Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

I've been rather busy catching up with things-wot-needed-to-be-caught-up-with and have only only done a few 5 mile runs and a couple of 4 mile walks so nothing exciting to report really. I could of course moan about the weather 'cos it's really getting on my nerves now. I'm so far behind with my gardening and will have to adopt an even more relaxed than usual attitude to the weeds this year as it's impossible to dig our heavy clay atm!

Exhausted, very jealous of your visit to the botanic gardens. I last visited there about 20 years ago as part of a tour with the Horticultural Trades Association and the gardens were stunning when we visited in July. Are you doing VLM this year?

WtnMel, good luck with your golf coaching seesion. I'm sure you'll see an improvement as a result.

Glo, good luck with your newly required qualifications.

TE, I hearby rename you KIng of Spin! You are quite correct about my travel mileage which doubled in the last few years when I was doing so many multiple events. It should settle down this year as I won't be running anywhere near as many events and I'm looking forward to more trail running.

Hi Columba, glad to hear you're nearly at 5k. I thought of you last weekend as it was the Hastings 1/2 - the weather was not nearly as kind as it was when we ran it together!

Hi DBIW! Big huggles to you and the doggies.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Today is a rest day.

Glo2, good news about your new job, but a right pain that you have to do more studying to obtain a further qualification.

DBIW, you must be getting really fit now with running, swimming and indoor work outs. I prefer the hill climbing during the spin sessions, and remain seated whilst the others stand. The Instructor always says to increase the resistance whilst standing, as it will be easier. I increase it anyway, and work with the highest gear that I can manage.

WtnMel, I will start attending some evening club sessions when they return to the forest, but intend keeping up the spin classes. It will be interesting to see how I cope with a 60 minute spin workout in the morning, and a club session in the evening.
    Good luck with your golf training lessons. You will be "The Oldest Swinger in Town :)"

Exhausted, I'm trying to "reign back," as I don't want to overdo it.
    Interesting information about Haydn. I wonder what happened to his head. Perhaps it was pickled and is in glass case in some obscure museum.

The forest is still wet and muddy, and I ran a good pace 8 miles yesterday morning, two of them being at sub 10 minute pace. I think that it is the HIIT efforts in the spin, that is helping the improvement.
    I was reading in the RW magazine this morning, that holding the plank for as long as possible, is not beneficial. The new thinking is to do short repeats as follows:- 5 x 10 seconds, 4 x 10 seconds, 3 x 10 seconds, 2 x 10 seconds 1 x 10 seconds. I tried it and it is really tough. I thought it would be easy, as I can now hold for 3 minutes, but it wasn't. It actually totals 150 seconds, which is 2.5 minutes, so a good work out.
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS - the information about the plank was interesting. I stopped getting the RW magazine a few months ago so missed that article. I’ve been doing strength work a couple of times a week lately so I’ll try the new method for the plank and see what I think. Are there rest periods between each set?

Red - we are also still suffering with the effects of the recent bad weather, although it is bright and sunny today the ground is saturated and like you we have a lot of clay in our new garden, which my husband is trying to dig out when he can and replace with topsoil. The roses we’ve had for years don’t look promising now they have been transplanted in the new garden. Keeping fingers crossed though, particularly for the one I took from my late mother’s garden (and she took from her mother’s garden when she died).  

Columba - lovely to hear from you, good luck with your continuing improvement.

DBI - you sound as if you are back to full fitness, running 12k daily plus swimming, indoor club sessions and spinning! I wish I could manage a fraction of that.

WtnMel - those golf lessons sound very useful. Hope you see some improvement from them. 

Exhausted  - I know that sick feeling the night before returning to work. The best way to deal with it is to remind yourself that it’s just a means to an end - a way to fund things like your recent break. Unfortunately work is a necessary evil, but if it gets to the stage where you really can’t face it then it’s time to look for a new job. Thanks for sharing that information about Haydn, I hadn’t come across that before. Very interesting though.

Glo2 - good news that you finally have a start date for your training, I’m sure you’ll get those other qualifications - good luck.

