Options

Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    You doing a Pete style weekend double then Simon.  Not fancy doing a parkrun as well?
  • Options

Yeah - only doing the half as it's the LBAC club champs so it will be a good social with about 30 or so running. Also the V45 record up for grabs, although it will only now be a *2nd claim runner* record.

Unfortunately the guy who ran 2nd leg for us at Crystal Palace can't run on Saturday, so chances of winning the V40's are slim. Balls.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice one Simo. Those long reps sound soul destroying.

I clocked my lot mentioned 2k reps for one of their track sessions. Who does track session on a Monday?!You have Sunday long, Tuesday hard, to squeeze extra in there seems risky, but hey, each to their own!

I caught the thread's occasional poster @kenbro, admitting a race, track and hard sesh over 3 days! Not just any race but that Handy Cross monstrosity :)

Tough day today, aside from the 10miles over 2 runs, was basically slaved to desk from 840 to 640, smashing spreadsheets

Feel ruined.

Got this work raffle ive organised to sort tomorrow, so will try and dribble a 10miler out as a single. Won't do a second sesh this week, didn't take much recovery from Sunday and Tue's session.

Weekend is even more awkward, staying up north Sat night (gamble that didn't pay off to predict the Man Utd v City kick off time (predictably coming out the latest Sunday slot...4.30)

So long story short...Bus/Phil, fancy a Sat morn plod? Something to get the numbers up in distance, not worried about pace!

Sunday will need to be a DAY OFF. Did have a look at a few races, but all pretty much sold out, even if it was a good idea to cram one in on such a long trip!

• Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I do Saturday long, Monday and Thursday session when marathon training. Well I did last time. I'm finding the two days are great between the sessions. I've been doing the standard tues/thurs but I prefer two days between. 

Went on the treadmill tonight for 3 x 2k + 1k off 2 mins. 14 mile for the day and I'm off to sunny Spain on a stag do at 3.30am. Alarm is set for 2am so I can pootle a short run out to keep my streak going. 
  • Options
    Short run at 2am. You've got it bad mate :)
  • Options
    Stevie G said:

So long story short...Bus/Phil, fancy a Sat morn plod? Something to get the numbers up in distance, not worried about pace!

I'm open to that, I make a good plodder. I'd like to get a parkrun in somewhere along the way but can do parkrun and extend or parkrun after or in the middle.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Not for me chaps - I'm intending to race on Sunday (weather permitting!) Watlington XC rather than Andy reading - just as well given the wind and snow forecast!

Weird week this one. I did a double Tuesday, 9M off-road Wed, then an easy 5 ish to the train yesterday. Was hoping to go out at lunch today, but am still hungover from last night's works Christmas party and have a bad case of CBA! Will try to do 1 flat 5.5M later, so that the race and warm-up on Sunday get me to over 40 for the week (I know, I know, shouldn't focus on the numbers!)

Matt - you are a nut job! Have fun in the sun!

• Options

They were pretty soul destroying tbh SG!

Couldn't Matt have paid homage to his fellow hardy northerner, Ron Hill, with a run around the terminal building to keep the streak going?

• Options
    Stevie G said:

Tough day today, aside from the 10miles over 2 runs, was basically slaved to desk from 840 to 640, smashing spreadsheets

Feel ruined.

Makes me think back to my History GCSE and studying the factory act of 1833. At least they didn't have to do spreadsheets, can you imagine.
    • no child workers under nine years of age
    • employers must have an age certificate for their child workers
    • children of 9-13 years to work no more than nine hours a day
    • children of 13-18 years to work no more than 12 hours a day
    • children are not to work at night
    • two hours schooling each day for children
    • four factory inspectors appointed to enforce the law
    And these were the reforms  :D
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I broke up my rather easy working from home
    day with a 12miler today. I had been out of action since Sunday's XC with a calf strain. It held up reasonably well today but not sure it would get me through a day in the factory. Might go for a sleep now.
  • Options
    Matt, hope you enjoyed that pootle at 2am - that's dedication to the streak :lol: enjoy the sun!

