Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Matsmum. Welcome back Running Supremo. Fantastic to get that prize. I should think it's something your 12 grandchildren will feel very proud of. 

WtmMel: Impressive that you're making excellent progress with a whole range of different sports, and even beating your mentors. I rather like watching people play bowls in their whites on a sunny day. I don't think I'd be very good at it. Equally, golf. 

HS: I've forgotten that feeling of bursting lungs, having not run seriously for two years, now. Maybe I should do something lung-bursting. 

Redhead: Difficult time for Denny. Without knowing the ins and outs or either party, I can sort of imagine the dynamics within the relationship and it must have been pretty tough on the partner, too, going through all that. She must be in a right state and it's nice of you to go over and listen and help. 

Well. On Monday night I did it. I walked out. I couldn't stand the dog in my office any longer. Work has to be conducted with mutual respect for others, and upholding dignity.

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Up to my eyes at the moment sorting out my aunt’s affairs so no time for a proper post - but just had to take a couple of minutes to say “well done Exhausted!!” Good for you  :)
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Exhausted - I had another quick roll-up at the bowls club yesterday. I'm still getting used to having to roll it that much further and with the green still a bit damp, I was short of the jack most of the time. Luckily, everyone else was having the same problem. I've got my first 'proper' match next Thursday so I hope my practise roll-up on Tue goes better! Can't say I blame you for walking out of that job - hope you can find another job soon.

Aquarius - hope you are able to sort out your Aunt's affairs without too many problems. See you back here when you aren't so busy.

Back to normal at golf today - I was a distant 2nd place against my friend Alan. But I can console myself with the fact he played very well today and I had less duff shots than normal so overall not too bad really.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Bright and sunny and getting warmer. I'm glad now that I'm not doing a marathon on Sunday as it's going to be scorchio  :o

WtnMel, good luck for your 10k on Sunday. Very sensible to start slowly, especially as it will be very hot!
    Hope you beat Alan again at golf today. A free round of golf is a nice bonus.
    I survived my run with Alice  because she only ran 3 miles with me before turning back. It made me realise how far I still have to progress before being up to race pace again. Alice is running in the London Marathon on Sunday, but will be taking it easy as she has had a sore calf. Sarah is running the Southampton Marathon, and she has had a dodgy ankle. I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that they will both finish successfully.

Exhausted, that first mile was the first lung bursting running effort since last June. Alice was just cruising at that pace. Try spinning, that will really get your heart rate up, and your lungs and legs screaming. I was told that it was addictive, and I'm really hooked. It has helped me no end towards recovering my fitness, and keeping my cardio healthy.
    That's really impressive, you walking out of the office, in protest about that smelly dog sharing it with you. Does that mean that you have resigned?

Aquarius, agree it's very time consuming sorting out the affairs of the deceased. I went through that with my parents. It wasn't as complicated as it could have been though, as I had Powers of Attorney for them.

Another good spin session this morning. We have "a hard core" of spinners now, so each session becomes tougher. We are not forced to do exactly as instructed, but if we want to get the maximum benefit, it is in our interests to put everything into it.

• Options
    Morning all,

Bright and sunny again, but not quite as hot as yesterday.

I ran 8.3 miles in the forest yesterday morning, the hottest day of the year, scorchio! I was really pleased that the heat didn't really bother me, and I actually increased my pace on the return leg. My average pace was 10.23 minute miling, and the last .3 mile was average 9.13. 
    I'm sure the twice a week spinning has helped me regain my fitness, as only a few months ago, I was struggling to get below 13 minute miling.
    Today is a rest day, and I will be running in the forest tomorrow morning with Chris. I will spend Sunday morning watching the London Marathon. I will be tracking 4 club mates on the London Marathon app.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    HS - I always start steadily in races. I know the perils of getting carried away at the start. And once I'm halfway I'll know if I'm feeling okay to speed up a bit. Hope your friends Alice & Sarah get on okay at their respective marathons. Glad to hear the spinning is still going well and well done re your 8ml forest run. 

