Options

Comrades 2017

Comments

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    jkissane - hope that's not the temp we start at!!! I reckon closer to 10 degrees :)
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Closer to 10C is more like average at the start. It was 17 at the start of the 2013 and that was said by all, including Comrades organizers, to have been the hottest in memory - hence a record drop out rate that year. I hope that doesn't replay this year!
  • Options
    Are there timing mats along the course for supporters to have an idea where we are
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Yes there are mats. Comrades usually put out a tracker that feeds into facebook. That fb link is usually only provided just a few days before the race and can be found on Comrades fb page. Also, for a nominal price supporters can usually sign up to a service that will send a text as their registered runner crosses each mat. I think that will only work if your supporter has acquired a local sim card/number. Details are usually in the Comrades programme with your goodie bag. I think there will also be a tracker via Comrades web page - this one seems to sometimes get overwhelmed and 'report' a bit late.
  • Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm just expecting the worst or something, apologies for my pessimism! Looking at the YR forecast for the next few days it's ~16-18C around about start time:

https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/KwaZulu-Natal/Durban/hour_by_hour.html
  • Options
    Good old Facebook. Neither my husband or I have an account. Will look at the other option but wasn't planning on getting a local SIM card  :/

• Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    My "fans" have tracked me via the website both years so far and found it enough. I have done the facebook thing both times and had absolutely no posts from it at all - all that effort in thinking up hilariously witty remarks to be posted at each checkpoint wasted! I see there is an "app" this year too - does that do anything useful for this?
  • Options
    Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    PG3, that's a fantastic offer! I do need to get a new watch but hate making purchases in a hurry. I've sent you a message.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Don't know if its anything to do with me being from up north but I've needed nothing more than my gossamer thin vest at the start these past 2 years, its felt positively balmy each time not cold irrespective of meteorological temperature. 
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

I've dropped my kit bag at the expo both years I've run, one less thing to stress about on the morning, another tip is to write your bag ref on the back of your running number so that you don't need to force your addled mind to remember it when you go to collect it at the end. One nuance of doing this though is to ensure you pin the number you write it on the back of to your front otherwise when you take a peek at it, it will be most confusing when the number seems to have vanished.

That's another good point for first timers too, you get two numbers, one for your front and one for your back, not wearing one on your back is a disqualifiable offence!

• Options
    Erk - current weather forecast is 22 degrees, windy, and rain. RAIN?!
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Don't worry, we've got it covered

• Options
    I like rain for running...not for supporting though....so 6 mile league race last night...took it slowly a 11:30 ish min miling....and managed to complete it so positives....a few negatives in the fact it wasn't pain free and I couldn't have ran any faster...the downhills seemed to trigger some pain in my hip...but i can walk this morning so nothing too serious....I bet the weather is hot...I can't do heat. :):)
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Good news nothing too drastic befell you seren - you are bound to have some irks coming out of this, lets hope they are all minor.

Managing the heat on the day is key, use water, use ice, walk, keep doing internal diagnostics to make sure you feel OK, drink but don't over do it - you don't want hyponatremia!

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Debra - I hope that that sciatica has gone.  I had something like that recently with piriformis tightness.  

Seren - that's positive about the league race.  It's possible to prepare for the heat.   Most do this by visiting a sauna.  I've mentioned previously that my preference is hot yoga but I've also been wearing long sleeved tops for running on warm days.

lowrez - that half is encouraging, 2:10 dressed like that is not too shabby.  Obviously streamlined by the corset. Perhaps you should have worn that at MK.

Matt - better to have the tough runs in the heat now, as hopefully this will make the heat in SA more tolerable.  Better if we get a cool day though and certainly I wouldn't want 2013's weather again.

Caashford - well done on some great results and I hope that the 100k went well.

RR - too early to be looking at the weather forecast.

Terry - I hope you do manage another Comrades medal.