I’ve been stuck in bed for the last week with a virus. After my run in that blizzard last Saturday I called in at the local swimming pool for a shower and the place was swarming with kids. I suspect I’ve picked something up from there. I just started to eat again yesterday and am beginning to feel slightly better, but still feel pretty wiped out. I think I’m going to have to look out my sensible hat and pull out of a relay race on Good Friday plus a 10k on Easter Sunday. Really gutted as I’ve been building up my fitness gradually this year, being careful not to overdo it as usual, and I was really looking forward to the races at the weekend. However as there are other races in the pipeline I know the sensible course of action would be to pull out and wait until I’m sure I’m fully recovered before resuming running. Now, where did I put that hat……?

• Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    For those of you who were interested in the story of Haydn's head, its bizarre passage back to its rightful owner is recounted here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haydn's_head

DBW: The ultimate irony of my new job is that my boss brings his dog in for the entire day. So Non-Dog Woman spends the whole of her working day with a Jack Russell! (I think that's what he is, anyway). He dismembers bones and chews other things, huffs a bit, licks his privates, sleeps in the visitors chairs and watches me studiedly while I eat my lunch. We've sort of established an uneasy understanding.  

Aquarius: The job is so badly-paid that it doesn't really make much difference. I suppose it stops us eating into our capital and keeps my brain ticking over. I like my colleagues, which is why I joined. Sorry about your bug, but good that you're eating now.

Glos2. Go and boss those tests. Show them what you're made of. 

HS: I like the idea of an exercise that is beneficial if you do it for a shorter time!

Columba: I admire the fact that you're carrying on with your comeback, and that you're at the end of the beginning. It sounds rather Churchillian!

Redhead: I haven't really run seriously now for a couple of years, so I didn't even conceive of doing VLM. Thinking about it, if I did just pitch up, I guess that from a standing start I could just about pelt to the Isle of Dogs stage, then I'd have to walk the rest of the way. 

I was going to run tomorrow but it will be so puddley here that most of my routes will be impassable. I'll go to the Palm Sunday service instead. "All glory, laud and honour!"
  • Options
    Morning all,

Today is a rest day.

Red, good luck with your proposed trail running. I much prefer them, and will be doing very few road runs in the future.

Aquarius, the article about the planks didn't mention any recovery between sets. What I did was to do the sets continuously, but paused after each 10 second effort for a few seconds.
    Sorry to hear that you have been suffering with a virus, and hope you are feeling better now. You are wise to give the races a miss, and as you say, there are always other races.

Exhausted, thanks for the link to Hadyn's Head, a very interesting article.
    The plank efforts are each shorter, but overall time for all the sets is not much different.

The only way to describe the forest yesterday was a sea of mud, flooded fields, and  streams of water right across the trails, necessitating a lot of walking and wading. I managed however, to complete a very tough 13.1 miles. I pushed myself hard the whole way, as was very pleased with my average pace of 11.18 minute miling. this was my best run since last years injury.
  • Options
    I'm a mature (63) beginner, looking for advice. I usually run only treadmill. The other day I tried running outside and I was absolutely hopeless. Feel like I am wasting my time. Will I really improve?
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Welcome Pammypods. I suppose people always hear so much about how wonderful and invigorating running is, and how it has changed their life and improved their health immeasurably, that it's a bit of a shock when you start doing it and find it's not pleasant at all. You notice that there are hills where you never noticed them before, the weather is not nice, you feel as if everything is joggling round in your body and you need the toilet all the time. If you've been running on a treadmill you'll have got used to the action but not the forces of gravity against you. However, you will have achieved a certain measure of fitness. Just start by running a certain distance, maybe halfway to the postbox. Then gradually go to the postbox by running and walking between milestones, like lampposts. Then run for every two lamposts, then run one. Suddenly you'll find that you can run all the way. Then plot a different route to stimulate the interest. I think planning to run X distance is not a good thing to start off as you can get overwhelmed by "Gosh, 3 miles." Think instead, as you have, that I'll run to the Post Office, or another location, and I'm not bothered if I walk a bit on the way. 

