Comments

• Options
    Very positive lowrez..
  • Options
    great news lowrez - good running! 

real positive news on your hip Seren 
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Nice one lowrez. With that kind of pace, you definitely won't be seeing the guy holding the gun at halfway :)
  • Options
    Debra - hope the sciatic pain disappears soon

Lowrez - Well done on your half. Great pacing.

Seren - glad you're back to running. well done and good luck tomorrow.

I also did a hot run this morning. I was totally worn out the whole way round :/

At the moment the weather looks like its going to be a warm day from start to finish in South Africa :)
  • Options
    Lowrez: great running! Thanks for the watch offer (mine is well out of warranty). I may well say yes - it would give me more time to decide on an alternative.

Southern Snail: "At the moment the weather looks like its going to be a warm day from start to finish in South Africa "  - I fail to see why this deserves a happy face. I was hoping for about five degrees cooler, maybe with a little light rain!

No sciatic pain once i finished the run - I'll find out more tomorrow. Really, really hoping for no pain on the way into work or back out again. That's going to be warm running as well.

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Circa 2 miles to go and I'm storming home...

I'm also storming up the Race4Charity Chart;just made 11th place
  • Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Lowrez - great array of wigs you have

Debra - I was actually hoping for 10 degrees cooler at the start

Are you all absolutely sure I can get a champion chip at the expo if I didn't order it. I'm now into worry mode.
  • Options
    Lowrez - a corset?  :) I'm really impressed.

SS - I'm pretty sure you can. They check everyone's chip when you pick up your number to make sure they're working. So there must be an option of getting a new one if it isn't.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    The reason you did not spot Slow Duck lowrez, is because he's not slow.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Lowrez- that's such a great photo! I'm a bit worried about the rear view though with your skirt billowing up! You look very composed approaching the finish.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Mac3 - I am really pleased someone with a decent camera and steady hand caught this one. Don't worry about the "lift" I am not a Scotsman! There was appropriate in character attire beneath. I had a much more revealing Marilyn Monroe moment a mile or so later climbing the hill to the finish, very swirly breeze!

Dannirr - I met SD last year at Mugg & Bean and was watching out for his club colours. I arrived an hour before the gun but despite a cruise around the starting ground did not locate him - it is a theme he and I have - we have never met at events despite, in theory, being quite conspicuous.

RR - I was amazed at how well my garment fitted; it actually bestowed me a waist, which I haven't had in years, and improved my posture no end... maybe I should wear it for Comrades?

SS - I don't know what you mean? That's my own hair, in all the photos! I am certain you can get a chip - they test all the chips at the expo whether included in your pack from new, or, if you have brought yours back for the nth time. The slogan; "no chip, no time, no result, no excuses", means they have to be able to provide replacements at the expo, and, sales to those who have lost theirs etc. If you are in any further doubt e-mail info to confirm. At Two Oceans I did exactly this; had ticked the box to say I had a chip, but discovered it was different from the Comrades one, so I had to purchase one of theirs. It is a very common occurrence at  these events.

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - I'm gutted to have missed you. What an outfit! I did see someone in a black and white bodysuit that covered themselves completely and I hovered around in front of him in my Comrades hat case it was you... ...obviously it wasn't...
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    lowrez  - I'm fortunate enough to have the opposite experience with Slow Duck.  In addition to Comrades, I ran into him in Boston.  Twice!
  • Options
    I thought you had to pay for a chip on the entry got unless you could put the details of your personal chip on...but I could just be making it up as my mind is a bit confused at the moment trying to get everything done
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying all the banter and conversations here. Pleased to see that seren is making a good recovery and that most of you appear to be well on track for a good Comrades.  Lowrez, if you decide to wear your latest 'outfit' you should be quite easy to spot on the day! :) 

I'm a bit despondent about not having made the qualifier and now feel somewhat of an outsider.  Nevertheless, I shall still enjoy the day and look forward to meeting many of you in Durban, at Mugg & Bean or elsewhere.  I'll be flying to SA this Friday and stopping off in the Cape until the Thursday before Comrades.

Stay safe, avoid injuries and enjoy you hard earned taper time!
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Seren, I had to buy one at the expo a few years ago, after mislaying a previous one - there was no trouble with that. I'm sure you will be just fine. Get to the expo as soon as you can, so that you can put that worry behind you.
  • Options
    Seren - the problem is that I simply can't remember that far back :) Am about to email them now

Terry - definitely not an outsider. I know you've done this race before (not sure how often) and been on the forum for as many years too. Yours and everyones help and knowledge is invaluable to newbies like me and old timers too. I'm sure we'll meet in SA. Don't forget you've had a tough start to the year. Get in an early qualifier for next year.

Can't believe we're flying out in just 8 days. Time for a few lists I think.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Did someone say lists?

