Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Back home and in reflective mood - I can't figure what went wrong today - I suppose I was aware I was knocking down the miles a bit ahead of schedule early on, but I'd looked at the profile and I was sure I needed a ten minute buffer going through half way just to be safe, that part of the plan went well. Didn't think I was going to have much bother in the second half after my strong finish at Two Oceans but I just ran out of beans, chucked anything down my neck on offer in case I wasn't feeding the engines, half a bottle of Gatorade, my own chews, jelly babies, wine gums, milk bottles, plenty of water, my legs just wouldn't throw down the power, the only thing I didn't take was salt after the past 2 weeks of turmoil.

Have just read up on the posts after I left the hotel - sorry I lost all your bets! Very humble you all had such faith in me :)

Becca - sorry I missed you - thanks so much for hanging on after your half - I was dismayed when the 5 hour guy caught me with 5 miles to go and patted me on the back as he passed me saying "come on this should be a doddle for you" - I tried so hard to track him... damn!

Part of me is wondering if I am fit enough to complete this year's up run even if the do accept my ultra; right now a heap of beers in Durban with Terry sounds like a very fine day out :)

What I have said to them is; if you look at the Iron Man acceptable qualification, a pen.H is given as long as you complete with any time within the competition cut-off. I didn't qualify on any of the marks up to 100k - at the time I was simply running carefree, didn't even know the qualification window had opened, but similarly to the Iron Man I did complete the event within the 40 hour limit set in this case (38:34) so is that equivalent to a pen.H. Hoping for some feedback tomorrow, but, I bet a heap of other submissions with mitigating circumstances are piling in too.

As I predicted it was a hot day out there when the sun broke through today, well above the 13C forecast... I seemed to be the only one chucking water all over the place to keep cool though, can't say it had too much of a detrimental effect.

• Options

Lowrez – you’ve certainly put a huge amount of effort into this, I hope you can be proud of that in itself. Good luck with the organisers – I can see sense in your logic…I hope they do too

Debra – did the cat allow your lie in? The main reason they suggest the bus tours to the international runners is so that they take into account how steep the course can be – I am sure you’re well aware of how steep it can be, but if you fancied it Seren and I are on the later (0915) bus tour on the Friday.

Terry – brave effort going for it at Ashford

The shoes I’m running Comrades in arrived over the weekend and was pleased to get a good run in them. They feel great and nice to feel the bits coming together. I had a lovely outside based long weekend with plenty of running, cycling, sea swimming, kayaking and BBQ’s with the family. Saw a huge friendly seal yesterday – came right up to us 

• Options
    seren - any news on your hip?

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Debra, like you, I did the bus tour last year but I decided against it this year.  I am planning to drive it though in a rental car, maybe skip the Comrades House visit, and get back early for the expo (on the Friday).
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Well done Lowrez on the huge efforts you have made to qualify for Comrades.  Persistence is something I very much admire and you have displayed it in huge quantities.  Sorry you could not qualify through at MK.

It seems that I will not be at Comrades this year.  My injury recurred on a (planned) 32km run this weekend after grumbling in the week.  I had to call for help and get collected after 26km when I didn't want to hurt myself anymore. Currently my left lower-back, right hip and right achilles are sore. 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Bike It, so sorry to hear of you injury recurrence.  Too many of us seem to be either recovering from injuries and other hassles this year.  I hope you heal quickly.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Bike It, but I admire your decision to stop before you damaged yourself. There will be other races.

Lowrez - I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I'm pretty sure you would still have been suffering the after effects of your stomach bug. When Paula Radcliffe blew up in Athens, it was as a result of anti inflammatories she'd been taking after a minor op. They upset her stomach, and basically everything she ate the week before the race went straight through her. She only made it to mile 20, but you finished :) .
  • Options
    Terry - well done on going for it and commiserations it didn't work out. Enjoy the beers

Bike It - sorry that you too are injured and unable to do Comrades this year. I hope you get the injuries sorted and can go from there.

