Options

New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Options
    Don't think I am competent to advise on your problem, hopefully someone else will have an idea.
  • Options
    tough session yesterday at club weekly indoor training, this time was all floor exercises, no weights, bands, machines of any sort. Much prefer weight lifting work. Off out now for a run with the dogs, then heading to the pool for a long swim. 
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning peeps,

Drum roll please..........did my 5.3 hilly route earlier 5 minutes faster than last week.  Happy girlie  :D

Waves to IW and the doggies.

Aquarius, hope Steve manages to maintain a level of fitness.  The Lake District will be a good tonic for you both.  I feel for you with the problems of snagging lists and builders - so frustrating.

I'm very jealous of all you who don't need glasses all the time as I've been in horrid bottle-bottom varifocals (even with the super-slim lenses you can have these days!) for nearly 25 years.  There's no way I could run in them so I wear contacts.  Plus, since I had the emergency laser treatment last year I get double-vision without glasses/lenses which is challenging to say the least!  I know I'll need cataract removal at some stage which will hopefully eliminate some of the issues.   My next hospital check-up appointment is a couple of days after my birthdau - what a treat!!!

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Well done Red, to improve by a minute a mile on a hilly route is some achievement. Double vision must be very disorientating, was that as a direct result of the laser treatment? (The BT Openreach people who were in your village a couple of days ago have travelled all the way up to the north east to park outside my house just now for their tea break. No wonder their broadband charges are on the increase :))
  • Options
    hillstriderhillstrider ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Red, I'm sure that the yoga sessions are very beneficial for your recovery from gardening and running.
    Those GDPR's are a pain in the backside. I didn't realise how many different organisations have been emailing me, so with great pleasure, I have declined quite a few, which should reduce the amount that I receive.
    Very well done with your 5 minute improvement on your 5.3 mile route. Very impressive. I'm sure next years London Marathon will produce a huge PB.

Aquarius, sounds like you have some nice races lined up,especially the trail ones.
    Hope Steve maintains and improves his fitness, so that he can enjoy his running again.
    Your building work seems to be progressing well, and I'm sure that you will be very relieved when it is all over.
    I used "go compare" to get some quotes for my car insurance renewal, and was impressed with the number of quotes that it showed up. Some were ridiculously cheap and unsuitable, and others more than double my renewal quote. I decided to go back to my current insurer with details of the sort of prices that had been quoted, and after some persuasion, agreed to reduce the price by £100. I accepted, and am happy with the new policy.
    The BT Openreach vans are the bane of my life. They turn up every day without fail, and 99% of the time, park opposite my drive. This makes it very difficult do get out, and almost impossible getting back in,as I can't get the lock to get back in. I did speak to one driver who parked sensibly, and thanked him for being considerate, advising him that most drivers were inconsiderate. He agreed that it made things difficult for me. I think he did have a word with some of the drivers, because for a few days , they parked elsewhere. The problem is, that it's never the same driver, so they have started parking opposite again. Thankfully, they often don't stop for very long, so I can wait until they have gone, before venturing out, and hoping that they won't be back, before I return. Rant over  :D  

DBIW, you must be getting very fit now with your circuit training, running with the dogs and swimming. This is very impressive, after you having hip replacements. I suppose that is because you were very fit before the operations, so have recovered much quicker that unfit people would have done.

I ran 10 miles yesterday, the first 6 with Giuliana. The 6 were on roads, and I completed the last 4 in the forest. I then made the mistake in the afternoon, washing and hoovering my "new car" in the hot sunshine. The wash was drying as I was sponging, and it was hard work, having to keep going over the dry spots. I ended with a nice clean car though, but not so nice back ache. Luckily, today is a rest day, so I can recover for tomorrows hopefully long run.
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Red: Well done on both of your distance and time successes this week

HS: I like the fact that you have a bit of joie de vivre. Italian Restaurants for lunch. My life has become so utilitarian that I can't remember when I last bought a coffee out!

Aquarius: I'm also not a devotee of varifocals. I got some about 18 months ago when I was working. I blunderingly navigated round the office via the corners of my colleagues desks as landmarks. When I looked into the reception area for my visitors, I was forced to identify them by their shape, movement, mannerisms. I couldn't make out a complete image. Varifocals are particularly useless for playing the piano. 

I've done some walking and a challenging bike ride this week, and some extreme gardening, but no running.