Running is very uncomfortable. I've always found it so. However, it's worth persevering.  You're not wasting your time, as the sense of achievement you get from getting faster or going further is really something. Just accept that you'll be glad to get home from EVERY run, and it's never a comfy experience. 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, I am in one of my annoyingly boingy and positive moods! I had  a fab run this morning, all on trail and felt totally immersed in Nature which was heavenly. Those 10 miles flew by so I've been eating my own bodyweight in inappropriate foodstuffs by way of celebration. To add to my joy, I've just been informed that I've entered the RAF 100 challenge on 1st April, which I'd forgotten about, so I"m hoping the weather forecast is wrong so I can bag another short ultra :smiley:

Pammypods, welcome to the thread! You've taken the first steps on a wonderful journey so please don't feel disheartened. I started in exactly the same way - I went to the gym, started running on the treadmill and ran  what I thought was 15 minutes but turned out to be just 2 minutes 'cos that's all I could manage to begin with. I gradually increased the running and decreased the walking breaks until I could run for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Overjoyed at my success I decided to go for my first run outside - it was a complete disaster! I couldn't get my breath, I couldn't get into my stride and white van drivers kept shouting motivational comments such as "Come on darlin', nearly there"!!!!! I really thought I'd never get the hang of it but I persevered and it's now so much a part of my life that I couldn't bear to give it up.  Just keep plugging away at it and if you struggle to run, then take a walk break and start running again when you've got your breath back. Good luck.

TE, that was a jolly tough run yesterday so well done you, especially at such a good pace for the conditions.

Aquarius, hope you're feeling a bit better today. Please make sure you're fully recovered before you contemplate a run xxx

Exhausted, thanks for the link about Haydn's head. What a story! get yourself out for a run please, you are too speedy to let it lapse completely (stern stare!). Chuckling at you and the dog, sorry. I'll be glad when Easter's over as Mike's been coaching the 'choir', at our house, in what should be a rousing anthem, - I'm hoping the organist will be able to drown out some of the noise.........
  • Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny, and the wind seems to have dropped.

Pammypods, welcome to the thread, you will get lots of advice and encouragement from us. I've had the opposite experience to you regarding treadmills. It was after many years of running that I first tried one, and didn't get on with it. I still don't, but the fact that you can run on one means that you should be able to run on the roads too.  The advice from Exhausted and Redhead, in the above posts, should be helpful.

Exhausted, I'm sorry to hear that you find running uncomfortable, but it is to your credit that you are able to run to such a high standard.

Red, glad to hear that you enjoyed your 10 mile trail run so much, and you now know why I do the majority of my running in the New Forest. Best of luck with the RAF 100 challenge. I'm a bit puzzled though, as to how 100 miles can be classified as "a short ultra."

I ran 7 miles on roads with Giuliana this morning. It made quite a change from wading through mud and water. I have to run on roads from time to time, otherwise, I will only ever be able to run off road.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Run done in the sun followed by my annual asthma review in which I recorded my best ever breath-flow. Happy girlie  :D

TE, lol, sorry for the confuson -  The RAF 100 challenge is celebrating 100 years since the RAF was formed! It's a 6 hour lapped event so there's an opportunity to use it for a shortish ultra.

Lovely day here so will be playing in the garden this afernoon as I believe it's going to rain for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Exhausted - well done re your walking in those nasty conditions. Hadn't heard that story about Haydn losing his head and must confess, the only 'Paul Lewis' I'm aware of is the one who does 'Money Box'! I'm not a dog-lover so couldn't face the idea of having a dog in the office, especially a 'yappy' one like a Jack Russell!

Red - we have the same problem .. weeds poking their heads out and unable to deal with them. And I think it might almost be time to give the lawns their first trim of the year. If TE is the 'King of Spin' can I be the 'King of Wishful Thinking' please ;) Re that choir Mike has been coaching, have you been feeling like doing a doggy impression and going "Yowl-lllllllll" :)

HS - re being the 'OSIT', if so would just like to point out it doesn't take me "all night to do what I used to do all night" ;) Think I've probably mentioned I don't bother with RW magazine any more as the articles started repeating the same info. But interesting to hear that info about doing planks in short bursts. Well done re that very tough-sounding 13.1ml run (visions of you doing your own personal 'Tough Mudder!)

Aquarius - hope that rose bush of yours keeps going. Sorry to hear you haven't been well with that virus - it would be sensible to pull out of the relay/10K (hint ..) :)

Pammypods - you're not wasting your time and you will improve. Just take things steadily at first and as Exhausted & Red suggest, run between lamp-posts to begin with and walk when you need to and gradually increase the running bits. 

Haven't run since last Thu but went for a 5ml walk with Margaret at the weekend (coffee at the midway point) - planning to run tomorrow and Thu this week.