Good luck to those racing this weekend, weather looks to potentially put an end to some fast attempts. A runner I follow on instagram and Strava is looking to go sub-30 (PB 30:03) at Telford 10km this weekend, but any snow/ice will make that hard.

SG - mental fatigue is just as bad as physical! I've spent a lot of this week running models, processing results and forming graphs for a conference poster... You soon know when you've stared a screen too long.

Reg, hope the calf continues to hold up well.

So, went to the physio on Wednesday, despite not wanting to shell out another £50. Essentially a case to continue working on joint mobility, as there is nothing that appears glaringly wrong - no tight or sore areas, or knots, damage etc. He told me not to feel as though I should keep coming back to him, there's unlikely to be a magical button that will sort it out - just a case to try and manage, and do so in a way that aids recovery. He told me rest is rust :) definitely been rusting!

So went out for a run earlier today - 3.7mi at 8:12/mi for 81.4% MaxHR. Felt rather unfit! Went out and didn't care for the numbers, the aim was to run comfortably hard. Will see how the foot is later today/tomorrow and run again Sunday or Monday :)
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Reg - we certainly live in much better times! And I certainly don't miss the days of having to study!

A tasty co worker girl at work, 25 is talking about leaving to do a masters degree next year. That'd be disappointing!

I'm regularly shocked by that generation's ambition these days, all the 22-25s at work are so hungry to get on, and will make the sacrifices I never did, just bumbling through jobs that suited my sport love.

I can imagine how hard it must be to go back to education a few years on, I wouldn't fancy it.

Matt - H - re-assuring in a way. And I've been there before, realising just rest won't fix something

Knackered yesterday, 10mile morning run in the freezing cold, 1 hour of actual work, then 7 hours of syncing raffle tickets v names, doing the draw, then distributing 107 prizes (!), totalling monies, and communicating it all out. Was obliterated!

12miler today, half with Phil pre his parkrun, taking it easy catchup chat mode, half on my own at usual standard run pace. Super cold, like eye watering first half mile type cold.
    All in came out very neatly on 7.30 pace.

Setting off for the North West in a couple of hours, to at least travel up in daylight. Just hope the weather isn't as mad as they're suggesting, or I might have to camp in the car/some random nearest hotel Sunday night

Have Sunday as OFF, and Monday as off work, so hopefully it all works out well!

• Options
    DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    Good session Simon. That pyramid sounds a beast of a session.

sg - why not make a move on this girl then. Life to short to worry about getting knocked back....she is leaving anyway! Just don't talk about running. 

matt head - Telford 10k has been postponed until 7th Jan.  Too much snow.
    as such I decided to do a treadmill 5k time trial.  It came out 14.52. I think I would take that out on the road.
  • Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Gotta be worth a  try :-)

That's very quick Dean - even on a treadmill. Bit soft though ;-)

No race this morning. Woke up to 5" snow and couldn't get the car out! LSR (Long Snow Run) instead! Fun but hard work, made harder by the number of fallen trees and low hanging branches that I had to bend over double and even crawl under in places! The 12M took 1:56! 
  • Options
    Hi guys, just dropping in to say hi from NZ.

Crikey! the weather has closed in since I left. Snow!

Still, before I get carried away with stories of having to use sun block, there's the matter of having to over come the first infection I've had in years. Urk!

When it comes to snow and ice, one should consider shelving the training plan altogether until it subsides. Especially if there's a chance it's not going to last long.

I've personally experienced a whole group of us paying a penalty by trying to keep going. It was when, after a week and the snow had melted away, we had a race. We were all now carrying niggles from the previous weeks struggles and were to a man, thrashed by a runner who had never beaten any of us before.

His secret was simple. He said he looked out at the snow and ice, he said to himself, "I'm not going out running in that shit", so stayed in for the week. Fully rested and uninjured, he subsequently put the rest of us heroes to the sword.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Yeah, but he missed all the fun messing about in the snow Ric :smiley:

Another couple of hours of hard effort this afternoon - clearing our road of snow. A bit pointless, given I'm not intending driving anywhere for a few days and there is ore snow forecast, but had to show willing seeing as all the neighbours were out there! 
  • Options
    I had the joy of building snowmen today, it was the first time my girls have really seen snow.