I've received a bit of family shock news that will take some time to absorb. Feeling a bit lost and depressed at the moment. 
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Exhausted, so sorry to hear of your family shock news. Sending best wishes and support to you. I’m sure everyone on this thread wishes you well. Keep posting and keep in touch x
  • Options
    Morning all,

Exhausted, I'm also very sorry to hear that you have received some shock family news. Wishing you well and continuing support. Take care x

I ran 12.26 miles in the New Forest yesterday, and it was a bit of a plod, as it was very hot. I only saw one other runner, but quite a few groups of youngsters with an adult, walking with maps. One leader stopped me and asked for directions. I thought that defeated the object of map reading, but I obliged. I got some curious looks from some of the youngsters. They probably wondered why an old man was running in the heat.  There were also lots of dog walkers, and the dogs and their owners were well behaved  :)B)
    Today is a rest day, and I will be watching Mo Farah in the 10k on BBC2 this afternoon.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Exhausted, so sorry to hear you've had shock family news.  Big hugs xxx

TE, well done on your run.

You put me to shame as for first time in ages I did not do a long run yesterday.  I'd worked so hard in the garden the day before that everything hurt. My hands & wrists were screaming at me and I was feeling jolly sorry for myself (stupid arthritis!) so Mike and I went for a nice walk instead to cheer me up.  I must admit that out of all my hobbies it is gardening that would win over everything else if I had to choose.  I have done a couple of hours gardening this morning and will heading out for a run after lunch.
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

HS - you mentioned the Cotswold Way challenge. There is an annual relay race along the length of the Cotswold Way (the complete length in one day) - my club usually enters several teams but it's not something I am fit enough to take part in. You and I obviously approach 'breaking in' new trainers differently! :-) I shopped around for my car insurance this year - my old insurers (More Than) weren't interested in doing any deal for me (a customer of some 10 years) so I went with Churchill. Incidentally, I've also got round to changing my gas supplier (currently in the throes of being completed) - British Gas weren't interested so I've moved to Avro Energy (came recommended by Which). Sorry but I get fed up with people who 'save' things by leaving their towel or bag on them - I would have removed the offending items and placed them on the floor.

Red - luckily we've had no interweb problems for a while (was a bit 'flaky' when we first got it but it's been stable ever since). I'll try and take some photos while I'm doing Hadrian's Wall but when we did the Coast To Coast I got told off for getting left behind (I will need to learn to stop, point, shoot and carry on walking again immediately!). I was chatting to the Secretary of my bowls club who was swearing about all things GDPR - I suggested it stands for Great Damn Pain (in the) Rear ;-) Well done for managing your hilly route in a quicker time than before. My distance eyesight has been and continues to be very good - but I knew I needed reading glasses when my arms were no longer long enough to bring the newspaper into focus! ;-)

Aquarius - as you know I'll be running into the sea at Druridge Bay on 23rd September - better steer clear of the beach that day unless you want to see lots of bare bottoms raising money for MIND ;-) On a more serious note, hope the medical peeps can sort out Steve's problem - nice of you to book a few days in the Lake District for him. I've not had a new house for a long time but well remember how difficult it was to get the builders to finish the items on the 'snagging list' we produced when we did our final house inspection. Keep on at the builders etc. - the assertiveness training I did often comes in useful. The 'broken record' approach (ignore their evasive answers and repeat your request to get them to deal with the problem by continually reminding them it hasn't been done) usually brings results in the end. Re Hadrian's Wall - we're doing the 'best of' and walking from Bowness-on-Solway to Newburn .. 72 miles in total (daily mileages will be 15,18,9,12,18). I've visited Housesteads Fort but this will be the the first time I've walked the path for any distance.

HS (again) - I've also been declining some GDPR emails - very satisfying. If my Ntlworld email address ever stops working (I cancelled my Virgin Media broadband in January) that will also cut down my emails (the companies don't all know my new email address). Re car insurance, More Than had negotiated a better price in the past when faced with a competitor's cheaper quote - but this time they didn't budge. Sorry to hear about your BT Openreach parking woes. Slightly worrying that the 'responsible adult' in the woods (presumably in charge) wasn't able to read his map.

Exhausted - Italian restaurants for lunch and coffees out .. I believe it's called retirement! ;-) Sorry to hear you've heard some shock family news .. sending you best wishes.

I've also had some shock family news over the last few days. My brother needs to go to hospital for a series of scans on Friday morning so I'm driving up there on Thursday to ferry him around the following day (no-one else able to drive or available).