Re golf, I played better on Fri thanks to watching those YouTube videos. But been for my first golf lesson today and having been filmed and shown what I was doing wrong, then shown what I should be doing, I practised after the lesson and was pleased to find I was hitting the ball straighter and further! :) I'm playing my friend Alan on Wed morning so I'm hoping I can translate the post-lesson improvements into an even lower score than usual.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    BTW, look what I found ..

They were in the rafters of the garage of my house in Wootton Bassett alongside the windbreak and other beach-related stuff. Must have seemed like an obvious place to 'file' them at the time ..  :)
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: All hail to St Anthony! I'll try a prayer myself! Paul Lewis is an extremely famous and sought-after pianist. I've seen him perform several times and have a couple of his recordings. He is known for sitting down and getting on with it - hardly looking at the keyboard before he plays his first note. I think it's his way of dealing with nerves. 

TE: I'm always impressed at how you soldier on through such disagreeable conditions underfoot, as you have in your recent run in the New Forest.

Redhead: How did Mike get roped into conducting and rehearsing the choir?

I'm trying to keep a sense of humour with the dog, but finding it difficult. Work should have a certain attention to dignity and health and safety. I think bringing a dog into work is a selfish abnegation of that. It's saying to a new recruit that you couldn't care a toss how they feel.  

The RAF 100 sounds a noble challenge. I'll think of you on April 1st and wish you well.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Oh that's good news re the bowls WtnMel! Yes I did indeed smirk whne I heard the sopranos missing the high notes - Mike suggested I join them but I manage to get out of it as I was too busy training :)

Exhausted, I read in the Parish News that they were in need of someone to help them learn the notes so suggested Mike offfer to help so it's all my fault! It's been like herding cats as they don't all turn up for rehearsals and when the missing ones come back eventually he's had to go through the same things again and again. Plus, only a couple of them actually read music so he had to produce samples of their parts so they can practice. When they've been here the cat and I have secreted ourselves upstairs out of the way!

Agree about the dog at work thing - not very professional at all.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Exhausted - sorry to be a bit of a philistine and not be aware of Paul Lewis but in my defence I'm not a lover of piano music, so I wouldn't have ever sought him out. Agree with your comments about the dog but doesn't sound like you're in much of a position to do anything about it :(

Red - you can imagine how pleased I was when I climbed into the garage rafters and laid my hands on the boules after all that searching. Still smiling to myself imagining that cat's chorus practising in your house ;)

Just back from a 5ml run - happy to report I was quicker than usual and hardly needed any walk breaks and the pedestrian/traffic/dog-walker gods were on my side so I didn't have any delays or need to manoeuvre my way around anyone or anything! A quick shower/lunch than I'll be off to play bowls (as opposed to boules - this could get very confusing!)
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

Wet and gloomy here this morning so procrastinated long enough for the rain to stop and am just off for a 6 mile plod up and down some hills.

WtnMel, LOL for your sympathy! There was a dull drone throughout from one of the Bass boys and then old lady warbling from 2 of the sopranos on the high notes. I resorted to headphones and a talking book as a distraction. Well done on your 5 miles.

Who else has got any events planned for Easter?
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

It's bright and sunny now, after raining all night and most of the morning.

WtnMel, Hope your golf lessons prove beneficial, so that you can beat your friend Alan. Good news that you found your boules.

Exhausted, I quite enjoy running under difficult conditions, as it disguises my lack of pace.
    I think it bad practice, your boss bringing his dog into work. The only exception should be for Guide Dogs. Many years ago, back in the sixties when I worked in London  we had typing pools, and short hand writers. There was a blind short hand writer who had a black guide dog. One of the retired S/Leaders in the office, always asked for him to take down dictation. The dog used to lay by his side, and was no trouble at all. Whatever happened to typists, everyone does all their own typing now. I actually went to night school to learn to type, never dreaming that one day, I would be typing on PC's, Laptops and phones.

Red, good to hear that your breath flow is now the best ever. Must be all the mileage that you are running, clearing out your lungs. 
    Trying to imagine the choir practice in your house. I expect the cat keeps out of the way  :o

I ran 1.6 miles yesterday morning after the spin session. I found that I was running much easier, probably because my legs were well and truly warmed up.
    This morning's spin session was definitely the toughest so far, with hill sprints, off road efforts, and sprints on the flat. To complete the session, we did 5 x 10 seconds HIIT's using the highest resistance that we could manage. I did mine at level 6, which is the highest level I have reached. I don't know how many levels there are, but must be near the top. I reached a top speed of 35km per hour during one of the level sprints, and "rode" 23.5 km's in total. that's the furthest I have managed by quite a distance. 