Am also doing the later bus tour on the Friday
  • Options
    Bike It, my sympathies. Sensible decision but I'm sure still disappointing for you after all the training etc. Good luck with getting then injury sorted out and returning to running in full fitness.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    What a year this is.  Sorry you are out Bike It.  I hope that injury recurrence doesn't set you back too much.

Sorry it didn't work out Terry.  You had a mountain to climb that was taller than Inchanga but you gave it your best shot.

Sorry that you didn't make it lowrez.  I think that the 5 hour pacer has run Comrades so he might have appreciated the significance.  I think that I saw you on one of the early switchbacks.  This is the first evidence that I have that you actually exist in real life and are not some elaborate hoax, since I have failed to meet you on both previous occasions in Durban, even when staying at the same hotel.  I had a friend running the marathon so I was waiting anyway but had to go and meet her before you finished.  Fingers crossed that the authorities have mercy and accept your ultra.

A far from ideal preparation for me in the last month or so but a decent training weekend with Oxon 20, followed by 33 miles on my bike on Sunday - not a massive distance but the bike is a fold-up with small wheels and three gears, so quite a good workout, then I did some extra miles before MK half to make it a 20 mile day.  The pace is slower than my usual but it's good to be moving without discomfort.

See you at Halstead, Slow Duck.

Shaping up well Debra. 
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Good news; I will be running up that hill this year :) what a relief; if my stomach was up to it I'd have a Guinness :)

• Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Fantastic lowrez. Glad Comrades could think outside the box. 
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    That's great, lowrez.  
  • Options
    Absolutely, great news!
  • Options
    Lowrez - Fantastic news. Well done. 
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news lowrez.

bikeit - sorry to hear your injury has flared up again - take care.
  • Options
    lowrez, that's fantastic news - well done you for thinking about asking and them for allowing a qualification that's outside the box!
  • Options
    Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Excellent news Lowrez. Like Becca, I won't really believe you exist until I meet you in Durban, though :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Great news Lowrez, and also nice that they responded so quickly.  Onward and upwards (literally?).
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

Thanks everybody. Hope we can meet up Durban side soon :) I do indeed exist Becca+RR - I hope Dannirr can vouch for my existence - he was the first I met last year having resigned myself to another year of anonymity as I dreamily waited for the Hilton lift on Saturday evening and the lonely transit to bed; the weirdest word came from nowhere; "lowrez". It hardly registered at first until he repeated it; "lowrez". That broke through my waking slumber and I instantly recognised that man (without cap and goggles). "Dan?". He explained to his companions the match between the tattoo on his calf and the patch on my jacket. Our exchange was far too short as he exited the lift at the restaurant and I continued on my original path to my room. However, I instantly felt peckish in my room and set out for the restaurant where we carbo-loaded a little and passed time with fine conversation. At Mugg&Bean for breakfast the following Monday I met several others including Debra, Slow Duck and Mr K (not Z).

Bike It, thanks for your kind words, I'm sorry things have not worked out, your qualifier was exceptional after so many issues, I really wish you could run this year, is there no hope for even a gentle attempt like mine if your injury subsides before the big day, or even a start and retirement if you get into difficulties?

RR thanks for that perspective; Two Oceans has been the only run where I have not had some kind of impediment this year (I'm not counting hills in that category). At breakfast yesterday I spotted a woman wearing a black and white Pontypridd Roadents vest (correct spelling); it reminded me of you :) 

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Thats brilliant lowrez. This story feels like it should be made into a film...
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    How do we know that Dannirr isn't in on the joke, though, I wonder? I yelled "LOWREZ" across the central reservation during one of the MK switchbacks because I saw some bloke wearing a Comrades cap and shirt and there wasn't even a flicker of recognition. 
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Becca - I shook that other blokes hand after the finish and called him "Comrade", got a massive grin from him! My cap was 90th anniversary unlike his, the one with the map on the underside of the peak and the 90 in the logo. Was he also wearing the 2015 orange and yellow technical T; that was my top? PS I am Dannirr!

