Options

Chicago Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Hi Big Bertie. 
    All was going swimmingly until I had a slight calf twinge (I'm a martyr to my calfs) so I've been sensible, taken a week off and I've run twice since. Everything was going to plan and this was just a minor blip with plenty of time to recover. 
    In full planning mode, picking out a supporting route for MrsO. 
    Happy running, team. 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    ElliotWorth. I know of quite a few people doing the 5k. 
    Itll be a lovely little leg stretch which I'll run at the back of the field. 
    Have you seen the medal and scarf too
  • Options
    Orbutt said:
    ElliotWorth. I know of quite a few people doing the 5k. 
    Itll be a lovely little leg stretch which I'll run at the back of the field. 
    Have you seen the medal and scarf too
    Yeah, nice bit of bling and ideal way to stretch the legs at an easy pace, I'll get registered for it.
  • Options

Will have a look at the 5k. Not arriving until Friday evening so don't want to cram too much in on Saturday (Expo is normally enough!) but do like to have a bit of a trot the day before....

Orbutt - sensible with the calf; a few days off now won't do you any harm whatsoever.

• Options
    I'm running Chicago this year, first time in the windy city! I'm not doing the 5k at that price, seems a bit of a rip off tbh. Will find my own little 5k on the Saturday :) Up to 14 miles in my training so far and can't complain how its going so far. Hopefully this thread will become a bit more active as it gets closer.
  • Options
    not as much training as i should have been .... just ticking over. Target was to improve on this year's 3.08 in London .... the way things have gone so far it'll be a great run if I can better that. Still, I managed 21 miles on Sunday, so hopefully I can get me finger out and make sure I have at least the bare minimum to run c.7 min miles for 26 miles. Attempting sub3 may be a bit of a tall order. Main thing is to get my 6* Medal and then hit the beers :smiley:

Good luck all, you've 6 weeks to really make it count, tick those sessions off yer lists.
  • Options

Didn't think I'd have to pay to do the 5k! How naïve of me!

I've been up to 20ish miles for the last few weeks - this week I'm adding in some marathon pace miles towards the end of the session... oh joy!

Jimbob - is Chicago 6 of 6? Well done if it is! This is my number 5 with Tokyo still to go. Applied the last three years but no luck. Hopefully next year will be the one!

• Options
    Big Bertie ..... a big group of us have signed up for the 5k and then we are stumbling off for a brunch somewhere after.

Chicago is 6 of 6, already did London10(&15,16,17), Berlin13, Boston15, Tokyo16 and NY16.

Tokyo is open for entry now if anyone wants to play:
    https://onetokyo.org/english/entry/agreement
  • Options

I've entered for Tokyo again next year but annoyingly they've tightened up the 'qualifying' time which means I'm in the general ballot rather than the 'sub-elite' (or whatever it's called!) ballot...

• Options
    How are we all doing, less than 3 weeks to go! Just starting my 3 week taper off 70 mpw plan, glad to have got through these last few weeks. BigBertie - also went into the Tokyo ballot just in case as it would represent my 6th and final world major.
  • Options

So we're in the same boat then! Tokyo would be 6 of 6 for me too (assuming nothing prevents me from completing Chicago next month!)

Tokyo ballot result is around 25th Sep I think so fingers crossed for that...

I topped out at around 65miles for a couple of weeks but back down to 55 last week and will steadily reduce for the last three weeks...

In theory the hard work is done now, although I always find the taper to be mentally tougher than the hard training weeks!

So what are we all targeting for the big day?

• Options
    My last long run was rather unpleasant and I was really glad it was over .
    Looking forward to the race - well, the first few hours anyway.
    I'll be running towards the back of the field and targeting 4:09
    I shall also probably singing the "Oh this shit, is way too hard song.
    We wouldn't do it if it was easy
  • Options
    Yeah, I find tapering is when it all starts to become more real - especially as we have a bit more time on our hands from now!! I just hope the journey over is smooth, and it would be nice if the temperatures there simmered down a bit! I'm aiming for 2:59:59, a first sub-3...although ideally nearer 2:58 so I don't cut it too fine for my own sanity. @orbutt - the long runs are what gets us over the line - it'll all be worth it I hope!
  • Options
    First time at Chicago for me. Training was going great until I tweaked my right hammy in last night's tempo run. What luck! It was practically my last speedwork before I start my taper on the weekend. Still, it's not so serious. I'm hoping for sub-3 if I can heal up the hamstring in the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    @lambkin - get some magnesium lotion on it, you still have plenty of time to heal.
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Lambkin... you still have over two weeks so hopefully you'll have time to fully mend! Take it easy as nothing much to be gained now in terms of fitness and a lot to lose!

How was the Kent Coastal Half?

• Options
    Fortunately the hamstring didn't hurt much during last night's easy run and today I can't feel it at all. I've got a strides workout on Saturday so that'll be a good test for it.

Big Bertie, the Kent Coastal Half went well for me thanks. I ran a 1:24 (by the skin of my teeth) which was a couple of minutes faster than I thought I'd do. How'd it go for you? Were you put off by the hills? :smile:
  • Options

Glad the leg is holding up. Sounds like you've managed it well and it shouldn't cause you on problem in a couple of week's time!

Enjoyed the Half (the prize money for winning was particularly welcome!) Not too hilly but I was a couple of mins slower than I'd normally be. Bit chaotic though Broadstairs trying to avoid other runners, pedestrians, dogs...

I've got another half this weekend but won't be racing it; just steady pace with the last few miles at MP.

• Options

As we're less than two weeks away can we start getting ourselves unnecessarily worried about the weather conditions??

Depending on your weather website of choice, I've currently got:

Max: 21, Min: 8

SW 11 km/h, Gusts: 26 km/h

1% chance of rain.

Given the 7:30 start time and the mid-30s they've been having the last week or so, I'd take that...

• Options
    Compared to the temperatures in the 90s they've had recently, I'll take that too
  • Options

Max: 25, Min: 13

SW 35 km/h, Gusts: 63 km/h

0% chance of rain.

Plenty of time for that wind to change.....

• Options
    evening all .... registration document PDF thingys are arriving by email today .... add your screen name and bib number and we can create a list below:
    Bib       Screen Name
    1154    The Jimbob

• Options

Max: 25, Min: 14

SW 22 km/h, Gusts: 46 km/h

5% chance of rain.

No e-mail yet.....

• Options
    Looking too warm for my liking, the breeze might help cool things down a bit...
    #5397 for me.
  • Options
    I'm 3561. I don't mind temps up to 20C but I'm hoping the windy city won't be too windy.
  • Options
    The 07:30 start will help... should be closer to the min than max temp for the start at least!
  • Options
    Still no e-mail. Anyone else still waiting?
  • Options
    Big Bertie. 
    Same here. My mate Noddy is in the same position, so he emailed the organisers.
    They said all of the emails had been sent out but not to worry, just go to the booth at the expo and they'll sort you out.
    I've emailed them too.
    In the mean time, if you want to know your bib number, download the app and add yourself to the tracking - this will show your number. Jimbob sussed this one out.

Speaking of which
    Orbutt - bib number 33303
  • Options
    Ok - thanks.

Bib       Screen Name
    1154    The Jimbob
    5397    ElliotWorth

3561    Lambkin

33303  Orbutt

3253   Big Bertie

Anyone else??

• Options
    Hiya just found this thread, i'm just hoping to get round Chicago as picked up plantar faciitus after VLM its been awful.

Anyway its going to be messy but looking forward to it in a weird way

Looks like the weather forecast has cooled a little bit since last week.

I'm flying out Thursday morning, have a good run everyone!