Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    SS.  Sounds a bit of a mare re the pen...hope they can sort it...will look at the video on my next revision break....now back to taxation
  • Options
    So have just phoned up and someone is looking into it. Fingers crossed. Not very efficient :'(
  • Options
    I made a couple of small donations before I realised that I needed to set up a page...they didn't transfer over..but luckily I noticed early on
  • Options
    The main annoyance is that I have actually emailed about this 3 times. At no point did I realise or was told I needed a page set up. I went to the charity page and paid as I wasn't able to do it off my own profile page. They still have the money :/
  • Options
    And now very efficient. Have traced my payment and because I paid before the cut off she will update my pen to C and has sent email to 2 others over there to do that. Am now a happy snail. 
    I seem to be rubbish with computers. I really don't know how I managed to do it all wrong. Think Lowrez even told me how to do it.
    New Years resolution - take a computer course :)
  • Options
    Glad it's sorted.. be nice to see some friendly faces in pen c
  • Options
    Yes. Getting close now
  • Options
    Does anyone know about the sweeper bus...I presume it takes you to the end..but is there a few of them...if you get picked up early on are you on the bus all day or does it head straight to the finish when it's filled up
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    Seren nos -  there are many sweeper buses, and they try tempt you to get in.  Resist at all costs.  Once aboard, they deface your number and take to you to the finish, but only once they are full.  The bus may stay on the roadside for a long time before it leaves.  This is from a report I read a few years ago.  But don't worry about it - you will not be using it. 
  • Options
    There is a 95% chance I will be on one....but I do want to start to enjoy the atmosphere...will take travel tablets with me ...I will be back next year for the medal :)
  • Options
    Seren - have you had your cortisone injection yet. If theres anybody who could get round with your limited training its you. But you sound like you're being positive with whatever this year may bring you. 
  • Options
    The injection in Thursday...got a cracking week lined up this week...two fillings Tomorrow.. then exam Wednesday.. injection in hip Thursday and then exam Friday.... :)
  • Options
    Southern Snail: well done for pursuing that CC pen.

seren, what a week! Hope it all works out okay.

Legs a little stiff after yesterday but not bad. Ran in to work okay and then back home (slower on the way home!) this evening, over Crystal Palace hill in both directions. Rest day tomorrow other than cycling to work and back.
  • Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Mr Z - on Thursday afternoon there are a couple of events organised by the International Comrades ambassadors - a group run from the Hilton (3pm?) and a reception at the Hilton in the early evening (around £15 for entry paid at the door - free nibbles - cash bar) usually attended by former winners of the race (Bruce Fordyce is usually one of the guests).
  • Options
    Excellent, thanks SD, I'll definitely be attending that   :)

Seren, I have my fingers crossed that the injection works for you. If anyone can tough-out comrades it's you. Good luck with exams and fillings! 
  • Options
    today's small tapir 

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Hope I caught everything since the last update :)

Hotels
    Belaire Suites - Terry48, Running Rodent, Odeon1085, caashford, matt brooker, Bike It, Debra Bourne, Mr Zuvai (till Fri), Dannirr
    Hilton - seren nos, lambkin, lowrez
    City Lodge - Becca7, Southern Snail, marty74, Slow Duck, Matt..
    Elangeni & Maharani - Mango-Chillie
    Out at Uhmlanga – Mac3

Flights
    Air France - Terry48, lowrez(arr.Fri13:15)
    Emirates - Becca7, Mr Zuvai, Debra Bourne(arr.Thu16:45.depMon), Running Rodent, Southern Snail, caashford(arr.Thu16:25.depTue)
    South African - marty74
    BA - Mango-Chillie(Dep.May31), seren nos (arr.Thu.am), Slow Duck
    Lufthansa – Mac3(Arr.Thu.late morning)

?15:00 Thursday International Comrades Ambassadors group run from the Hilton
    Mr Zuvai

?Early Evening Thursday International Comrades Ambassadors Reception at the Hilton around £15 for entry paid at the door - free nibbles - cash bar - usually attended by former winners of the race - Bruce Fordyce is usually one of the guests
    Mr Zuvai, Slow duck
    07:30 Friday Bus Tour starring the legendary
     - Running Rodent, Dannirr, marty74
    08:45 Friday Bus Tour - seren nos+Mr sn, Mr Zuvai, Southern Snail, Mango-Chillie
    07:30 Saturday Bus Tour - lowrez