Managed to get out for about a 7 mile slush run though, took it off-road as it seemed a lot less risky.

• Options
    PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Fantastic treadmill Dean; how much quicker than a flat road 5k do you reckon they are if you get good conditions on the road with no wind etc.?

Good perseverance Bus; you to a T :) 

Nice to hear from NZ Runner too! How's it going out there as you seemed ready to get going with some proper training before you left?

Had my return to running this weekend after 2 weeks off with a calf stain when I DNF'd at Battersea (bar the Santa Run :)). Took parkrun fairly easy and still did 19'30 so not too bad and a 5 miler steady training run today was about 7'12 pace so near to normal. Hope that's the worst of it over but both the physio and sports massuer I use urging caution as ever.
  • Options
    Dean, that's a brilliant treadmill time trial! To echo Pete, how does reflect your current road performance?

Hope you lot are making the most of the snow - not even a whiff of the stuff down here! Just some really strong winds the past couple of days.

Good work on the parkrun Pete, I take it the calf is holding up well after the return this weekend?

Pootled out another short run today, as my foot was feeling okay following the last one. 4.6mi at 7:50/mi for 82.9%MaxHR - a slightly longer, faster effort than Friday. Whilst I'm only doing a few short runs a week, I'm going to do them as comfortably-hard efforts. When the distance is back up, and back to 5 runs/week then I'll drop the intensity - hopefully it will bring some quick changes in fitness!
  • Options
    Good to see you both getting back on it. Sounds like corners have been turned. This photo show just how much snow we got here. More forecast tomorrow too - been a while since we've had this much!

• Options
    Plenty of snow for me today. As SG said, somehow I ended up doing a 6-mile warm up before parkrun yesterday (20:10 so very pleased with what started out as a steady paced run and I just picked those ahead of me one by one to move up from 30/40th to 13th by the end) so those 9 knocked off most of my weekend miles. Had planned an 11 but didn't fancy the drive out to where it was planned so just ran locally.  Odd how I wasn't the first footprints in the snow: damn dog walkers!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Dean, 1)i'll try, and if not have a couple more "Leads" :)

Nice treadmill work indeed. Shame you can't do a proper 5k straight away to compare. Might not be that much different.

Just back from the latest United trip. Strange scenario that the north, despite huge warnings, seemed pretty fine, bar the freezing cold, whereas the south was a disaster zone!

Still, just made it back from Altrincham (post tram) - a 170mile drive in 3hours 20!

That's better than a lot of trips in good light and weather!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ps day off work tomorrow, so look forward to a long lie in, and will probably settle for a single run, just 4-6miles, depending on what sort of grip the roads have, bearing in mind I ruined my XC shoes last weekend! May have to do as many laps of the park as I can mentally deal with,

However, as per Ric (welcome back by the way!), having hit my 3,000 mile marker, and no definite plans now until 2018, it won't hurt for an easy week.

Can't see the session with Datchet being on, or sensible if they still do it, can't be doing hard reps in the dark with snow aboot

• Options

Glad to see you all managed to get out even though the weather has been ridic..Good session there Dean, swift even on a treddie!

So..Southern Masters at Oxford on Saturday. Took the sensible option and went with the missus over there, the downside is that as she team manages the Beds women lot I had to get there for about 10.30. Had the kid in tow so had to entertain him around the track for a while. I mean it's fun, but just not ideal prep. Got to the start line, saw Dachs and my old mucker Ben from HHH who now knows Dachs and trains with Reading.

Set off at a better pace than last year, it was obvious Chris Smith of TVH and Bristow of Brighton would be out in front, which on the first lap left a little group of 5 lagging behind - around 10-15 meters behind Dachs - which was basically where I stayed all race, once the general placings had been sorted out by the time we had finished the first lap. Really felt the pace coming around to start the 2nd lap, worried I was going to start going back wards! Managed to get a bit of a 2nd wind, if only to try and stay relatively with the group in front. The quads really felt it in the woods, legs definitely didn't feel themselves and I was blowing hard. Coming down the slope into the long run in the woods I just tried to hold it together and coming out into the field I thought I might get 1st V45.