I ran 5mls with the club yesterday - or more accurately, jogged round at the tail end with Rita (one of the slower runners) as I just wanted to stretch my legs. Didn't want to put in any effort as I wanted to save my energy for Sunday's Corsham 10K. A couple of clubmates who are doing the London Marathon came out with us. I was surprised to see them as I thought they would be resting but they said they wanted to try running in the heat. In my mind I thought there wasn't much point to be honest but I'm no expert so maybe they know better?

Off out to cut the lawns before it gets too warm and if I have the energy, will do a bit of weeding too ..

*waves* to everyone else
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    It was warm work yesterday cutting the lawns for the first time in a few months - but now the 'first cut' is done it should be easier to keep on top of them. Glad to see the weather is cooling down a bit for my 10k tomorrow (and for all those London Marathon entrants - including 25 of my clubmates). I've been having a quiet day today - but earlier on, before the rain arrived, I moved a couple of euphorbia plants that Margaret wanted to be further back in the border.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Seem to be talking to myself at the moment :)

I ran the Corsham 10K in 1:06:57 this morning which is pretty much what I was hoping for and expecting. Will be following up on the race website tomorrow to see if any of the race photos are any good (or whether I'm gurning in all of them! ;)
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ah WtnMel! I'll talk to you. Well done on the Corsham 10k. Was it a hot one?

I haven't been running. My triple horsefly bite on my forehead is only just healing up. It made me look as if I'd been in a punch-up. I've done plenty of gardening which, when your garden is built up a steep cliff is just as energy sapping as running.

Today I watched Somerset beat Worcestershire in the cricket. Good weather conditions. Worcestershire had a little fight back rally at the end with Tongue and Barnard but it was all over well before 5.00.  
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Exhausted - yes, it was very warm yesterday. I'd taken my Lowe Alpine walking hat (baseball cap) to wear before/after the race but actually left it on as it was so warm & sunny. I had a quiet rest of the day (felt really washed out) and last night, woke at 4am feeling far too hot and had to kick off the covers (delayed reaction to running in the sun?) .. after a bit I cooled off and was able to get back to sleep. Still feeling a bit tired today! Sorry to hear about the horsefly bites - I have had bad reactions to them in the past (large swollen areas on arms & legs). Funny thing cricket - I used to play when I was in my teens and for a few years, was the scorer for the local 3rd XI (which kept me out of mischief at weekends and meant a free tea each time!). But I lost interest in the game as I grew older and don't have any interest in it at all these days (not just cricket though - have similar lack of interest of tennis & football).
  • Options
    Afternoon everyone,

Well done WtnMel, racing in the heat yesterday. That was a respectable time in the circumstances. Our eldest lady runner is 76, and she ran the Southampton Half Marathon, the first she has done, in 4.48. She appeared in the ITV News  running at the back of the field. She is a bit of a star, coming last in every race. There are always lots of runners and spectators waiting for her to finish, and cheering her in.

Exhausted, those horsefly bites sound really nasty. Summer club sessions in the forest in the evenings seem to attract nasty things that bite. Insect repellent doesn't seem to help.
    Cricket is getting more complicated these days. There seem to be so many versions, with a new 100 overs being introduced, I believe.

Saturday night was a thunder and lightning storm like no other, with really torrential rain. The lightning kept flashing through the windows, and kept me awake for hours. Thankfully it had stopped by morning, and didn't seem to have affected the trains to London for the marathoners.

I didn't go out at all yesterday, I kept myself busy working on a spread sheet for some of our club runners doing the London Marathon. Our fastest male runners chip time was 3.00.30 I don't know his gun time. Fastest lady was 3.42.37. Alice ran it in 3.46.15 with a tight calf, so a great time. Sarah did really well in the Southampton Marathon in 4.19, her first marathon.
    It was cooler today with a brisk breeze, and I ran 7.25 miles on roads.
    I saw on the News this afternoon that a runner died during the London Marathon, he was only 29 and had appeared in one of the cooking programmes last year.

• Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    WtnMel: I've been in and around cricket for years. Mr Exhausted played for the village team for a few years and I did my stint on teas. When I went to watch county cricket, generally at Trent Bridge, I used to take a book or something as a passive observor, but I was always impressed by the rather balletic actions of the players. It really is beautiful to watch, in contrast to, say football. I've become more interested since we moved here. Somerset is a cosy little ground where you feel very close to everything. My several times great grandparents were married at the famous church of St. James, which is a local landmark overlooking the ground, on 30th October 1708. We've also started to spend our Saturdays watching our local club as they play in scenic villages all over Devon. So, in contrast to you, I've got quite keen. I even know the LBW rule (although think it's stupid - it should be called the Inaction Rule as that's what, essentially, it's punishing the players for. 

TE: You're a loyal club man. It sounds as if no-one had a fast day on Sunday. I've done a few hot London Marathons. It has a way of getting even hotter with crowds and buildings. Hottest I've ever run was Stockholm at 35 degrees.

The death of someone at 29 is awful. 

• Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    HS - after finishing my race I had spent around 30mins or so recovering and changing into a dry t-shirt. As I wandered back over to race hq the last runner was crossing the line at the 1hr 40min mark and it was great too see and hear her getting a huge cheer from the spectators who were still there waiting for her. I see from the results page there were 4 DNF's and there's one lady showing a time of 39:54 but a DQ against her name (no idea why). I was 26th out of 31 in my category (Vet60) and I can see I'd have to go some to beat the fastest Vet60 who came in at 41:26 - impressive stuff. Well done to your club mates for their London results - and I presume you were doing a spreadsheet to collate everyone's finish times?
  • Options
    Sad too hear about the death of a runner , my best wish's to the family.  A 15k trail race yesterday, 90% in the forest , cool and a slight breeze.  I was out to beat the chap who beat me on the line of the last race! so job done, we were still at the back of the field tho , a race within a race. 
    Wtnmel, the warm weather wash's me out as well.
  • Options
    The 1995 London Marathon was a hot one too.  To quote from the Results brochure:
    "Race day proved to be one of the hottest days of the year to date with shaded temperatures reaching the high 60's and unshaded temperatures reaching the high 70's/low 80's Fahrenheit.  There was only patchy high cloud all day, giving almost continuous sunshine throughout".
    I drank far too much water that resulted in me looking unbelievably bloated in the 'Finish' photograph.  I won the M60 title in 2.53.04 but was a long time getting my winners medal because Alan Storey, the General Manager,  couldn't believe someone built like a rugby player could run that fast, so it had to be proved I'd run through every checkpoint.  It took them over 7 weeks to check me out and my medal was finally released on 23rd May.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Haven't read back but will do tomorrow.

So sad to hear of yet another death at VLM and will be interested to learn the cause as he was young, fit and experienced.  His dad was known as "Camera Dude" by many people who ran the Brathay 10in10 events but he sadly passed away 18 months ago.  One of my running chums was Chief Medical Nurse on Sunday and although Matt collapsed very close to them at mile 22 they were unable to save him so she's very upset.

I ran the Rejects marathon in a course best of 5:28 which was a surprise as I walked most of the last lap as it was so darned hot.

Mr Fox, you were far too speedy for a 60yo - in fact, you're still too blimming speedy!!! xxx
  • Options
    Morning all,

Moks. sounds a great trail race, and well done beating the runner who beat you last year. I have some nemeses, who I'm unlikely to beat again, unless I get back to full fitness again.

Mr Fox, that was an amazing marathon time for a 60 year old, in fact, an amazing time at any age. Age related, that would compare very favourably with elite senior runners. Have you calculated what it would have been?

Red, well done for your Rejects marathon in that heat. That was a very good time.

Another tough spin session this morning, with the HITTS being increased to 8 x 20 seconds with 10 seconds recoveries. I don't know whether it means that I am getting fitter, but I didn't sweat as much as previously.