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

After a glorious morning, during which I was out and about doing boring stuff then enjoying a nice hour with Mary Massage Lady, it has now turned very cold and windy and the sky is black. Looks as if it's going to be a rather dull Easter weekend but looking forwrad to the RAF 100 Challenge which is going to be very emotional as there are several active servicemen taking part, one of whom will be celebrating his 100th marathon. It really won't matter if it rains and a part of the entrance fee will go to the RAF exservicemens charity.

TE, the cat and I are both trying to forget the choir incident. I'd never have suggested he helped them if I thought he'd invite them home!!! You are doing so well with your cycling and I'm getting worried you're heading to the dark side. Now if I hear you're going to see the quack about your 'asthma' meds then I will be really worried ;-)
  • Options
    Evening all, ello, ello ello

Red, It's been very wet and windy here, but has brightened up now. Hope the RAF Challenge 100 is a great success for all concerned.
    I haven't got to the drug cheating level yet, and have no intention of heading over to the dark side. Running is still my number one priority.

I ran 8.6 miles this morning on roads with Giuliana. This is the furthest road run that I have attempted since my injury in June. I'm hoping to do a long run in the forest on Saturday, if the rain holds off. Conditions are the worse that I can remember, yet I don't think the rainfall this year has been that much worse than in previous years.
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: Absolutely no reason why you should know who Paul Lewis is. You are no way a Philistine (although a whole afternoon in the Levant section in the British Museum still couldn't tell me who, exactly, the Philistines were)! I remember your views on piano music. Although, I must admit, Murray Perahia's rendition of the 3rd movement of The Moonlight this morning on Radio 3 as I drove along gave me the oomph to face an awful day. 

Red. Poor old Mike. However, the funny thing about choirs is that it always turns out alright on the night. 

I no longer sing in choirs. People jostling to move away from me in the altos gave me all the hints I needed on what a terrible singer I am. 

TE: I agree with you about the weather, although it doesn't seem to keep a good man down, as you have proved. In fact, with your record breaking personal performances as you move back to fitness, it seems to bring out the best in you.

• Options
    Morning all,

Another wet and windy day, typical Bank Holiday weather.

Exhausted, I knew that doing nothing wasn't the answer to my injury, so have done everything possible to regain my fitness. I've been very patient, not "trying to run before I could walk."

Today is a rest day, but I have done all my stretching exercises, including the new thinking 5,4,3,2,1, ten second planks.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Yep, typical Bank Holiday weather here too. We went for a short trip out this morning just to get Mike out of the house as he's finally getting over his bad cold (a REAL cold, not man flu for a change!), got drenched and came home. I then made hot cross buns and baked a cake for Sunday and now I've lost the urge to to go out for a run. Never mind, I'll get out early tomorrow instead.

TE, those new planks are harder than doing it all in one go so I'm going to incorporate them myself.

Exhausted, I'm sure your singing voice is beautiful. I used to love singing in choirs but would be too frustrated to sing with the church choir as none of them treat it seriously and they turn up to rehearsals on an ad hoc basis which would drive me mad!

Have a lovely EAster everyone. I'm just off to write clues for an Easter egg trail hunt for MIke as he'll ne home alone on Sunday :)

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Red - excellent news about your asthma breath flow test. You must be really pleased about the result. How are the choir rehearsals going? What a star Mike is to take that on, I hope they all appreciate him giving so much of his time (and patience) for them. Good luck for the RAF 100, fingers crossed for good weather.

HS - well done for managing a good run out on roads, be careful of that knee though. As you know roads are a lot less forgiving on joints than forest trails.