I went to Thursday's club run and managed to get up the 'big hill' again without stopping (yay!). It was our leader Claire's birthday so she bought us all coffees & teas after the run. I went out this morning and did 4mls - it was a bit warm and I'll admit to feeling a bit washed out now (almost nodded off doing the crossword earlier).

I played in a bowls match on Fri afternoon (mixed pairs) but unfortunately Mandy & I were up against one of the better lady players and although we were holding our own for a few ends, she and her playing partner crept inexorably ahead and we were a distant second by the end.

We had my family down for the day yesterday. Margaret was busy baking and preparing beforehand while I kept myself busy sweeping the patio, hoovering and generally titivating the house ready for them.

I've got another bowls match tomorrow afternoon (friendly 'seniors') then on Wednesday I'm going walking with a lady from my running club. We're heading for Kinver (Worcs) and our route includes Kinver Edge (around 12mls in total).

• Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel, I always feel exhausted after reading your posts. How do you fit so many things in (and find time to write such long posts?). I hope everything goes well for your brother on Friday and he doesn’t have to wait too long for his results. Keeping fingers crossed for you both. Thanks for reminding me of your forthcoming exploits at Druridge Bay in September - I’ll make a note on the calendar to steer clear of the whole area that day!

Sorry to hear your arthritis is being so persistent at the moment Red, but good that it isn’t completely stopping you from gardening. The moral of the story though is not to overdo it.

I ran my 5k trail race at Derwent Reservoir yesterday, aiming for under 30 mins and managed 28.51 which I was pleased with as it was a very humid day. Felt full of energy when I got home so showered then went for a walk. In the evening we walked along the Derwent Walk waggonway (an old railway line) to the pub one and a half miles away, which in a previous life was the local railway station. It was getting late so we had a quick drink then walked back along the waggonway fighting off the midges (but still managing to eat a fair number of them). Various itchy lumps and bumps on head and face today - not nice. Today in complete contrast to yesterday I feel tired and lethargic, and hoping the suspicion of a sore throat I’ve noticed is just my imagination. Our new grandson (new to us that is as he was adopted last month) was taken to A and E last night with a very high temperature that turned out to be tonsillitis. We see the family most days as they live just down the street from us, so I’m hoping I haven’t caught anything from him as I have a 10k on Wednesday and another on Sunday.

Re the gutter saga - when the snow brought down the gutters on our house (and another 29 houses) a few weeks ago it was found that although the brackets (for fastening the gutter to the fascia) have two screw holes the contractor had only used one screw. So the builder insisted the contractor come back to repair all the gutters that have come down. Unbelievably when our gutter was replaced last week the contractor has again only fixed the brackets on with one screw!  Our neighbours have found the same thing with their gutters, some have also found damage to their tiles, blockwork, render and plants as a result of the “bull in a china shop” approach of the contractors. 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Morning all, or just afternoon now,

Red, I'm amazed that you can run at all, with all the gardening that you do. A nice walk in lieu sounds ideal.

WtnMel, sorry to hear that your brother has to go to hospital for tests, and hope that they don't find anything serious.
    You must be getting very fit now, with running, walking, bowling and even "general household duties!" Good luck with your bowls match, and hope you enjoy your walk tomorrow.

Aquarius, well done getting under your target for the 5k trail race. Always a good idea going to the pub after a race. Midges are a real nuisance, and don't seem bothered by insect repellent.
    Hope your sore throat doesn't develop into anything, and that your Grandson's tonsillitis isn't too serious. I believe that these days they don't believe in removing tonsils. When my sister was young, she had her tonsils and adenoids removed.
    Good luck with two 10k's
    Unbelievable the incompetence of the contractor!

We had a "new" spin instructor this morning, as the regular Tuesday lady is on 2 weeks holiday. She concentrated mainly on hill work, with hill climbs and hill sprints. I remained seated, as usual, which makes it harder than when standing.  

I ran 8 miles in the forest yesterday morning, and rather over did it in the 21 degree heat. The last 2 miles were really slow. I also aggravated my left knee, which is frustrating, as the right knee, is virtually trouble free now. This mornings spin session does seem to have helped the knee, as it didn't hurt during the session.

I've just had a filling come out, so will have to make an appointment with my Dentist.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Another tough spin session this morning with HITTS on flat road, HITTS on hills and longer sprints on hills and on the flat.

Went to my dentist this afternoon for a filling and nearly fell off the chair when he advised it would be £73.60 for a white filling. I queried this, advising that I had a dental plan. He said that this was classed as emergency treatment, and was a £15 reduction in price under the policy.