Fido2Dogs said:

Don't worry about the pen you're in
    Do get as much sleep and rest as you can beforehand
    Don't fall over
    No, seriously, the catseyes are inches high, the streets are full of slippery binbags etc and your fellow runners' feet are a menace - DON'T FALL OVER
    Do keep a positive mental attitude come what may
    Don't eat anything but the blandest, most familiar food on Fri & Sat
    Do join the FB groups. Yeah, all of them. Go on.
    Do run a shedload of up and downhills (doesn't have to be fast) to work out what's most efficient for you personally. About 1% of the course is flat.
    Do spend a few half-hours in the sauna (if you can) in the week or two before going out, unless you already live somewhere warm. (An Ian Sharman tip which worked a treat for McHilly & me).
    Don't fixate on getting a particular medal or time first time out. It's OK to have some time in mind but it's a long day and stuff can go wrong that you can't control, and you have to keep positive regardless.
    Do stay in front of Vlam Pieterse's pace group ("bus"). If you're *with* them, do as they suggest. If you're behind them - RUN!
    Run your own race - the pace groups (buses) can be useful as markers but in reality they are a big crowd which makes getting stuff at aid stations, and running your own pace, difficult. And the "bus drivers" pacemakers are only human and some get it wrong. (Vlam is safe though).
    Book accommodation fairly early but don't worry too much about flights.
    Practice running "within yourself" aka slowly. If you can do 30 hilly miles on road in the warm in training at pace X that's a good indication for a target race pace.
    Don't worry about carrying food and drink, the aid stations are very close together.
    Don't worry if you don't sleep the night before.
    Do be organised and get to the start pens well in time.
    Consider dropping your kit bag off at the Expo instead of at the start - can save a bit of hassle (not a big deal though).
    Do check you're not allergic to your sunblock before race day.
    Don't join the huge registration queue at the Expo (unless you are registered as a local and belong to an SA running club) - join the queue for "Internationals" which will be 2-7 people long
    Do do the course tour and bring something to put in the pot at the Ethembeni School
    Don't expect to be able to do anything much after the race 
    Do put a bit of money aside to cover sports massage and physio treatment in training
    Don't worry if you don't run over marathon distance before the big day
    Do learn Shosholoza
    Don't expect it to be a super exciting experience for any non-runners you take with you - it's fine to buy them off with something else and go on your own
    er....

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    SS / seren  - this year you had to buy a championchip as part of the registration when you registered. It's a separate item on the receipt and you get it as part of the registration pack. plus there is a fall back of  purchasing at the expo if all else fails! 

Seren - it's good to see you behaving here and causing online drama and poorly spelt swearing! haha  :p 

I'm getting seriously excited! about Comrades now! 

My tapir has been terrible - with all my work deadlines i've hardly run at all! At least i'll be well rested!  :/

Fantastic lists lowrez 

For those meeting for Dinner on Thursday   - i am happy to wait for airport runs and late arrivals. Is the restaurant at the Belaire Suites any good to eat at? 
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I find the restaurant at the Elangeni, a short walk from Belaire, (550 meters per google maps) offers better choices and their layout works much better for a group. Belaire food is ok but service is slow and choices quite limited.
  • Options
    excellent, thank you 
  • Options
    the tapir madness is gathering momentum! 

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Madness indeed

• Options
    PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    hi everyone.  I thought i would pop in and say hi and i hope everyone is well.  Terry i saw you arent running. Sorry to hear that, i think you are still going though?  if so, i hope you have a great day anyway. Lowrez are you planning another perfectly timed run?
    Debra i think you said your watch is broken?  You are more than welcome to borrow my watch (see below). I got it second hand last year for comrades and i dont wear it day to day as my regular watch works fine, it just didnt have the battery life for comrades.  I can post it to you if you want?
    Image result for garmin old triathlon watch long battery life
    Garmin Forerunner 910XT In Depth Review | DC Rainmaker
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    PG3! Come with us and get your back-to back! :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    PG3, yes, sadly I'm not running but will be there for a nice holiday instead. Sounds like you're also not running?
    Debra, the Garmin 910xt has enough life even for 12hr plodders like me - very kind of PG3 to offer.
    S Snail, yes, I have 14 medals but I'm the guy who crossed the line one minute late to miss a 15th last year.
  • Options
    I used to have a 910XT until someone stole it from the gym but battery life is circa 17 hours.

terry - that must have been gutting. Are you going back next year for your 15th?

Read the list above. Might go for a sauna tomorrow. Never did get round to bikram yoga
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Snail, a medal after my 70th b'day is a long held ambition. I hope to try but the jury will be out for a while pending the possibility of further surgery in a few months. Getting a bit old for this is the real problem but I'm trying to convince myself otherwise!
  • Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Lowrez,thanks for the check list, didn't realise you could dump your bag at the expo although would be a shame to miss the frantic search for the international bag drop at the start area! Impressive pic also :smile:

Summer has arrived in Ireland, it was ~22C after work so I got in a 17k jog as guess that will prob be the kick off temp in Durban on Sun week.