Thanks Marty: Chariots of Perspire? :)

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    This is getting to be like something out of the Twilight Zone.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    This identity crisis brings back a funny non-running episode to mind; many years ago I worked on the ground floor of a massive building but everyone knew everyone else. Ray was on my team. Jim was the security guard out front; we would walk past Jim and nod; he never asked to see our passes, we all knew each other so well. One lunch I went out, nodded at Jim, got the usual big smile back. On my return Jim was all very at attention and correct on the front door checking everyone's passes. I attempted to stroll past as usual but he stood in my way. "Can I see your pass please sir"? He said very correctly moving his eyes to the right. I didn't catch on. "But its me Jim" I smiled back "dontcha know me"? He again asked for my pass shifting his eyes even more urgently side ways which finally made me click; his boss was in the foyer and Jim had jumped into the full role he was meant to execute. I apologised and explained I had left my pass in my desk accidentally; if he'd let me in I could bring it out. He let me in but handed me his kiosk phone "could you ring someone in your office to come out and verify your identity please sir" he asked. I rang Ray, moments later Ray opened the door to our offices and yelled across the foyer pointing directly at me "I have never seen that man before in my life" and promptly went back inside. We all virtually collapsed with laughter; my sides are aching now recalling this. Jim's boss allowed me into the building...
  • Options
    jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, that's what they call snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!  I like it, commiserations on MK but well done on the lateral thinking.  A lot to read through since I last posted.

I'm back today from a brief sojourn in Palermo where I've been sampling the delights of the city including spleen and lung sandwiches, don't worry they were cooked.  I have yet to get on the scales as they back into a corner every time I go in the bathroom.  It was not all hard work however and I did find time to look at a pair of trainers through a shop window and that's almost as good as a long run.   I slipped out for an 8 miler before breakfast on a couple of mornings but as breakfast was mainly cake I'm not sure what good it did.

I have a sore knee again which I think is down to a combination of all the walking round town and the constant getting up from tables.  I will try a run tomorrow.

Good to see everyone is OK
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Lowrez -  indeed you may be Dannirr.  And I am Spartacus. 
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous news Lowrez, I'm quite amazed they came back so quickly.  So you can do the same race for your 2018 qualifier and put your feet up for a few months.  I suppose with the benefit of hindsight you might have enquired earlier and avoided the stress at MK but good training all the same.  It's highly likely that your glycogen reserves were depleted from your illness.   Running up that road,
    running up that hill....with no problems! But has our Kate run the Comrades or Polly Shorts?
  • Options
    damn it Mac - I'm going to have that in my head all day now! 

do do-do       do do-do    do-do-do
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I look forward to seeing the new '130mile' column in the qualification table.

Thank for the commiserations but I hadn't expected to do well at Comrades even if I could run.  I am both currently injured in a small way and massively undertrained.  I could start Comrades and there is only one outcome which is a major injury by the time I stop or am stopped. 

I got injured badly following the 2013 Comrades and the 2016 Comrades.  These were both preceded by running Comrades with slight (2013) to significant (2016) injuries.  Both resultant injuries have taken more than a year to heal as well as the chain of healthcare professionals.  The root cause has been basically hips, glutes and hamstrings that are weak and not activating properly.  Coupled with very powerful quads, high mass and the ability to push on when the body is falling apart.  It's a Spitfire engine in a Cessna airframe. It would just be stupid of me to start, DNF and get massively injured and take another year in rehab.

It is hard for me to decide to kill this dream, particularly as I want to get my Green Number. But dreams have to either be realised or die somehow.  I choose to end my 2017 Comrade dream now and choose to carry on with my Green Number dream.  Instead I will focus to qualification at the Soweto Marathon (438m course ascent; 1750m elevation) in November with a time in line with what I feel I can achieve.