Left knee is still feeling a bit sore, so might not run tomorrow, as a precaution.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Gardening has been interrupted by RAIN!  I stayed out getting wet as long as I could but now it's torrential so I've come in for a pot of tea.  I've had hideous runs the last 2 days as my asthma didn't like the high humidity and pollen.  The first half of todays 6 miler was OK but the return was tough and I was wheezing like a wheezy thing!

TE, dentists abide by their own pricing rules don't they!  Perhaps your other knee has been over-compensating for the one that had issues?  Take care whatever you decide to do.

Aquarius, I feel your pain with building work of any description especially when you get stuck with someone who clearly doesn't take pride in his work.  Hope you get it sorted soon.  I did chuckle at your advice "not to overdo it", a concept I always have trouble grasping! 

Right, tea time  :)
  • Options
    Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    how Old do u need to be to post in here? I am 43 is that old enough? I can still sleep through the night without getting up for a pee, I can eat without spilling it down myself and I can’t remeber the last time entered a post office, so maybe I need to age a bit more first? Hehehe.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Red, it rained heavily here too yesterday, but didn't start until late afternoon. I hope conditions improve so that your asthma isn't such a problem.
    I think that you are right in that I have probably been over-compensating on the "good leg." I also think that Wednesdays spin session may have aggravated it too. I think I may have been on a different bike, as they do move them about, and I didn't check its number. I felt that my left foot wasn't quite straight in the toe clip, and was therefore putting a strain on the knee. I always adjust the height of the saddle and handle bars, so assume it must have been the toe clip. I'm resting for another day or two to see how it goes.

Welcome to the forum Andy B6, and hope you will be a regular contributor. There are no minimum or maximum age requirements, and I'm 72. Are you an experienced runner, or just starting up? We are always happy to advise and encourage our members.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

No running today but still plenty of cross-training with some heavy digging/weeding work.  I've got a marathon or possibly an ultra depending on the weather on Monday.

TE, wise to have a bit of a rest to let it recover.

AndyB6, was that a late-night-alcohol-fuelled post or genuine interest?  Welcome to the thread if it's the latter.

Have a lovely long weekend everyone  :D:)
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Aaah, I see!  So do you actually run then?
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Andy B6: Welcome. To be a member of this exclusive club you need the essential grammatical knowledge to know when to apply upper and lower case in the correct context, to spell correctly and to use punctuation appropriately. I suggest you have a few drinks before posting again as your grammar and pathetic humour can't get much worse.  
  • Options
    I like a few old peculiars every saturday night.
    Today I pissed off a cyclist by telling him that his sort only ride bikes coz they are shyte at running.lol
    Its true though!!!
  • Options
    ExhaustedExhausted ✭✭✭
    Andy B6. Not at all. Let me congratulate you on your recent ability to control night time incontinence and your mastering of the knife and fork!
  • Options
    Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Redhead, yeah I run a little bit, but mainly only during the spring and summer.  During the winter, I play football, and lift weights so I don’t have much time for running.  At the moment, I am slowly building up my mileage ready for the Great North Run in September.  I’ll do about 30 km this week, but that will be up to 50 by August,

I really hate long runs, I find them so boring.  My favourite is a fast (for me) 5k.  And from next week i will be a park run regular.  I only get to do park runs from June to August as the rest of the time I have to take my son to his football matches on a Saturday morning.

He likes to run a little bit too. He does the odd park run and is pretty quick for a small boy, and annoyingly a lot faster than me.  

How much do you run? And how long have u been running?

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Good morning all,

I am just about starting to feel bright and breezy after the wine club last night.  I didn't drink very much but it really knocked me out, perhaps because I hadn't eaten much beforehand - what a lightweight!  Thankfully I'd already decided not to run today.

LOL at the banter between Exhausted and AndyB6!

AndyB6, I run quite a bit (ahem), no I should say I run a lot.  I started running 16 years ago to train for the Race4Life in memory of a friend and now run marathons/ultras (147 so far) to raise money for Alzheimer's Research UK (ARUK) in memory of my mum.  I find long runs very contemplative and love running through the countryside.

I've only done 3 Parkruns when I've been speaking out about the latest initiatives they have with ARUK as they are all at least 12 miles away and I'd rather spend the time taken to get there and back running rather than driving.  You'll find them very beneficial as part of your half marathon training.  Well done to your son for doing Parkrun.  I think it's a wonderful way to engage youngsters in sport.

