hadn't forgotten about you.
    Yes, there's all the guys who were here the last time you posted, plus a few more.
    I expect our leader SG will be along shortly.
     :) 

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back SS. Noticed you'd been putting some miles back in! Do you have any idea what Alderly Edge Bypass 10k is like? Think its in July.

• Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    Cheers Ric. 

Matt - I was looking at that race yesterday, it use to be a five miler but due to demand they upped it to 10K. It is literally down one side of a bypass and back up the other. It's pretty flat, but obviously if you run up a hill you'll go down on the way back! The race director is a really nice guy who runs for Wilmslow.
  • Options

Yes certainly plenty of races down this way and a tonne of good guys to race against. That's some big step up between Feb to now SG, likewise Ric a pleasing improvement

First session back today ran it with a few guys, only a short one at 5 x 3mins (90), 2 x 30(60) to ease back in. Averaged 5:15ish pace for the 3mins so pleased with that

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Stevie! Glad to see you're finally getting some continuous training under your belt again!

A quick 22M on the bike today to test out some repairs to my road bike. It included Kop Hill and a couple of other hills. All OK, except somehow the nose of my saddle came off and disappeared somewhere leaving a rather sharp end that kept catching on my shorts, but made me fearful of much worse!!! 
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Always delighted to see the thread's second most handsome Stevie back on the thread See-man ;)

Stick around big fella, whether it's bad, good or erm ugly, we'll be here, chatting it out! ALD pops in occasionally as well too, so we need to keep the originators "in and around it" (you can tell I've been watching too many football summarisers)

Scott, grab yourself a more regular chair on here too. With the Wycombe link it'd be madness not to! Especially as you're clearly a short distance machine, who inevitably will rise through the distances in very soon course. It also keeps the names more confusing if we have 2xStevies, and 2xScott, as well as plenty of  confusion with AG/SG/SCx2 chance for confusion

Bus, thought you were chucking a mental run in for a second! Better when aided by a mechanical device though. Unless you lose part of it!

Standard post "Manc and back in one day" fare for me, basically a lot of lounging time, with a leggy 6 chucked in.

Slightly paranoid at a bit of a feel in the rib area. The one that at its worse made breathing feel a real struggle, and then we know where that led! So hopefully this stays mild or better just disappears!

8 races in 3 days from Sunday onwards, so will ease the mileage down a little this week.  Will still do the next plan sesh, which is 8x400 at 1500 pace, but will decide later if it's a Tue or Wed job.

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    A typo surely SG.
    8 races in 3 days!!
    Made me think of the depleted Man.U squad. Can't expect the guys to perform when only 14/15 out of 22 are functioning. Shame the general public doesn't understand physical effort and 'over doing it', the way that runners with intelligence do.

Following on from yesterday's 11 mile part threshold run; lets be clear here, I'm combining the longest run of the week with an extra element, today was a recovery day. Really, I didn't plan anything more than a rest day, but the legs were feeling so good I decided on a nice easy jog. Three miles went so well, I did another two.

That's one in the bag.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Whoops! Even reading it again I thought, yeah, that's fine.

ahem...3 races in 8 days, and one's a 5k :)

The amount of fans you hear criticising footballer talking about "too many games" is incredible. They'd be able to play as many as you like, but the quality would fade to absolute zero type levels, much the same as..well, if I did 8 races in 3 days :)

ps the only time I can remember increasing runs was when I was in the stage of making it easier mentally by saying i'll  "just do xxx" miles, then getting there and thinking there was zero reason to end that short.

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    SS - good to see you post again mate....christleton?

matt. As I worked in Alderney edge, the bypass was a regular tempo stretch for me. It's about 3 or 4 miles stretch so will be out and back.  Assuming the start is the top end and not the wilmslow end...the start will be fast as it will be downhill with a few bumps in it....but then you have to go back. I imagine it will be fast.

good sessions going on by all...and good to see the progression for ric and Sg.  For those sessions weeks apart.
  • Options
    Stevie seeStevie see ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Deano - not racing Christleton but will be down to watch and do a bit of easy running. I'm two stone heavier than when I broke my foot so racing isn't really feasible for a while. Hopefully July time. 

Managed a 10 miler up and down dale today. So 10, 6, 10 for the last 3 days. 
  • Options

Hi All - 34 posts to read!! good training and racing out there. Better do some work so only a couple of sessions done, 8 x 800 Saturday on grass, 1steady/1 fast  x 4, so came out as 2.49 for all the steadies and 2.21,2.20,2.20,2.18 for the faster ones, so pretty pleased with that, felt good. Did about 13 Sunday am - felt OK as had 8 pints saturday afternoon after training including watching quality local footie, 7-0 win for Leighton Town! Was in a good mood as Bmth won too!

Day off yesterday, the missus did the MK marathon relay, so did a bit of supporting..

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Those certainly are some fast 800s to casually knock out, and on grass! A marathon nicely fitted in by the other half too. Wasn't sure if your wife was a runner or not from the very brief meet at the Boxing day race, but clearly that was a kid duty job and she's very much one!

Woke up with a bit of the stitchy/pinch feel in the right side, to match with the right. Hopefully this is some temporary thing, or at worst something that doesn't lead to further problemos, or reduced running ability!

Anyway, didn't at all affect today's 8x400 off 90secs variant. Quicker than last time for certain.  (plan gives 2mins recovery)

1.10 (saw a 1.09 on the split during the sesh, but saw it was actually 1.09.99!)

I'm certainly in a zone where the reps are coming out faster than ever, it's just a case of seeing how that ties up with the racing now.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Good work - very tidy reps!

Simon - I love the fact your steady 800s are quicker than my fast 800s!!!

Easy 6M for me this morning. Cold again!

• Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice reps SC/SG.

Welcome back SS, I've heard a lot about you from SG pining for the originals, not as much as some bloke called Samir though.

Good come back from injury Bus, I've continued my comeback from a proper injury with an 8 miler on Monday. The foot was a bit sore afterwards making me stress that it will never heal. It seems to have settled down quite quickly though and I hope to get out every other day based on how it's behaving.

• Options

SG - The missus did the relay, 4 in a team, think she did 51.15 for her 6.9 mile leg and he said she wasn't going eyeballs out either. She's been doing a lot of Parkruns lately, hopefully sub 23 soon. Bus - glad you survived the possibly painful bike accident!! Careful with the foot Reg...

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SC2, I wonder sometimes if you would run even faster without doubling the governments minimum alcohol intake for a week in just one day - apparently several times each week.

I just settle for a couple of glasses of red wine at best.

Had a go at a speed session of sorts early this morning. It wasn't too promising as results go. But then again, I haven't run a session since December.

The numbers are forgettable. Legs/muscles, there's absolutely no aches or pains anywhere. Simply that at race speed, my system just goes 'no thanks'.

It's quite strange. I set off at what appears to be an easy to maintain tempo, and after a couple of minutes, realise I'm heading deeper and deeper into oxygen debt.
    Running at around at seven minute 'something' mile pace is easy. Shunt the rate up a few seconds per mile and it's grot-land.

Mainly it's just getting a reminder of what race pace feels like. And I don't much like it! 

So there's a race at Staines to be run. The question may well be is 'how much discomfort I'm prepared to endure'?

🙂

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Ric; Whilst acknowledging your greater knowledge and the unlikelihood of me giving you any decent advice, when I tried for ages to get my long run speed to under 7mm in training it just never happened easily. Every time I forced a long session to be run at say 6'50's or less it felt almost as hard as a race. I gave up on that and now settle for chugging along about 7'15 (or 4'30 k's). However I find when you put the race conditions in place (even for parkruns) it feels pretty easy to run at 6'30 pace or less (at least for 10k or so). Would be surprised if the same didn't apply to you, and so if you do put yourself through the mill you will probably get close to 6mm or less.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Pete, 
    I suppose I could say that technically speaking, I'm still in a conditioning phase.
     Then again, it could also be described as a five month bail out after my last race.
    That's the problem.
    I haven't really put in a race level effort since last year.
    Something to be said for parkruns.

🙂

• Options

Will certainly be sticking around if only to keep the name confusion ;)  

I love how you go from barely racing to having 3 races in 8 days, is one the  Marlow 5 on Sunday?

Problem with football is the general public don't realise quite how far they run in a game, over 10km for most and then if you take into account how much of that is short sprints you begin to understand how knackering it is

Fast 800s/400s from Simon and SG  :)

30 minutes easy today, achey legs so plenty of stretching and rolling tonight

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Yes Scott, stick around.
    One thing I like about this thread is the way posters can step away; for years even, yet can return as if they had last posted the day before.

PeteM. I'm always happy to take on advice from anyone. I appreciate it when offered. There's always something I can learn and find useful.

Right now I'm thinking about going for a run.
    I know that speedwork should be a component at some point, but I've got a little too used to operating in the comfort zone.
    Mind you, at my age just being able to run at all could be considered a bonus.

🙂

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Scott - sure am. Nervous as anything, but probably shouldn't be, as i did cover about 6 parkruns in 7/8 weeks on the comeback trail, and cracked a nice 5miler in Autumn, plus my 3rd best out of 45 5ks and the 2 relays recently. Plus all time fastest track sessions. So just need to remember some of that lot!

Nice 10 today, 6.48 job. Gorgeous scenery in between Slough and Burnham train stations, plus a little sortie taking in a Crematorium, Cattery and erm..Ferrari on a not exactly flash street! Bizarre.

Ric, i can tell you're pretty hungry right now, for a range of reasons. The post count and wordage matching only myself ;), the vigour to test some sessions, and having a race on the agenda!
    I could tell i was pretty much there when i started looking at race opportunities in ridiculous scenarios, like detours back from trips etc. I'm having to reign things in at the moment!

However, i did notice one of our twice yearly conferences has the North version the same night as one of the Sale Sizzlers. That might be an interesting combo. But lets see how Sunday goes first before getting too silly!

Am off to Arsenal v United the same day, so will have to smash it and run, literally!
  • Options

I did have a look at the start of the thread and saw Stevie See on there in about the 4th page! Very impressive as a general newcomer..

Ric - no don't drink quite that much, although April was always going to be quite heavy - Soton and Spurs away, London mara drinking social and then the bonus drink Saturday..

So kicking off the track season at Bedford tonight at the Eastern Vets - 3,000m. Hoping to get the win and not have to go too eyeballs out either, say 9.30 ish. Definitely doing a 3,000 in the BAL at Kingston on Saturday, so bit of an upturn in quality....

• Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG, I've been working towards the day when I take up your offer of a run out High Wycombe way. As for racing road trips, now that's something which I miss from twenty years back. Just line em up!
    Training wise I've had to factor in the mad start to the gardening season. I've never had so many requests as this year. To think, I had made a conscious decision not to take on any more jobs. But when faced with a pensioner running the risk of being ripped off by some chancer, I can't allow it.

So one factor is the 5:30am wake up. This morning was an easy five which ended up at around 7:30 pace. Then on with the super light racers and a few strides. 
    As things stand, I found I could deliver a cadence of over 200 strides per minute. From an observers viewpoint I must look crap, since the pace is only around six minute mile pace.

Really, it's only by gearing right down can I relax enough at race effort. 

🙂

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    You've got to have a crack at a sale sizzler SG!