Options

Possible stress fracture? How long to heal?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to running and really grateful to anyone who can offer some advice/thoughts regarding some shin troubles.
I've had quite a few injury problems getting into running (shin splits, arch pain, IT-band troubles) and I'm currently experiencing pain on my right shin only, which is preventing me from running and getting me a little worried. I've only been running short distances (up to 4 miles) and very slowly (between 7:30 and 9:00 mins per mile), never running on consecutive days, and spending plenty of time stretching as my calves tend to get very tight. Over the past week or so, I've developed considerable pain on the inside of my right shin, which feels a little different from shin splint problems I've had before (although I know that's a very inaccurate term). It's kind of hard to pinpoint the pain exactly, but when I walk at the moment I can feel a dull pain 'deep' inside my shin/tibia. It's not extreme, but it's uncomfortable, and it can get worse with activity. Most of the shin doesn't feel painful to press, but there is a small spot that hurts a bit when I push down on it - directly above my inner ankle and about a third of the way up my lower leg. It's not hugely painful when I push down on it, just slightly. It hurts to hop, which suggests to me that I have a stress fracture, but I imagined that the pain would be worse for a stress fracture - does this sound familiar to anyone? My shin doesn't throb when I'm at rest, and it's only when my leg bears weight that it feels uncomfortable. Cycling seems to help relieve the pain, as does stretching my calf slightly - but only temporarily, and the pain comes back again later as I walk around etc. I've not run for two days now but I really wouldn't fancy trying to run at the moment.
I'm so enthusiastic about running at the moment, having fought through so many other injury issues, so I'm really dreading the idea of having 6-8 weeks off to recover from a stress fracture. I wondered whether anyone else had had these symptoms, and whether it could just be a very early stage of a stress fracture that might not take quite so long to heal?
Thank you to anyone who comments :-)

Comments

• Options
    I forgot to mention - there is a bump/lump on the area of my shin that hurts, which I've been icing over the past couple of days. Today the lump/bump seems to have reduced a fair bit, but when I first got up the pain when I walked around was the worst yet. I'd read that stress fractures tend to feel better when you wake up because you've rested overnight..?