Have a lovely weekend everyone whatever you're doing and please keep your fingers crossed for my marathon on Monday as I don't fancy yet another where I get soaked to the skin!  Right, more coffee required.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Best of luck with the marathon on Monday Red! The weather forecast for my neck of the woods is partly cloudy and 25 degrees. On Tuesday it is 100% chance of thunderstorms  :/  

I haven't run since Monday, as my left knee is still aching. On the plus side, the right knee which was the injured one, seems to be fine now. I'm hoping to try a run on Monday to see how it goes. I really want to be able to do the "Race for Men," which is on the 17th June, and is in aid of Prostate Cancer Research. It will be my first race for a year. 
  • Options
    WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

It wasn't good news re my brother (and thank you for your kind thoughts). I'm taking him to hospital tomorrow as he is having a major op on Monday. He'll be there for three weeks and I'll be busy providing support to him and my Mum (90) over the next few weeks. So my postings will no doubt be more intermittent than usual. Given the uncertainties of the next few months I've cancelled my planned Hadrian's Wall walking holiday in July. 

Meanwhile ..

Aquarius - and there was me thinking you might be joining us dippers at Druridge in September ;-) I can't believe those gutter contractors (there again, I can!) so I hope the builders withheld payment until they used some additional screws.

HS - well done for continuing to stay seated when at your spinning class. Hope your post-run left knee niggle doesn't cause you any problems.

*waves* to Red and Exhausted

The walk at Kinver Edge last week turned out to be 13mls. My feet were sore afterwards and I wondered how they would feel after 18 (max. mileage on Hadrian's Wall). But obviously, now I've cancelled the walking holiday I won't be finding out.

With the ups and down re my brother I'm just going to fit in any running as and when I can and will get back into a regular routine once things have settled down a bit.

• Options
    Morning all,

Can't believe it's 4 days since my last post, must be slipping.

WtnMel, sorry to hear the bad news about your brother, but hope the operation on Monday will be a success! A pity that you have had to cancel your walking holiday, but obviously family takes priority.
    My left knee niggle is feeling better today, after spin yesterday and today on a "decent bike." We removed the dodgy bike into the gym, as we thought the management might take notice, as they had taken no action previously, despite being reported several times. I ran 6.6 miles on Monday in that intense heat, which did the knee no good whatsoever.

Red, hope your marathon on Monday went well, and that it was not as hot as it was in the New Forest.

Good spin sessions yesterday and today, and I attained my fastest pace of 35.2 km per hr in a sprint this morning.
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon peeps,

What extreme weather we've had!  I've never seen lightning like it over the wekend, with thunder to rattle everything, torrential rain and giant hailstones.  Oh, the heat and humidity vcertainly didn't help my asthma.

I got well and truly baked right from the start on Monday, even at 7:30 it was 23 degrees and by the time I'd finished around 1pm it was 29 degrees.  My suncream had melted after the first lap (8 laps for a marathon, I forgot all thoughts of going ultra!).  I settled into a gentle pace with a target of 5.5 hour finish with 2.5 hours for halfway and then 3 hours or wotteva for the 2nd half.  They'd changed the route to be the opposite way round from before and it was easier as the uphills weren't as bad - it was undulating enough for lots of people to be walking the hills from the start although I didn't walk any until lap 6 onwards.  Came in just under 5.5 hours but forgot to stop my watch so can't be precise as the results aren't out yet.  Was very glad to get home before the horrendous weather hit again very close to where I'd been so I was lucky.

That was marathon 148 with the next one this weekend at the Dambusters Challenge tight at the very place where they tested the bombs!

WtnMel, so sorry to hear the bad news about your brother and hope the operation was successful.  Thinking of you xxx

TE, rest that sore knee please!  Good spinning though :)
  • Options
    AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    WtnMel, so sorry to hear the news wasn’t good for your brother. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed for you both on Monday. What a shame about your Hadrian’s Wall holiday, but as HS says family comes first. I don’t think I could walk 13 miles in one go, it’s a strange thing but I find I can run longer distances than I can walk. I tend to end up all aches and pains after a long walk but if I was to run the same distance I would manage it ok.

Red, that sounded like a very hot uncomfortable marathon, but lucky you managed to escape the bad weather. The weather here has been misty and cool the last few days, which is a big change from last week when we had one or two lovely hot days, no thunderstorms though luckily.

HS good idea to remove that “dodgy” bike to the gym. Do you think it was that which has caused your knee to flare up again recently?