WtnMel, the spread sheet wasn't to establish the positions and finishing times of each runner, as the web master does that. What I did was to record cumulative times at each 5k. 
  • Options
    Hallo everyone, sorry to have been missing from here lately, really have not had much to report as I have not raced at all for many months, but starting to feel like I am ready to race again. I am also concerned about Red as nobody seems to have heard from her, I know Mike has had some ongoing health problems so can only cross my fingers that everything is ok. John and I have both done a lot of swim training and running in the forest with the dogs so not entirely idle. Our weather is good at present, warm and sunny so we are going to have a barbeque this evening at dog club after finishing training with the dogs. Will try to post more regularly. Footnote - I too use Chia seeds and have managed to drop 5 kilos in weight.
  • Options
    Sneaks a quick look...

• Options
    Hi all.

I'm new to the forum, so apologies for throwing the thread off the subject a little.

I'm 39 in June and only started running properly in recent years. I've completed a few HMs, and my first marathon in London on Sunday. I was shocked to hear of Matt's death, very very sad.

My post is really an opportunity to ask a question if I may?

I'm convinced I'm not a 'natural' runner, but my physio seems to have ironed out any painful problems borne of my overpronation. I just can't seem to get any faster, which is frustrating.

Both my halves were sub 2hrs, and the marathon a slightly disappointing 04:56. Is there a way that someone of my age can improve my technique and ultimately speed, or do I simply need to accept that, at my age, I'm only ever going to be a bit of a treader and that my athletic capacity will not allow a significant improvement in results?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks, Matt.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Good morning all,

Been very busy and excited in equal measure and can finally announce that ARUK, the charity I've been championing for the past 13 years, has joined forces with the Alzheimer's Society to create the Dementia Alliance in their bid to be charity of the year at the London marathon 2019.  They were successful in their bid but I've been sworn to secrecy for many months (torture!!!).  Guess who'll be running VLM next year  :D<3<3<3

I was up and out for a short run at 5am.  Just glorious 5.5 miles and the dawn chorus was amazing this morning.

Welcome BanburyMatt.  At your age, or even at any age, you have plenty of scope to improve your time if that's your goal!  Hillstrider is our esteemed coach so I'm sure he'll be along soon to offer suggestions on how to get faster.  Whenever I've tried to get faster I found that short sharp bursts of speed (aka Fartlek sessions) were great at getting my legs moving.  Include some tempo/pyramid sessions/hill reps for variety and you'll soon notice a difference.  These sort of session will ultimately make you stronger too and you'll probably find your marathon time getting faster (as long as you work on building up your mileage too).  Good luck!

Waves to DBIW and Ratbag!
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Impressive achievement that, Running Fox. As I've observed over the years, there doesn't seem to be a classic running shape or even classic running action. Mean-spirited of the organisers to want to check you out. 

It's strange your announcement, Red, because I got an e-mail from something called The Dementia Alliance this morning, and I deleted it without opening it. Will you get automatic entrance to VLM, through the charity? It seems a good idea for charities to merge for synergy. Fantastic effort of the marathon in that heat. 

DBIW: I'm intrigued by these Chia seeds. What are they and what do they do? I don't particularly want to lose 5kg but I'll pass it on to anyone who does. 

Moksaeight. Well done on beating your rival.  

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Exhausted, bother, I can't believe I typed 'dementia alliance' instead of https://www.dementiarevolution.org/ in my excitement, sorry.  I too received an email from them which I deleted without opening!   I jolly well hope I do get a charity place but I might not.

DBIW, we most have crossed posts - I'm here thank you.  I put chia seeds in my yoghurt but they haven't made me lose weight  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

What dreadful weather. First time I have driven my "new car" in torrential rain. I had to experiment with the wipers, until I got the hang of them.

Hi Ratbag, hope we were worth the look  :)

Hi BanburyMatt,  you are still "a youngster." You have plenty of time to improve your pace. I ran 6 marathons in my thirties, before I started proper training by joining a running club at age 40. I definitely recommend that you join a running club as you will receive structured training. The advice given by Redhead is sound, and you should definitely include a long slow run once a week, essential if you intend running more half and full marathons. I ran on track twice a week with that club which really improved my pace, and I set all my pb's at age 43, except for the marathon, when I achieved my pb of 3.12 at age 47. I'm 72 now, so obviously much slower :/  Please feel free to ask for any more advice, comments etc as we are  willing to help.