Exhausted, I can’t believe you have to put up with a dog in the office, what a selfish person your boss is. Not only is it grossly unfair to you but I don’t suppose the dog is too happy about it either. I get really annoyed with people who get a dog then realise they don’t really have the time or inclination to look after it properly. I’m not a great dog fan myself and I would refuse to work in those conditions, although I suppose that’s easy to say. I remember a few years ago we were going to London on the train and had paid for first class seats in order to be sure of comfort and plenty of room. When we got to our table there was a girl sitting across the table from us with a huge smelly dog that took up the whole of the floor area under the table, making it impossible for us to take our seats. When we pointed this out she managed to heave the dog into a semi sitting position for us to squeeze into our seats then gave up the unequal struggle and let it slide back down to it’s original lying position, which of course now meant it was on top of our feet. The weight of it, and the awful smell of bad doggy breath from the poor overheating panting animal was the last straw and we remonstrated with her about the situation. Her reply was she had paid for a first class ticket for her dog so it was entitled to be there. At this point the ticket inspector came and we both forcefully put our arguments to him, he diplomatically suggested she move to the other first class carriage which had a couple of spare seats. However on carrying on the discussion with the inspector, after the girl and dog had huffily left, I was surprised to find there was nothing in the regulations to prevent this sort of thing happening. 

WtnMel - hurray for the boules (re)discovery! Looks like your golf lessons have paid off, did the feedback from videoing your practice help you beat your friend on Wednesday? Well done on your 5 mile run too, you certainly keep yourself busy one way or another!

Pammypods - I started running on a treadmill too, and like you I found, which others have confirmed, it is quite a shock to the system when you first try to run outside on roads. The surface is so much harder, and more uneven, you may have a camber to deal with and then there’s the weather to contend with too. However, that is real running, and is worth persevering with. You have the advantage of the scenery changing constantly and being able to breathe fresh air rather than stuffy gym air. Keep at it, improvements made when running outdoors are much more satisfying than those obtained on the treadmill.

No running for me this weekend. I’ve pulled out of the road relays today and sold my number for the 10K on Sunday (which reminds me Red, the girl who bought it insisted on paying me £20 when the entry fee was only £17, so I said I’d donate the difference to ARUK. I know it’s only £3 but every little helps) as unfortunately my virus has now morphed into a streaming cold. It looks like I’ll  have to give our last GP of the season a miss on Tuesday too. The weather is appalling as usual so it’s probably all for the best. I’ll go to the 10k on Sunday anyway to cheer on my eldest son, then later on we’re all going for a meal for his birthday.

Hope everyone has a great Easter whether eating chocolate, running or just chilling.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Evening all,

Red - a guy I used to work with sings with Bath Camerata and at lunchtimes, could often be found in the kitchen poring over a score and bom-bom-bom-ing to himself. No plans for Easter here apart from Margaret's son and family descending on us on Sunday and 'Grandad Mel' being expected to organise an Easter-egg hunt for our grand-daughters.

HS - I'm sure the golf lessons will prove beneficial in the long run but I didn't manage to beat my friend Alan on Wednesday .. but apart from one abysmal hole that was my undoing, I felt I was playing better. Well done re that hard spinning session and 9ml road run.

Exhausted - I did go to some singing lessons some time back (to learn how to sing properly) but have never ventured beyond that or considered joining any choir.

Aquarius - as mentioned above, I didn't beat my friend Alan at golf. On a positive note though, when playing abysmally on one hole, I recalled my lesson and realised that as in the past, I was bringing my arms in towards my body during my down-swing which was causing me to 'top' the ball. When I began keeping my left arm straight as taught at the lesson my game improved again. I will need plenty of practise to make sure the new stance and swing bed into my brain properly! Sorry to hear you've now got a cold lurgy.

Thursday's club run was good (16 in total) and free drinks afterwards as it was Kate's birthday. They don't know it yet but it's my birthday next week so I'll be treating them all. I decided to put on a 'spurt' at the end of the run and was amazed to see I was managing 8:45mm pace in the last few hundred yards. My overall average pace was just below 11:00mm so I'm continuing to slowly regain my fitness.

BTW, I just saw a headline on Sky News "Yellow snow warning for Easter" - I thought we all already knew to avoid yellow snow ;)
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Morning all,

I've been up long before the lark as for some unknown reason I decided to get our Ocado delivery extra early today!

Aquarius, what a lovely gesture, thank you so much from me and ARUK (there is no such word as 'only' where donations are concerned). You helped make my day. Sorry to hear you're still lurgified though and hope a celebratory meal with your son will aid recovery.

WtnMel, well done speedy boy and yes, I do know not to eat yellow snow!!!