Unfortunately Ben - a bit of a nemesis for me had other ideas on the long run in to the line - and in what was a carbon copy of last years race, pipped me in the last 10 metres! Really hard run, most knackered I've been in a xc for a while. Luckily, the Haywards Heath guy in 3rd overall had just turned 45, so I got pipped for silver in the end. So another bronze to finish what has been a decent year. Chatted to Dachs after - got last years time wrong, I did 33.00 dead last year and about 31.15 this year, so no wonder it felt harder!

Managed to get out for a snowy 12 miler yesterday, managed to avoid the many fallen branches in the woods and then bombarded with clumps of wet snow.

• Options

That's a fair time off last year Simon! All the best people did a snowy 12 yesterday :-)

Bust a gut to get to work this morning for a critical 9am meeting - 6 miles of freezing slush, crawling under branches and biting cold winds with time running out for the 8:09 train. Got to the station at 8:08, train was 2 mins late (allegedly). At this point I was soaked to the skin and would chill very quickly. Bloody 2 min wait turned to 20 mins, by which point I'm frozen. Got to work and jumped in the shower - only to find it was barely a dribble and tepid! Got out of the lift at 8:58, with tow minutes to grab a coffee and get to the meeting when I got an email from the main person in the meeting - our Director - saying he was working at home and was postponing the meeting!!! Bastard!!!

Even more fun in store getting home tonight too!

• Options
    Sounds like a pleasant morning Bus! I took the mountain bike this morning, just in case the weather got worse. It was pretty hard work but with full suspension it didn't half soak up the potholes, to the extent that I started deliberately riding over them.

Nice XC running SC. As tomorrow is my birthday and the sun will be shining, apparently, I'm going to take the day off and do a long off-road run.
  • Options
    ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Quality time trial Dean. I enjoy doing sessions on the treadmill and even though you get the 'its not proper running/its easier' brigade, I've never ran anywhere near a pb on one so I'd say it bodes well. 

Nice PRunning Pete and PMJ. Was that before the snow or was the courses well covered? 

I bet the snowy conditions were right up your street Bus for your long run. I was keen to get out in it when I landed back from the stag do. 

Nice work on the medal SC. when you mentioned Ben I was presuming it was Ben Hope but it wasn't. Looked at the results though and he had a good run. He finished behind me at Yorkshire marathon but I wouldn't fancy my chances at XC.

Managed to get out for a short run on Saturday morning despite being on the cider from 4am Friday morning until 1am Saturday morning. Quick shower then straight back on the beer by 11am but as we were flying home Sunday morning I headed back about 10pm. 
    Saw the snow when we landed so got straight out for a few miles off road. Love running in the snow. 
    Straight back into a session this morning which was on grass/trail and covered in snow and ice. No spikes but wore my salomon S labs and they were ideal. 20 x 1 min on/off and 11 miles in total. Got a 1200/300 session planned for Thursday and a 10 mile fell relay race at the weekend so no cutting back and just putting in a big week. 
  • Options

Impressive stuff ML84  - Coupled with the stag do too - still never gone for a run on a stag do yet! I spoke briefly to Ben H after the last Surrey league race as I was only just behind him. He had a really good one yesterday though.

Enjoy the birthday Reg - should be 'bracing' early doors! Classic this morning Bus - great reading!!

• Options

Burning the candle at both ends and from the middle too Matt :-)

Off to run home in a bit - looks like the temperature is dropping quick. I need to remember where the trees are - there was one spot this morning where I was nearly garrotted by an inch thick bramble cord that I didn't spot in the semi darkness until it caught on the throat of my jacket! Tomorrow morning could be interesting - minus 9 in Aylesbury, and lots of re-frozen slush to contend with! I hope those tungsten carbide tips on my O Rocs are up to the job!

Have a most enjoyable BLSR Reg!!!

• Options
    Yes, be careful Bus.

I assume the B in BLSR stands for Baltic.