Another tough spin session this morning, which included a "different spin," on HITTS. We did 5 seconds very hard, 5 seconds recovery continuously for what seemed an eternity, probably only 60 seconds.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hmm, Exhausted, in answer to your question about automatic entry via the charity, apparently not!  As it is a joint venture they have to be fair across both charities so its either Gold Bond or ballot.  I've already done 9 GB places and raised over £53,000 so really not sure about yet another one.  Poo  :'(

TE, glad to hear you've collected your new car and tested the wipers!  Another good spin session.
  • Options
    Red, I've had the car for over a month, but it's the first time I've driven it in heavy rain and hail ?
  • Options
    The emoticons don't seem to work from the mobile to the RW Forums. Hence the question mark. They seem to work on fetcheveryone though.
  • Options
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/hillstrider">hillstrider</a></div><div class="QuoteText">
    Hi BanburyMatt,  you are still "a youngster." You have plenty of time to improve your pace. I ran 6 marathons in my thirties, before I started proper training by joining a running club at age 40. I definitely recommend that you join a running club as you will receive structured training. The advice given by Redhead is sound, and you should definitely include a long slow run once a week, essential if you intend running more half and full marathons. I ran on track twice a week with that club which really improved my pace, and I set all my pb's at age 43, except for the marathon, when I achieved my pb of 3.12 at age 47. I'm 72 now, so obviously much slower :/  Please feel free to ask for any more advice, comments etc as we are  willing to help.

Another tough spin session this morning, which included a "different spin," on HITTS. We did 5 seconds very hard, 5 seconds recovery continuously for what seemed an eternity, probably only 60 seconds.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks Hillstrider

Some excellent advice, I'll certainly do as you suggest.

Would there be any particular criteria I should look for in an athletics club? Should they be AAA members?

Very good news on the age front, and inspirational to hear you're still very active yourself, although I doubt I'd ever get anywhere near your PB!

Thanks for making me feel so welcome.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

A quick update re the Corsham 10K and the DQ'd lady I mentioned. Judging by the race photos, 'she' was a 'he' so I'm not surprised he was disqualified running with that number.

Mok - well done for beating your 'nemesis' at your trail race.

RF - impressive finish time at the 1995 London Marathon .. no wonder they needed to check.

Red - well done re your course best at the Rejects marathon. I think I saw Ruth (aka Hipps) did the same race? Exciting times re the charities combining forces - was hoping your marathon place would have been a foregone conclusion after all the effort you've put in to ARUK over the years but I see that's not the case :(

HS - I see the spinning is still going well .. I'd imagine the answer to your question is you are getting fitter. Don't know about your car but mine has variable-speed intermittent wipers but also a rain sensor which presumably takes over and turns them on for you if you forget to switch them on.

Ratbag - wondering how many marks out of 10 you gave us?

Matt - as others have suggested, try adding some speedwork into your training. In my experience clubs tend to let people come along and join a club run to see how they get on and to meet other members .. a 'try before you buy' sort of deal. And of course club membership usually means UK Athletics affiliated status meaning cheaper 'affiliated' entry into races.

I haven't run since Sunday's race (resting Mon, visitors yesterday; golf today) but will be going to the club run tomorrow morning. Claire has devised a new route which includes a steep hill .. should be interesting!

• Options
    Welcome BanburyMatt. Advice as given above is invaluable, I too would say a long slow run once a week will definitely help you. To introduce myself to you, I live in Germany, am another older runner, will be 69 in September and began running aged 11 with my Dad, who was a lifelong cross country runner. I have completed 54 marathons and 7 Ironman races, unfortunately am banned now from long distance as I have had two hip replacement operations, so restricted to shorter distances and sprint triathlons. My other interest is dog training as we have 2 dogs, a black German Shepherd called Nemo, 11, and a White Swiss Shepherd called Charlie, who will be 6 next month. I don't work too much with Nemo now except for basic obedience work in deference to his age, no jumping, however he is luckily still fit and healthy. Both dogs love to swim, as do my husband John and myself.