Training hasn't gone so well this year with one niggle after another and my pace has suffered.  However it's been nice in the last week or so to be running smoothly for a change and that's the most important thing.  I've got a 5 mile race tonight which will give me an indication of how far behind I am compared to previous years.  
  • Options
    I'm normally a shorts and vest in winter in the mountains in the middle of the night kind of girl......Only ever run in shorts and never ever in a long sleeved top....so heat does get to me....last year in Lanzarote I kept on filling my bra with icecubes   ...worked but glad it was getting dark so wasnt too obvious  :)

• Options
    well I looked like a beetroot after just a 4 mile run this morning :/
    Have just been for a sauna. That was a long half hour and I am now seriously red!! but strangely after showering etc I feel quite refreshed. I reminded me of my 16 mile run in Singapore earlier in the year. That was tough.

Seren - well done on the run. Keep positive.

Becca - good luck for the race tonight.

So there's live results on the website is there? Might also turn on Find my Phone so my husband can see me that way too.
  • Options
    caashfordcaashford ✭✭✭
    100k National Championships all done, and definitely no more long runs for me, finish time of 07:33:52, 7th overall and fastest "non-national" team runner.

http://my6.raceresult.com/55348/results?lang=en#2_432B98

Stomach issues started to play a part, not being sick, just a real feeling off. By the 3rd turn 75k 05:30 I had really hoped at this point, I could just keep my pace and come in under 07:30 "its only 25k in two hours"...

A significant difference between the supported National Athletes - drinks handed to them, labels on bottles, personal nutrition, and everyone else (flapping around on table looking for drinks / food etc). The winning times are just amazing, but give you perspective on what true ultra endurance athletes can do. They looked as fresh at the start as they did at the finish!

Two weeks does not seem like a long time until Comrades, but I have been recovering well, and really focusing on the refuelling. Looking forward to meeting up with you guys soon.

Friday Night Dinner - Shall we all try and meet in one of the hotels on the coast for dinner? I saw that the American contingent have booked in for Spiga for the evening, so we could always crash the party!
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Great worked caash. Recover well and i am sure you will have a fantastic run again this year.
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    Taper time caashy! Amazing the miles you put in, at the speed you move and the placings you achieve :). I think it just needs a brave soul to book somewhere and make a list... I am otherwise occupied which is why I'm not stepping up to the plate - ha - plate! Get it :)
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    SS - you probably know more about mobile devices than me - but did you say you weren't bothering getting a local sim? I never have either. I'm with idmobile just cos I bought my phone there, so I am probably not very phone savvy, when I got to Dubai my lovely provider shut off my supply because I had hit some roaming limit, which probably wasn't too expensive because I had it capped, so when I got to Cape Town I had no means of contacting home on it, even though I downloaded their app off the hotel wifi and loaded more cash in after switching roaming off, I didn't get an invite off a local cell provider to join any network either - its probably just me but my moby has never worked in SA apart from hotel wifis.
  • Options
    Lowrez - I wouldn't bank on me being too mobile savvy :) Am with Vodafone. They do data roaming in SA for £5 a day. Was just going to do that whilst we were in Durban. 

Has anyone here just used their own phone and data before and any experience of signal?
  • Options
    SS - I'm on the same plan as you, I just suck up the £5 a day and it works fine. The only problems I've had have been getting a signal at the finish, but I think that's just a capacity issue with so many people there and would be the same with any phone.
  • Options
    RR - yes that often happens at mass participation events. I shall just do that then and will put find my phone on so husband can see that. Won't drain my battery but it will his but have a portable charger.
  • Options
    DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    I just use my phone with my US is card.  Works well and cost is not terrible
  • Options
    lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭
    When I ran the Cape Town marathon as my 2015 Comrades qualifier (ha - such drama - I clocked 4:59) I was with a different phone provider and that worked OK with a UK sim.
  • Options
    As I'm in South Africa for 3 weeks before moving on I will look at. Sa sim
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Seren, buy a local sim on arrival at the airport. Otherwise far more hassle and legalities if you go into an off airport supplier. Easy to find in airport - choice of suppliers. I use MTN which works well.
  • Options