I haven’t run since my trail race a week past Sunday as I started with achy teeth the following day, not like toothache from a decayed tooth more like really sensitive teeth. I had something similar this time last year, along with sore ears and throat and a heavy feeling in my head due to congestion. I thought it was a virus at the time, but it continued for months on and off. The GP thought it might have been due to an allergen, such as pollen or dust or pollution etc. It went away last year before we managed to narrow it down, but now it seems to have returned and, significantly I believe, at the same time of year and after walking past trees with clouds of pollen coming off them. So (after getting an x-ray at the dentist on Friday to make sure the pain wasn’t due to an abcess or decay) I’ve started taking an antihistamine and I think things are improving. My teeth don’t hurt as much or as often ,but unfortunately in the meantime I've had to miss our club 10k last Wednesday (but marshalled instead) and also couldn’t do the Druridge Bay 10k on Sunday. I was really looking forward to both these races so I was pretty fed up to have to give them a miss. However as the sensitivity has reduced since starting the antihistamines (coincidence?) I’ve managed to get out for a run the last couple of days, it still aches a bit while I’m running but not nearly as bad as it was a week ago. Fingers crossed it goes completely.

Last Friday Steve and I attended an emergency meeting called to discuss the future of our club. We are in the fortunate position of owning our own clubhouse, but we just lease the land, including the running track, from the council. The council now say they cannot afford to maintain the facility any longer so they are looking for some other body to take it over. If we don’t take it on ourselves there are other interested bodies who might step in then we would lose our track and possibly face increased rent costs for the land our clubhouse is on. Also we have only a very small group of volunteers running everything and under our current status they would be personally liable in the event of any accidents. To remedy this we need to take on a charitable status and look for funding or grants, to qualify for which we need to satisfy a number of requirements, including getting a lot more members to volunteer to take on roles within the club, whether fundraising, admin, food hygiene, finance, health and safety etc etc. I’ve volunteered to help with fundraising ideas. I’ve no previous experience in this so hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew! Sport England have assessed the current state of our track and infield area and we’ll need substantial amounts of money just to bring things up to scratch, then there will be the ongoing cost of maintenance. We are already a large and popular club with national and international record holders, but we have over 100 youngsters on waiting lists because we do not have enough coaches currently, so we need to persuade more members to get coaching qualifications. Also we may also need to expand our clubhouse. Yikes - I think we’re going to need a lottery win to do all this.  :/

• Options
    Morning all,

Red, you did really well running that marathon in such extreme conditions, and finishing under your target time. Good luck with the Dambusters Challenge at the weekend. I don't know where you find all those marathons, as the race finder on here is absolute rubbish. I find fetch is best for that purpose, and you can also add races yourselves.
    I'm pleased to say that I am resting the knee for another few days. Well, not really pleased, as I would rather be running, but common sense must prevail. Where did I put my sensible hat  :|

Aquarius, yes, I believe the "dodgy bike" that I used last week did contribute to my knee flaring up again. My left foot didn't seem to fit correctly in the toe clip, so probably put a strain on the leg. Some of the regulars wear special shoes which have what I think is called a cleat, on the underside, which fit onto the pedals without having to use the toe clips.
    I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your teeth, ears and throat, but pleased that the antihistamines seem to be working. It's sounding positive, the fact that you have managed to get out again running, so hopefully, the problems will "go away."
    I do hope that you will be able to solve the problems regarding the future of your club. Have you considered contacting England Athletics for advice and possible help?  My club is quite small, in respect of members, probably around 150, and only about 20 or so regularly attend club sessions. We do not have our own club house or track, but have the use of the Health and Leisure Centre showers for a small charge. We have the use of a grass running track at a nearby school once a week, for an agreed sum. I don't know what it is. We have 4 Coaches and a committee, and all are volunteers. We do not cater for young runners. We are a non profit making club, as any profits are donated to several charities. This doesn't help your problems, but I thought you might find it interesting. 
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

No running today, too wet and horrid and I don't feel the need!

Aquarius, oh poor you re the teeth etc.  The pollen count is horrendous this year and my hayfever and asthma symptoms are pretty severe and MIke's really suffering too.  I hope the antihistamine's helped and glad to hear you've managed to run.  Do take care though as hayfever can be debilitating for some people.  Your running club problems sound rather challenging but a big club like yours needs to continue doesn't it.  Wonderful that you have a waiting list of youngsters too.  I hope you can find a solution.

TE, I use the 100 club website and Facebook for my marathons plus I get emails from lots of RDs who are friends.  Keep that common sense hat in place for a while please x