08:00 Saturday North Beach
    and Mugg & Bean afterwards
    Debra Bourne, caashford, Southern Snail+Mr SS, Becca7, Matt.., Dannirr, seren nos+Mr sn, Running Rodent, marty74+friend, matt brooker, Terry48, Mr Zuvai, Mango-Chillie, Mac3, Slow Duck

05:30 Sunday Comrades
    PenA - WarrenK78, caashford, Odeon1085
    PenB - Matt.., Mac3, marty74, Peter R
    PenC - becca7, lowrez, Southern Snail, seren nos, Mr Zuvai
    PenD - Debra Bourne, Mango-Chillie
    PenG - Mango-Chillie, Slow Duck, Running Rodent

09:00 Monday Mugg & Bean Breakfast
    Just turn up from 09:00 onwards; nothing overly formal it’s a café with a wonderful menu with a heap of UKish Comrades runners descending upon it wearing their UK T-Shirts or the Comrades goody bag one or indeed anything they damn well please, group photo around 11:00 then go for a stroll on the beach front; it’ll be good for your legs, even splash your toes in the Indian Ocean. Bruce’s after party at 12:30 is easily walkable or just hang at Mugg & Bean etc…
    caashford, Debra Bourne, Becca7, lowrez, matt brooker, Slow Duck, Southern Snail

12:30 Monday Bruce Fordyce After Party
    California Dreaming Restaurant, 150 O. R Tambo Parade, Dairy Beach, Durban, 12:30 till 17:00 R550 per person. A celebratory conclusion of the race relaxing with athletes, family, friends and personalities sharing race highlights trials and tribulations. Live entertainment, buffet lunch, cash bar
    caashford, Mac3
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Another close shave: at quarter to 11 today I finally opened Sunday's e-mail from Comrades on data verification thinking it was yet another "please review this and update it if not correct" only to discover the statements with buttons:-

Please Click the appropriate link to confirm your entry data: I Agree / I Disagree

You have until 12pm(midday) 09 May 2017 to confirm your data.

Yikes! Did I click the "Agree" link smartish, they are an hour ahead, just made it!

• Options
    Oops! I was so tired over the weekend I honestly can't remember whether or not I clicked it previously. Just did it now. Does anyone know if it's a problem if it was NOT clicked by the deadline, so long as the details were correct?
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I doubt that they will mind.  There must be loads of people who ignore the email or forget to respond in time.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I was one of those that overlooked the need to positively click in time!, but I checked the start list and I'm still there (you too Debra!).

Question - to previous up runners.  What's the likely starting temperature in Durban?  Do you normally need a top to discard?  There is a lot of hanging about I'm sure and no harm to keep warm I expect.  One useful tip I picked up was seeing people have a piece of card to sit on rather than standing all the time in the starting pen.  
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Last time I had no need for another top and I was wearing the thinnest vest I could find.
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Usually 10 or 11C at the start. That said, it was 17C at the start of 2013 up run - that was a major exception!
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Didn't we have some kind of "sack" to wear at the start of the down run provided by Comrades in the expo bag last year? Not specifically these but similar

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. You are right and gloves too.   I decided to wear an adidas top that was too big for me and I was happy to pass it to a lady on the side of the road when it eventually warmed up.
  • Options
    Ooh definitely taper madness and still 4 weeks to go... so, spare hoody, gloves
    What time do we need to be in the pens? Presume its all walking distance from our hotels.
  • Options
    AndyLidAndyLid ✭✭✭
    Hi all. I've just outed myself as a lurker in one of the Spring Marathon threads, and it seemed churlish to keep on hiding on here.
    Many thanks for all of the advice that you've all been offering so far, as this is my first Comrades its all been invaluable learning.
    Just to add to the list, I'm flying out with Air France on 26th May, staying at the Hilton (from Fri June 2nd), will be trying to get to the Park Run at the Saturday with my 9 year old (if I can get her out of bed!) and am in Pen B.
    Thanks again
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Welcome AndyLid,  I'm also on Air France to Jo'burg on the 26th.  See you in Paris (or maybe Heathrow if that's where you start out?).

Sadly, I'm not running this year due to not qualifying after some major surgery in January rather spoiled my training.  You must be in great shape for pen B.
  • Options
    Lowrez.. I'm in for the mugg and bean Monday. :)