Have a lovely weekend everyone :D  
  • Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Morning all, but not the troll that is not welcome. When will RW get their act together to prevent these irritating pests from posting on what is supposed to be a secure site. I see it has got two stars now which is worrying.

Rant over!

Red, losing the urge to go for a run, I had to pick myself off the floor  :o

Aquarius, sorry to hear that you now have a streaming cold. Very wise to avoid running over the weekend.

WtnMel, well done with your 8.45 pace over the last few hundred yards of your club run. Your fitness is definitely returning  :)

I'm pleased to say my fitness appears to be returning too. I ran 9 miles on road yesterday morning at an average pace of 10.33 minute miling. Mile 9 was the quickest at an average pace of 9.45 minute miling.
    I have, however, decided not to run in the Salisbury 10 mile road race which is next Sunday, as I would be tempted to push myself, and probably damage my knees again. I have offered my place to another club member at no cost. Today is a rest day, and it's not raining, typical. Tomorrow will be heavy rain all day, I believe. Just can't win. :#

Have a lovely Easter Sunday everyone.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, I found the "Runner's World UK" Facebook page and posted the following on there ..

===== 

I post on the RW UK forums and we've had another spammer on a thread I chat on (this time trying to sell fake banknotes). I've reported the offending post as in the past, but I feel like I'm wasting my time because no-one from RW ever bothers to reply to any of my messages.

Does anyone  ever take any action? Am I wasting my time? Is it likely no-one at RW will take any notice of this post either?

If you don't really care about the forums and would rather people chat on a Facebook group here (as I gather has already happened in the USA) at least let us know where we stand because it's frustrating bothering to report things when no-one at RW ever takes any notice.

===== 

My post needs to be reviewed by the administrator of the FB page so what's the betting it won't actually appear?
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Red - at least you didn't forget you'd organised an early delivery. Speedy(ish) boy would be more correct ;)

HS - as above, rather than join you in your rant, thought I would at least try and get RW's attention by posting on their FB page. The other thing I may try (don't think there would be any 'admin' involvement) will be to aim a tweet at them asking why they never seemingly bother to deal with spammers/trolls on here. At the club run I did say to those around me, "sprint finish?" and heard someone say "yes, let's go for it" but I was by myself when I finished. Well done re your 9ml road run.

Yesterday I went out without any pre-conceptions and started steadily hoping to delay any walk-breaks (not really needed - and a bad habit I would like to stop before it becomes too ingrained). I ended up managing to run all the way round on my route and even better, managed to run just over 6mls which is my longest run since April last year. Just as well really as it's only three weeks until the Corsham 10K that I've entered. If I can get round in less minutes than my age (66 on Tuesday) I'll be happy.

BTW, I was almost too good at hiding Easter eggs for my grand-daughters to find - they found most of them fairly quickly but there were a couple left over and I had to wander around the garden surreptitiously looking for the ones I had overlooked and forgotten where I had put them!

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    No response to my message yesterday to whoever looks after the RW Facebook page. But in the meantime they appear to have time to post various other things (like articles about muffins).

So in the spirit of guerilla warfare I've taken to posting the same comment on every new FB post of theirs I see (basically asking why they never respond to complaints about spammers/trolls).

I shall continue posting the same comment until either (a) someone from RW does respond .. or (b) some other users complain about my continual posts. Then we may see some action on RW's part or other action (maybe they'll remove me as a 'troublemaker'. If my account gets suspended or I disappear you'll know the reason!!

• Options
    Evening all,

WtnMel, good news that you managed your longest run for about a year, and without walking.
    Thank you for the action you are taking regarding the spammers/trolls. RW has totally ignored every request or query, no matter what from the RW Forum members. There was a thread on the original RW Web, specifically for queries etc. which were usually responded to and actioned accordingly. The web has been a nightmare since its "upgrade" and consequently has lost the majority of its regulars. Ironically, it seems to be nearly impossible for prospective new posters, to start new threads. This is supposed to prevent spammers from starting them, but doesn't stop them posting on existing threads. The web used to have Moderators, who would remove spam etc. on a regular basis. I hope your actions produce some positive results, but I have my doubts. They will probably just ignore you, just as they have every one else that has complained since the "upgrade."

I ran 10 miles on road this morning, the furthest since last June. The weather was dreadful, cold, windy and very heavy rain. Ironically, the rain stopped when I got home.